Option to disable Battle.net launcher for WoW

General Discussion
Prev 1 5 6 7 25 Next
Is there any way chance, for the future, to give the launcher the option of launching WoW from separate install directories? I used to have a 2nd install for my 2nd account, allowing it to use lower settings (back in the day) for concurrent use (2 games open at once.)

The launcher seems to get wonky when I try this now, it complains about already being open, or starts crashing if I enable the box for allowing multiple launchers.

Sure, I can (and generally do, because of these issues) just launch the game from its non-launcher executable, but this doesn't seem to retain my authentication anymore.

I find it beneficial to have 2 installs because it seems to reduce long loads due to 2 processes trying to load the same on disk assets from the same file locations, as well as allowing two separate game client settings for performance.
I installed Hearthstone to get the WoW mount, and it autoinstalled the battle.net app. I play on multiple computers, and every single time I switched computers it would ask me for the authenticator. Heck, I could be logged out for five minutes on the same computer and it would still ask me again. "I see you just logged out of WoW on this IP address. Let me get your authenticator again so I know it's really you!" I've also had problems with not being able to play Diablo 3 because the app launcher for it won't work, but when I launch WoW and move to Diablo 3 it magically works.

I won't be using it until that is fixed, or until there's no longer a choice whether or not to use it.
03/14/2014 02:39 PMPosted by Bashiok
World of Warcraft has had a launcher for the purposes of file version verification since at least 2003. The Battle.net desktop app is, for the purposes of this discussion, an updated launcher.

I never use launchers. I just mapped my desktop shortcuts to the *.exe files for each game. If I need to update...well then...I'll be prompted for an update for the game. With that said, the desktop app is definitely flexible enough to fit: Every. Single. Preference. Possible.

However: I recommend Blizzard create a list of offline games to play specifically during patch downloads. I suggest "Moonfire the Game" and other things like it, to pass the time.
03/14/2014 03:02 PMPosted by Cyous
However: I recommend Blizzard create a list of offline games to play specifically during patch downloads.

If you used the launcher you'd have downloaded the patch data well in advance, and wouldn't need to wait. :)
03/14/2014 02:27 PMPosted by Gilloch
What the heck ever happened to just double clicking the executable and running the game.

That doesn't need "improving."

Online games, like World of Warcraft, usually require that everyone playing use the same files and file versions to ensure content parity. If you and I are playing and the information we each hold about the game differs, it becomes exceedingly difficult for the server to reconcile how those differences play out and also how the client perceives those differences. Everyone needs to be playing the same game, essentially. To help try to make that process smoother, a launcher that starts up before the game checks file versions when starting the game. If your files are not current a patch is downloaded and installed. Additionally, we've added functionality for the launcher to download future patch data ahead of time to reduce the time required on patch day to get into the game, as well as the ability to stream game data so that the entire game doesn't need to be downloaded for new players, or those just reinstalling.

World of Warcraft has had a launcher for the purposes of file version verification since at least 2003. The Battle.net desktop app is, for the purposes of this discussion, an updated launcher.

Honestly that doesn't justify the setup used. The battle.net launcher severely overcomplicates it.

Take a look at steam for example, They do it properly.

Individual games still appear as launchable shortcuts where you would normally expect them. They don't bring you to the page that updates your game, They launch the game directly. If for whatever reason the game is out of date (auto updating should keep it current, leaving the battle.net launcher running does that already) it shows a status bar for the update and only that, once the status bar is complete it launches. It does not cancel the launch nor does it redirect you to the launcher.

There are WoW/D3/HS shortcuts, However they currently direct like this.

"E:\Diablo III\Diablo III Launcher.exe"

What they should be doing is utilizing flags.

"E:\Diablo III\Diablo III.exe -runnow"

Here's the steam launcher for example: steam://rungameid/239160
Not sure if this has already been said but you don't need the bnet launcher to play WoW. Just uninstall it and you can still play WoW. Now Hearthstone I'm not sure of.
03/14/2014 03:05 PMPosted by Bashiok
03/14/2014 03:02 PMPosted by Cyous
However: I recommend Blizzard create a list of offline games to play specifically during patch downloads.

If you used the launcher you'd have downloaded the patch data well in advance, and wouldn't need to wait. :)

This is for things like Diablo III -- which I had not played in 6-or-so months. "I don't need it if I'm not playing." That sort of thing. And it depends on the patch! A 5.4.7 patch compared to the 6.0.X patch...those are two different beasts. Waiting 5min or a download is fine. An hour, however....
Being able to skip the login is what really sold me on the launcher

There's also a built in battle.net chat on the launcher that they haven't enabled yet, which should be awesome
03/14/2014 03:12 PMPosted by Lølumadbro
Just don't make the battle.net app mandatory in the future. I like double clicking the WoW icon from my desktop to launch WoW. Kthxbai.

You can still do that with the Battle.net app. Cya.
Is this thread seriously about how many clicks it takes to get to World of Warcraft?

Uh 1... uh 2... uh 3... CRUNCH!

It takes 3 clicks.
My biggest issue with the launcher currently is I can no longer keep 2 separate installs of the game with different graphical settings (starting monitor) or addons.
If you're worried about security and autologin you can turn that off in the battle.net launcher. If more than one person uses your computer you should do that anyway, if you're not going to use a guest account.

I never, ever let other people use my computers for any reason though, and I always lock the screen when I step away. So... not an issue for me.

Frankly the bnet launcher was the best thing that ever happened when it comes to launchers. It's a hundred times better than the launchers for other games, with the exception of the GW2 launcher which is fast and streamlined.

WoW, btw, is the only MMO I've ever heard of that lets you launch from the main EXE file and bypass the launcher.
03/14/2014 03:13 PMPosted by Bashiok
You can still do that with the Battle.net app. Cya.

Feels like an infomercial now.
Random Actor: "Can it do this and that?!"
Pitchman: "Of course, and it does more! And best of all, it's free if you pay just a moment of your time!"
03/14/2014 03:06 PMPosted by Wazbirt

Online games, like World of Warcraft, usually require that everyone playing use the same files and file versions to ensure content parity. If you and I are playing and the information we each hold about the game differs, it becomes exceedingly difficult for the server to reconcile how those differences play out and also how the client perceives those differences. Everyone needs to be playing the same game, essentially. To help try to make that process smoother, a launcher that starts up before the game checks file versions when starting the game. If your files are not current a patch is downloaded and installed. Additionally, we've added functionality for the launcher to download future patch data ahead of time to reduce the time required on patch day to get into the game, as well as the ability to stream game data so that the entire game doesn't need to be downloaded for new players, or those just reinstalling.

Honestly that doesn't justify the setup used. The battle.net launcher severely overcomplicates it.

Individual games still appear as launchable shortcuts where you would normally expect them. They don't bring you to the page that updates your game, They launch the game directly. If for whatever reason the game is out of date (auto updating should keep it current, leaving the battle.net launcher running does that already) it shows a status bar for the update and only that, once the status bar is complete it launches. It does not cancel the launch nor does it redirect you to the launcher.

This would make it better, yes - but you'd still end up having to do the same with the old launcher. And, if you chose to just run the main game, and a patch came out, you'd have to log in, get the patch required screen, wait for it to patch, exit the game, restart the game, relogin, and then play. You can't tell me that the bnet launcher is more cumbersome than that.

03/14/2014 03:18 PMPosted by Wazbirt
My biggest issue with the launcher currently is I can no longer keep 2 separate installs of the game with different graphical settings (starting monitor) or addons.

Yes, making the game list customizable, with multiple game locations would be an improvement, - hopefully you've submitted feedback on it, using the link on the launcher.
03/14/2014 03:17 PMPosted by Cocoa
Is this thread seriously about how many clicks it takes to get to World of Warcraft?

Uh 1... uh 2... uh 3... CRUNCH!

It takes 3 clicks.

It's about petulant children crying because something changed.
03/14/2014 03:28 PMPosted by Downlo

This would make it better, yes - but you'd still end up having to do the same with the old launcher. And, if you chose to just run the main game, and a patch came out, you'd have to log in, get the patch required screen, wait for it to patch, exit the game, restart the game, relogin, and then play. You can't tell me that the bnet launcher is more cumbersome than that.

03/14/2014 03:18 PMPosted by Wazbirt

Yes, making the game list customizable, with multiple game locations would be an improvement, - hopefully you've submitted feedback on it, using the link on the launcher.

Ideally it would turn into the same setup steam is, It runs in the background, does updates, and holds credentials. If you want to bring it to the foreground and browse your settings/games list you can do that, but launching a game will not do that for you.
03/14/2014 03:47 PMPosted by Reddrake
What is the email address for community manager feedback?

I have to ask, are you seriously hoping to cause someone to lose their job or be reprimanded for answering a question about what icon you use to load WoW?

/sigh
03/14/2014 03:47 PMPosted by Reddrake
What is the email address for community manager feedback?

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/900930866#3
wowcmfeedback@blizzard.com

Sweet. Now I can tell Blizzard that I think Bashiok does a great job!