Option to disable Battle.net launcher for WoW

General Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 4 25 Next
03/14/2014 12:26 PMPosted by Neomon
Are you starting the B.net desktop launcher every time you want to launch WoW?

For the brief moment I had it installed, yes, it was configured to shut itself down when it launches a game. We had a raid yesterday, and I didn't want it to interfere with those 3 hours.

And to be honest, as it grants direct access to my WoW account, it's not the kind of application I would keep running in the background.
03/14/2014 11:15 AMPosted by Myrachan
03/14/2014 11:13 AMPosted by Jenha
It's a bit sad that there's no option to disable the new Battle.net launcher for WoW.

Installed HearthStone yesterday, got my shiny new mount, seemed like a nice little game, but it got the axe the moment I realized that WoW now used the new launcher instead of the usual one, and that there was no way around it.

Oh well.

Don't be surprised if the battlenet launcher completely replaces WoW's for WoD.

This is pretty much a guarantee, I think Blizz has even publicly stated it will be happening.

I have avoided it so far, just because, but I think we should all get on board!
Also, just an FYI, you can leave feedback, report bugs, and receive technical support for the app over at the Battle.net forums.

Thanks a lot for the information, I wasn't aware there was a new forum for the launcher itself.

As for the options, I didn't find a way for it to behave like I would have wanted it to, which is to automatically update WoW, but not other games. I must admit I didn't spend too much time in the options, I had a quick look and used a more drastic measure to stop the launcher from doing D3 files reorganizing.
Has anyone found a way to disable Battle.net from launching when you try to launch Wow Launcher? I know if you use WoW.exe it goes directly to the log in screen, but when you use WoW Launcher it opens the new battle net app. Is there a way for Wow Launcher to open Wow Launcher? I looked through all the game settings I could find in battle.net app but couldn't find anything to stop it from launching when I double click WoW Launcher.

I'm currently planning to uninstall Hearthstone if I cannot figure out a way to get back to old (individual) launcher for WoW. I don't want to use Battle net launcher except if I have to for Heartstone. I find the new launcher intrusive since it's an unnecessary window open on my desktop. This is not a request to encourage me to learn to like it. If it ever becomes mandatory I will deal with it then. Right now I can still uninstall Hearthstone to get back WoW.
I personally love the BNet launcher. Don't have to put in my password every time. Honestly, I think it's nearly required for a hardcore heroic raider too. You can get back in very quickly after a DC.

And I can see which friends are playing which game. Have nothing bad to say about it actually.

If you switch between Blizzard games often, it's a must.
I like, but my only complaint is that it doesn't support classic games like Warcraft/Diablo.
I have no issues with the launcher. Works well and allows me to keep all my Blizz games up to date... Including D3 since the overhaul.

03/14/2014 12:47 PMPosted by Hipperz
I like, but my only complaint is that it doesn't support classic games like Warcraft/Diablo.

That would be nice, but since they don't have a ton of updates I suppose they are reserving the launcher for current games.
03/14/2014 11:34 AMPosted by Kèltor
ITS GREAT! No typing or doing the authenticator....

03/14/2014 11:45 AMPosted by Felwaffles
I don't have to put authenticator every time I login

If you do not want to be secure and enter your authenticator numbers at each login , Why did you buy and add the dang thing in the first dang place?? geesh.
03/14/2014 11:27 AMPosted by Selenitic
Why is this an issue? The same game is played, and the same updates come through to your end of the line. The only difference is that the launcher looks different, and Blizzard has an easy way to visually promote its other products. Also, the new launcher allows for quick access to news articles from Blizzards main site.

So unless the B.net launcher is eating your hard drive (and it's not), there isn't a problem here.

There are several positives and negatives to the B.net app. Some positives will be the ability to login once for all your games and have an active login even when you aren't playing, as well as the ability to update games without running separate launchers. Some of the negatives will be the inability to play games without the b.net app being up. Right now you can't even launch Hearthstone without B.net running, and any attempt to launch a second instance of Hearthstone (even with a second B.net app running) will result in error.

If this is the direction Wow, D3, and SC2 are heading once the Bnet app goes 'live,' then I foresee several problems with games stemming from the app itself.

03/14/2014 12:53 PMPosted by Borage
If you do not want to be secure and enter your authenticator numbers at each login , Why did you buy and add the dang thing in the first dang place?? geesh.

You buy an authenticator as an extra layer of security, preventing people who might get your information from being able to login without your authenticator. You don't buy the authenticator so you can punch in an extra code every time you log in. That's why there's an option to have your computer saved for 30 days after using an authenticator code.
03/14/2014 12:42 PMPosted by Aestas
Has anyone found a way to disable Battle.net from launching when you try to launch Wow Launcher? I know if you use WoW.exe it goes directly to the log in screen, but when you use WoW Launcher it opens the new battle net app. Is there a way for Wow Launcher to open Wow Launcher? I looked through all the game settings I could find in battle.net app but couldn't find anything to stop it from launching when I double click WoW Launcher.

I'm currently planning to uninstall Hearthstone if I cannot figure out a way to get back to old (individual) launcher for WoW. I don't want to use Battle net launcher except if I have to for Heartstone. I find the new launcher intrusive since it's an unnecessary window open on my desktop. This is not a request to encourage me to learn to like it. If it ever becomes mandatory I will deal with it then. Right now I can still uninstall Hearthstone to get back WoW.

That's precisely why I made this thread.

I'm having the very same concern, I didn't find any way to either have the Battle.net client not interfere with WoW, or start HearthStone without the Battle.net client.

So both got uninstalled pretty fast. Shame, as HearthStone might have proven to be a nice little game to dabble in.
It is pretty annoying we need to run a big resource heavier-than-it-should-be launcher full of ads just to play the game now, to then get in the game to see a giant glowing gold SHOP button.

Also to everyone trying to get rid of HS and the launcher, I had to manually go into my program files and delete them from there. No uninstall option, go figure.
03/14/2014 12:32 PMPosted by Jenha
Also, just an FYI, you can leave feedback, report bugs, and receive technical support for the app over at the Battle.net forums.

Thanks a lot for the information, I wasn't aware there was a new forum for the launcher itself.

As for the options, I didn't find a way for it to behave like I would have wanted it to, which is to automatically update WoW, but not other games. I must admit I didn't spend too much time in the options, I had a quick look and used a more drastic measure to stop the launcher from doing D3 files reorganizing.

There is a way to do exactly that!

If you head into settings, then the "Game Install/Update" tab and scroll down to "Automatic Updates", at the bottom there will be 'game specific settings'. Click it, and you can turn off everything except WoW. You can even turn off 'future updates', if it downloading those causes you problems.
Your computer must blow takes it 5 secs for it pull wow up for me.
03/14/2014 11:31 AMPosted by Archet
I also love the Launcher.

Quicker access to any blizzard game (no logging or typing passwords), plus i get to see my friends that are online and can get updates to all games faster.

Just give it a chance!

EDIT: plus it lets you buy Game-time in 3 clicks (and tells you how much you have left)

This! I have two accounts and it makes it so much easier to log into them, bypassing the log in screen. I love it.
I bought and played diablo 3 for the first time last night and didn't realize I was getting a new launcher, I don't mind it....I kind of like it, it's like Steam. But I notice it takes a little while for warcraft to load now but I guess that's ok.
03/14/2014 12:53 PMPosted by Borage
03/14/2014 11:34 AMPosted by Kèltor
ITS GREAT! No typing or doing the authenticator....

03/14/2014 11:45 AMPosted by Felwaffles
I don't have to put authenticator every time I login

No one hacks my account from my desktop, they do it from China or Taiwan. If someone logs in from somewhere other than the PCs I have authorized, then they're prompted to enter the key.
03/14/2014 12:27 PMPosted by Bashiok
I'd recommend checking out the settings. There are quite a few different options to make the app work the way you want it to, including managing individual game updates yourself instead of it applying them automatically, and if you want the app to ask you for a password each time you start it.

Also, just an FYI, you can leave feedback, report bugs, and receive technical support for the app over at the [url="http://us.battle.net/en/forum/index"]Battle.net forums[/url].

Let me make this clear, Bashiok. I'm 'old school'. If I want to click on my WoW icon and have it directly open my game, I should have THAT option. If I want to use your crappy little WoW app/launcher thing, I should have that option.

The fact that YOU think I need MY desktop 'cleaned up' or I can't keep it organized is pretty damned infuriating and condescending, quite frankly.

I don't give a flying FLIP if I can change settings in the options menu. The fact that Blizzard thinks I apparently need to be babysat is somewhat on the order of a metric ton of orc waste.
03/14/2014 12:42 PMPosted by Aestas

I'm currently planning to uninstall Hearthstone if I cannot figure out a way to get back to old (individual) launcher for WoW. I don't want to use Battle net launcher except if I have to for Heartstone.

They key question you must ask yourself here is what does the old launcher offer you that the new one does not? So far from my experience the options on the new launcher seem to offer a lot of control over updating, logging on, logging off, and launching games for users who find themselves needing it. As well as doing a better job of providing information on games such as the latest patch notes and news in more obvious places. Keep in mind it also has the possibility for even more options and features to be added to it in the future. (I believes I heards a lil something something about some chatness?)

The only things the previous launcher did for you were news, patch notes, updates, and launching the game. The BNet launcher has all of that covered and more from what I can tell.

03/14/2014 12:32 PMPosted by Jenha

I found the options I think your looking for by clicking the launcher icon in the upper left>settings> from the left column select Game Install/Update> scroll down to the Automatic Updates section> Select the Game specific option. The there you can set games other than wow to never update and wow to download the latest & future updates.

I think that accomplishes what you are asking for.