WoD - Is there CONFIRMED no flying-and more

General Discussion
Hey,

I dont see anywhere that Blizz CONFIRMED there will be no flying, also, what will happen to flying mounts? Will they be for Pandaria, Eastern Kingdoms, Northrend, and Kalimdor only?
They're just not allowing flying in Draenor until the first major patch.

Yes, people are talking about quitting for not being able to fly for the first couple of months in one specific area.
According to the most recent blue post, the plan is to disable flying in Draenor until patch 6.1.

However, Alex Afrasiabi's tweet and the recent statement of intent to make all flying mounts usable on the ground lead people to believe that the option to disable flying permanently in Draenor is still on the table.

1 - 90 content will continue to have flying enabled.
03/16/2014 07:57 AMPosted by Frreeze
Yes, people are talking about quitting for not being able to fly for the first couple of months in one specific area.

A specific area which happens to constitute the entirety of current content.
Are you genuinely kidding me? People are QQing this much about not flying for ONE PATCH?

Though in disappointed about all flying mounts on the ground, I'm very much so, no support from me there.
*note* because many ground mounts are pretty rare and really hard to get, with all of the flying mounts, it would make BG's and other places 1. uncomfortable and 2. Make hard to get ground mounts irrelevant as people can use their flying ones anywere.
03/16/2014 08:01 AMPosted by Tracte
Are you genuinely kidding me? People are QQing this much about not flying for ONE PATCH?

Though in disappointed about all flying mounts on the ground, I'm very much so, no support from me there.
*note* because many ground mounts are pretty rare and really hard to get, with all of the flying mounts, it would make BG's and other places 1. uncomfortable and 2. Make hard to get ground mounts irrelevant as people can use their flying ones anywere.

Considering people get to 100 in about a week or so, and 6.1 may be anywhere from three to four months away from release, it is a rather long period by comparison to previous expansions.
Still, if they only cant fly in WoD, what does it matter? They can sit around SW/anywere they feel like and use flight masters/a bit of ground to get were they need.

Also, if they only cant fly in Draenor for one patch, whats the point in letting all flying mounts be ground.
this is looking to make for one memorable launch month. can't wait
03/16/2014 08:11 AMPosted by Tracte
Still, if they only cant fly in WoD, what does it matter? They can sit around SW/anywere they feel like and use flight masters/a bit of ground to get were they need.

Also, if they only cant fly in Draenor for one patch, whats the point in letting all flying mounts be ground.

What does it matter? It matters to Blizzard.

They've stated many, many times that their intent is to get people "out in the world" - one of the reasons why so much of content in early to mid MoP revolved around daily quests. This change to a perfectly good system that they intend to deliver with Warlords will work against that goal since less convenient travel will discourage people from, as you say, ever leaving Stormwind or their garrisons.

My personal opinion is that the flying mount change is a desperate (and ineffective) attempt to sweeten the lack of flying for the people they're worried they're pissing off.
03/16/2014 08:16 AMPosted by Dawnstríke
03/16/2014 08:11 AMPosted by Tracte

What does it matter? It matters to Blizzard.

They've stated many, many times that their intent is to get people "out in the world" - one of the reasons why so much of content in early to mid MoP revolved around daily quests. This change to a perfectly good system that they intend to deliver with Warlords will work against that goal since less convenient travel will discourage people from, as you say, ever leaving Stormwind or their garrisons.

My personal opinion is that the flying mount change is a desperate (and ineffective) attempt to sweeten the lack of flying for the people they're worried they're pissing off.

Get people out in the world? It isn't like my flying mount was launching me into outer space or anything.

I'm pretty sure I'm still in the world when I'm on a flying mount.
03/16/2014 08:21 AMPosted by Hashail
Get people out in the world? It isn't like my flying mount was launching me into outer space or anything.

I'm pretty sure I'm still in the world when I'm on a flying mount.

Using their terminology, not mind. Their definition of "out in the world" means out in the world and on the ground, visible to other players (gankable if you're unfortunate enough to be on a PvP realm).

The problem is, rather than actually making the content somewhat interesting as an incentive to get out in the world, they'd rather restrict player convenience. Clearly none of them has taken a course in psychology.
So far they haven't set anything in stone, but it seems extremely likely that there won't be flying until 6.1.

From the sounds of it, it will be similar to MoP in that there's no flying in current content, except it will be that way from the beginning instead of letting you fly for a couple months and then giving you islands where you can't.
03/16/2014 08:26 AMPosted by Gávinn
Unless they put quests in the cities and garrisons that take them out into the world.

Which they're unlikely to do given they've learned the hard way the price of gating relevant content behind daily quests.
Ok guys, because SOMEONE needs to be the voice of knowledge, here are the relevant places where the "wait and see" approach was revealed by the GAME DIRECTOR.

https://twitter.com/Abrosiabi/status/442737570435190784

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8P4xSFOj0M

Read it, watch it, just don't come back and say you don't see the same danger we do.
03/16/2014 08:16 AMPosted by Dawnstríke

AKA Damage Control.
03/16/2014 09:03 AMPosted by Granis
Read it, watch it, just don't come back and say you don't see the same danger we do

The personal opinion of one Blizzard employee means nothing and doesn't constitute an accurate reflection of what will or won't happen in regards to flying mounts. I don't care if he is the CEO or the janitor.

Bottom line is he's just doing his job, which is to get his creative team to think about all areas of game design. The reality though is that there are too many reasons why this would be a bad idea, not least the size of each zone. They already have a method of travel that enables players to move around quickly, replacing this mode of travel would be a time consuming waste of resources. I reckon this will be far more influential on the design of future expansions than the opinion of a creative director.

Sure you could replace fast travel with ports, either created by enchanters, from garrisons or from major city hubs like Org and SW, but if you do this what is the point of spending time designing scenery in gaming zones? They are well aware that no one is going to waste their time out in the world if it takes too long to get anywhere. Flying will never be removed from the game unless a viable alternative can be found that doesn't keep players pinned to cities and garrisons.
03/16/2014 09:26 AMPosted by Fluke
Read it, watch it, just don't come back and say you don't see the same danger we do

The personal opinion of one Blizzard employee means nothing and doesn't constitute an accurate reflection of what will or won't happen in regards to flying mounts. I don't care if he is the CEO or the janitor.

Bottom line is he's just doing his job, which is to get his creative team to think about all areas of game design. The reality though is that there are too many reasons why this would be a bad idea, not least the size of each zone. They already have a method of travel that enables players to move around quickly, replacing this mode of travel would be a time consuming waste of resources. I reckon this will be far more influential on the design of future expansions than the opinion of a creative director.

Sure you could replace fast travel with ports, either created by enchanters, from garrisons or from major city hubs like Org and SW, but if you do this what is the point of spending time designing scenery in gaming zones? They are well aware that no one is going to waste their time out in the world if it takes too long to get anywhere. Flying will never be removed from the game unless a viable alternative can be found that doesn't keep players pinned to cities and garrisons.

This isn't just any developer. This is the GAME DIRECTOR. His word is god when it comes to the direction this game takes.
Ok guys, because SOMEONE needs to be the voice of knowledge, here are the relevant places where the "wait and see" approach was revealed by the GAME DIRECTOR.

It doesn't matter. Several people in every flying thread have linked the actual statements from everyone at Blizzard who's ever said anything about flying and people still believe what they're going to believe.

Last night I linked the tweet that said "we'll see" and that literally got a "see, I told you they've already made up their minds!" response.

It's useless.
03/16/2014 07:57 AMPosted by Frreeze
They're just not allowing flying in Draenor until the first major patch.

This is no longer set in stone. blizz is taking a "wait and see" stance now.