Glyph of Demon Hunting & WoD 6.0 patch notes

Warlock
Hi all,

Going through the 6.0 patch notes, Warlocks are getting quite a few abilities pruned! One that caught my eye was:

• Soulshatter has been removed.
  • So, since Soulshatter turns into our taunt in Dark Apotheosis mode, is this truly the end of TankLocks? I'm hoping Blizzard keeps this versatile playstyle, if possible, and maybe even refine it more in WoD.

Thanks
    Stop, leave this place and never return.
    04/03/2014 05:59 PMPosted by Sinayion
    is this truly the end of TankLocks?
    Hopefully, so all of these threads will go away.
    It's way too much fun though. I think players that play tank classes seem to enjoy this more. It definitely got me into playing a caster properly. Diversity is a good thing, guys!
    If warlock tanking got you into playing a caster properly you aren't playing a caster properly.
    Heh, I don't mean I just play him this way. Affliction is beautiful.

On topic though, the Glyph is still going to be in the game (so far), so the tanking part is just lacking the "taunt". Wasn't really the same as a regular taunt (it just increased threat generation). Still workable.
    Taunt didn't work on raid bosses anyways so there isn't much of a point to it existing anyways. The only thing you could truly tank would be 5 mans, and they're so insanely easy I've been able to solo them since about a 540 ilevel.
    Yup, very true. I am lucky enough to have friends that allow me to tank as a Warlock (I'm normally the group tank anyway). It's just a shame that something that could add an additional gameplay mechanic is not used to its full potential.
    Demon Hunter isn't going anywhere, note this:
    At level 25, the following Glyphs are automatically learned by characters of the appropriate class:
    Entangling Roots, Fae Silence, Ferocious Bite, Maul, Omens, Cat Form, Liberation, Pathfinding, Frost Nova, Blink, Fortuitous Spheres, Rapid Rolling, Afterlife, Harsh Words, Flash of Light, Alabaster Shield, Dazing Shield, Avenging Wrath, Templar's Verdict, Levitate, Holy Fire, Fade, Deadly Momentum, Stealth, Flame Shock, Thunder, Healing Storm, Healing Wave, Spiritwalker's Grace, Siphon Life, Drain Life, Demon Training, Ember Tap, Long Charge, Victory Rush, Bloodthirst, Gag Order

Emphasis added.

So not only are they not removing our wonderful Prot Spec' but they're giving it out for free at level 25, to get all the young lock's addicted nice and early.

As far as Provocation ("taunt") goes. That ability is currently pretty broken. It seems to fail to do anything 9 times out of 10, even when just you + the pet. Let alone other players. I am aware it is disabled in raids or something, but it also fails on elites, rares, and you name it. It is unusable.

The real benefit of prot' lock is:
    - 18-30% mitigation from the stance
    - 20% additional mitigation from Soul Link
    - At least two defensive cooldowns (which can increase mitigation by an additional 15%, and gives you a shield w/two charges)
    - Infinite mana (mana isn't a stat used in prot')
    - Tons of AOE damage ("everything" is an AOE ability)

Sleep is kind of weak. I'd take fear back myself. Overall it is hugely fun, and really changes things up. There is nothing else quite like it in the game right now. I can tank 92 elites on Timeless even without a pet, I just keep the pet out for Soul Link and to save eating between kills.

The only things they really need to do IMO is:

- Fix Provocation (just make it a real taunt)
    - Give us a better Demonic Fury single target dump (you currently have to keep Immolation Aura up)
    - Differentiate Immolation Aura and Void Ray better (Void Ray seems to have no purpose, it does similar damage to Immolation Aura, but you spent much more time casting it)
    - Give us something to do while Demonic Slash is on cooldown and Immolation Aura is running.
    04/04/2014 12:34 AMPosted by Atr
    Demon Hunter isn't going anywhere, note this:
    At level 25, the following Glyphs are automatically learned by characters of the appropriate class:
    Entangling Roots, Fae Silence, Ferocious Bite, Maul, Omens, Cat Form, Liberation, Pathfinding, Frost Nova, Blink, Fortuitous Spheres, Rapid Rolling, Afterlife, Harsh Words, Flash of Light, Alabaster Shield, Dazing Shield, Avenging Wrath, Templar's Verdict, Levitate, Holy Fire, Fade, Deadly Momentum, Stealth, Flame Shock, Thunder, Healing Storm, Healing Wave, Spiritwalker's Grace, Siphon Life, Drain Life, Demon Training, Ember Tap, Long Charge, Victory Rush, Bloodthirst, Gag Order

Emphasis added.

So not only are they not removing our wonderful Prot Spec' but they're giving it out for free at level 25, to get all the young lock's addicted nice and early.

As far as Provocation ("taunt") goes. That ability is currently pretty broken. It seems to fail to do anything 9 times out of 10, even when just you + the pet. Let alone other players. I am aware it is disabled in raids or something, but it also fails on elites, rares, and you name it. It is unusable.

The real benefit of prot' lock is:
    - 18-30% mitigation from the stance
    - 20% additional mitigation from Soul Link
    - At least two defensive cooldowns (which can increase mitigation by an additional 15%, and gives you a shield w/two charges)
    - Infinite mana (mana isn't a stat used in prot')
    - Tons of AOE damage ("everything" is an AOE ability)

Sleep is kind of weak. I'd take fear back myself. Overall it is hugely fun, and really changes things up. There is nothing else quite like it in the game right now. I can tank 92 elites on Timeless even without a pet, I just keep the pet out for Soul Link and to save eating between kills.

You're thinking of demon hunting glyph......that says demon TRAINING...

/facepalm
    Well, shame, but I hope they keep the glyph in. It was some of the most fun I had in MoP, even if they did break the taunt to prevent tanking to begin with.

Maybe they'll just add the taunt in the spell book upon applying the glyph or something.
    the thing i wonder about with demo is how to do any significant damage while in DA form. we all love the wings etcetc and the mitigation but demo dmg outside of going all mean/green is uh.. lacking.

is it all or nothing? demo burst can be crazy but what if i just wanna be a tanky caster sometimes? retarded to be sure, but tell that to ele shamans and dpriests..
    I don't think they would ever allow us to have tankiness and good damage. I'm fine with that, as long as the sustain is ok to clear things on our own.

Really though, it would be fantastic if the spec was indeed tank worthy, and you could queue as a tank in dungeons/etc. One can dream!
    04/03/2014 05:59 PMPosted by Sinayion
    Hi all,

Going through the 6.0 patch notes, Warlocks are getting quite a few abilities pruned! One that caught my eye was:

• Soulshatter has been removed.
  • So, since Soulshatter turns into our taunt in Dark Apotheosis mode, is this truly the end of TankLocks? I'm hoping Blizzard keeps this versatile playstyle, if possible, and maybe even refine it more in WoD.

Correct. GoSac was gutted and changed into a crit strike buff for your pet. Soulshatter, our taunt, is gone, as is Carrion Swarm, our interrupt. They removed the crit immunity just before MoP hit and made it so our taunt doesn't work on raid bosses. All the changes to our class that made it possible to tank, short of removal of the DA glyph, are being removed. With these changes, we lose a substantial survivability buff (from GoSac) our taunt and interrupt. Warlock tanking is dead under the current alpha changes.
    04/05/2014 09:16 AMPosted by Arkah
    Correct. GoSac was gutted and changed into a crit strike buff for your pet.

I can't see that in the notes, was it a previous change?
    Nevermind, found it... this is insane.

http://wod.wowhead.com/spell=156656#see-also-ability
    Apparently GoSac will change depending on spec. That's just the Demo version they've brainstormed so far. Which, of course, is all that matters for Demo tanking, but it probably won't make it live. No one in their right mind will ever sacrifice personal damage for pet damage.
    Yeah, looking at the outrage on forums/twitter, I would be shocked if they kept that.