Timeless Gear for Prot

Paladin
Hello,

I've got a full set of timeless gear waiting for this toon once he hits 90. My question is if I use it all as prot, will I only get defensive stats on my gear or can you get haste/mastery as well?
Mastery is considered a prot stat, haste is not. You won't get any haste gear if you do TI gear with prot as your loot spec (and you'll probably get a ton of double avoidance, or worse, just one gob of avoidance), so you really want to do it set to ret.
Thanks for the quick response! Very helpful
When you use the timeless piece to create the armor, I believe the secondary stats it give it are random but will be basted on your spec.
Prot can get Mastery, dodge, parry, hit, expertise
Ret can get Mastery, haste, crit, hit, expertise

So you can't select pieces to strategically get haste and avoid crit. From what the theory craters are saying (I just take their word for it) you're better off getting some crit while trying for haste than to get dodge and parry and get no haste.
I've got several pieces for each gear slot, so getting haste shouldn't be a problem.
I would activate them with loot spec set to ret, then trash/disenchant any pieces with crit on them, and try again for that slot.
03/24/2014 01:12 PMPosted by Arnblas
I would activate them with loot spec set to ret, then trash/disenchant any pieces with crit on them, and try again for that slot.

Or just wear the piece if it's Crit/Haste. Crit isn't worse than Dodge and Parry, you guys sweet the little stuff too much. 2 of our BiS items are Crit/Haste in SoO, start getting used to it.
So basically for prot dps gear > prot gear? haha
No, for Prot, Prot gear > avoidance gear.
So I just hit 90 a couple days ago.. how are my gearing choices so far? And also, should I get the dps or tanking blacksmith belt?
Sorry wrong toon

edit: also, I had the ret tier legs from a while ago by tagging celestials before I was 90
The dps one IMO. You can use it for ret too.

Gem haste
03/24/2014 01:04 PMPosted by Monzaligar
From what the theory craters are saying (I just take their word for it) you're better off getting some crit while trying for haste than to get dodge and parry and get no haste.
There's not really much theorycrafting to it. Both specs have 5 stats available to them, prot has access to 2 bad stats, while ret only has access to 1 bad stat, that alone will make ret the safer choice. In addition ret has access to our best stat, while prot does not.

In other words, if you were to list out all of the possible stat combinations for both specs, there'd be more avoidance combinations on the prot list than there are crit items on the ret list (and as noted, crit/haste isn't all that terrible). So prot has more bad items than ret, while ret has access to the best items (which prot does not).