Help needed: Enhance opening rotation?

Shaman
Hi, quick question. What is the best opening rotation for enhancement? I just respecced, so I'm still learning and I don't want to start out with bad habits. To me it feels like enhancement shamans have a TON of spells to cast at the start of a bossfight before we can begin our normal spell priority, so I assume there's a "best way". Is there?

These are the spells I open with, more or less in the order as I'm using them now:

(0. Hero + Stormlash + prepot if required)
1. Fire Elemental or Searing totem
2. Feral Spirit (assuming I can use this as a pure DPS cooldown)
3. UE + Flame Shock while running into melee range
4. Ascendance as soon as I get in melee range
(5. Stormlash if I'm not casting hero at the start)
6. Resuming normal spell priority

What's a good time to use Shamanistic Rage? I'm mostly treating it as a mana cd by popping it before I resume my normal spell priority (obviously after the first free LB) and on cd thereafter (unless I actually need it as a damage reduction cd). Curious to hear how others treat this spell.

Where would Elemental Blast come in, if I were to take that talent (until i get better gear)? It feels "wrong" to consume Maelstrom stacks with this spell, instead of LB. How do others go about this?

Should I always consume Unleash Flame with FS, even when the DoT still has 15-20 seconds left? Again, feels wrong.

I understand there will be moments when burst openers are not ideal (Jin'rokh comes to mind, or perhaps when risking the tank losing aggro). But whenever I can open with burst, I'd like to do it right :)

Thanks for your help!

Ps. Please ignore my current gear/reforges, lack of gems/enchants, talents, glyphs, as I am still trying different things out. Any advise / feedback on how talents / glyphs may impact opening rotations is appreciated though!
04/05/2014 04:42 PMPosted by Vuelta
What's a good time to use Shamanistic Rage?
shamanistic rage is a defensive cd, mana is non issue if you are hitting things.
It feels "wrong" to consume Maelstrom stacks with this spell, instead of LB. How do others go about this?
Cast elemental blast on cd with or without mw stacks.
Should I always consume Unleash Flame with FS, even when the DoT still has 15-20 seconds left? Again, feels wrong.
I would only refresh if less than 15s left otherwise i would use earth shock (if nothing better available of course).
04/05/2014 11:07 PMPosted by Banknorris
shamanistic rage is a defensive cd, mana is non issue if you are hitting things.

I was going oom without it, what could I be doing wrong?

04/05/2014 11:07 PMPosted by Banknorris
I would only refresh if less than 15s left otherwise i would use earth shock (if nothing better available of course).

So, do you let the flametongue buff expire?

Would love to get feedback on the opening rotation as well, whether it even matters or not and where Elemental Blast would fit in.
04/06/2014 01:15 AMPosted by Vuelta
what could I be doing wrong?
No idea.
So, do you let the flametongue buff expire?
the flame tongue works with elemental blast too. You basically want one unleash flame for flame shock (the most important if you need to refresh the dot) another for elemental blast.

Would love to get feedback on the opening rotation as well, whether it even matters or not and where Elemental Blast would fit in.
I think the best opener with elemental blast would be:
pre pull - just outside aggro radius and behind the boss when possible
feral spirits
fire elemental totem
pre-pot+begin casting elemental blast so you finish cast on the pull time
while running from just outside aggro radius to melee range:
UE
lust+FS
you should be on melee range by now
Stormstrike
at anypoint after the first hit, if you get 5 MW cast LB
Ascendance+Stormblast (you should be able to cast both together but the server takes a bit to recognize ascendance and reset SS)
Lava Lash

Not sure where stormlash totem would fit on this. Probably after the lava lash if no 5mw procs. If you have a resto shaman he should drop it on the pull and you drop it next. All assuming you want to burst in the beginning of course.
The only way to OOM as Enhance would be if you are casting heals without MW stacks.

It is impossible to OOM while doing any kind of normal skill selection; in fact you would be hard-pressed to see the mana bar drop below 100%...
Thanks Bank. Didn't know Ascendance resets Stormstrike.

And Rheeah, I'm fairly new to this spec, but all I know is that when I'm using my AoE rotation (and sometimes single target too) and not getting enough MW procs, I can go oom - i don't think it's that rare either, I've heard more people complaining about it. Anyway, one SR is sufficient to get my mana back up.

Someone recommended simcraft so I'm gonna look into that too.
I have literally never gone below 90% mana as enh, no idea how you're managing going oom.
From my personal guide:

Opening

The opening of the fights will likely become our main damage output. We have a lot of cooldowns to manage so let's try to summarize everything.

1. Pre-pot
2. Wolves
3. CD-Macro: Fire Elemental, + Orc Racial + EM
3.1 Bloodust (Basically, your lust would be here to get the full benefit from Stormlash totem + so your wolves get it and your FET) - you can tie it with your CD-Macro since it's off-GCD
3.2 Stormlash totem - if your guild needs StLT, use it here, will have plenty of time with BL, if there's another shaman like an Ele or Resto, ask them to use it first so you can start your rotation one GCD earlier!)
5. Stormstrike (+Eng gloves) (it all depends on how you want to use it, you can use it just when you get on the boss so you can use it two times because Ascendance refreshes it, but you lose some precious opening seconds - having tested both, your opening DPS won't really depend on where you place that SS)
5.1 Follow that SS with Ascendance - if everything goes right, your first SS should be your first GCD of the fight, or close second if you delayed FET a bit.
5.2 Stormblast after the Ascendance reset of your SS
6. Unleash Elements
6.1 -> If you have a LB up, use it there
6.2 -> If not, use Flame Shock (your UE debuff should be up)
7. Lava Lash (hopefully you'll have 4-5 stacks)
8. Lightning Bolt (you'll probably have another 5 Maelstrom there, or use your AS instant LB)

-----------------

As an explanation:

I've used almost 10-15 forms of opening since the beginning of the expansion and this one is by far the best one.

1. You want to use your Feral spirits/Pre-pot exactly before the fight. If you have good tanks, they will have a pizza timer and you'll be able to hit the boss and unleash your rotation exactly at 0:00.

2. As said above, you want to use FET before you hit the boss, SS should be your first GCD. Try to drop your totem to where the boss will be after the pull. On some fights like Blackfuse or Garrosh, some guilds will move the boss pretty far and since your elemental doesn't come out at the exact second you drop it and he moves kinda slowly, you'll want to drop your totem to where the boss will be, so he can start auto-attacking sooner and hopefully get your 5 stacks for your 3rd GCD - Lava Lash.

3. A lot of people suggest to use UE as the first GCD because it allows you to run to the boss and start your rotation ASAP. While it gives you Unleash Wind and instant damage, it is not the superior dps route. Using UE while getting to the boss will make all your trinkets procs and you'll lose precious trinket uptimes. When trinkets like Haromm's give you 15000 agi for TEN seconds, you don't want to waste 2 seconds (20% of the trinket uptime!!) just by running to the boss. This is also why you want to keep your Eng gloves out of your DPS macro, a 10-sec uptime cannot be wasted and must be bound to your melee abilities, because it assures you that when it comes off CD, there's a good chance you'll be in melee range ready to make full use of it.

4. Using Lava Lash as early is a must. With all the trinket procs and warrior banners - and more likely than not a 5 Searing Flames buff because you popped FET early ;) - your Lava Lash will sometimes crit for 700k+ compared to a ~300k crit from LB. This priority changes during the fight because you don't want to waste MW stacks, but for your opening go: SS-SS-UE-LL and use LB after that Lava Lash. If you don't have 5 MW, use FS, if you do have 5, use LB and follow it by FS asap as the Unleash Flame debuff will be running out pretty soon.

Hope this helps.
Thank you so much Stand, this is exactly what I was looking for. Not only am I new to enhancement spec, I'm new to (melee) DPS. In fact, I've never played DPS as main spec in a raid. This is really helpful, thanks again for taking the time to write it all out.

Especially the suggestion to not use UE while running in, makes a lot of sense. I was a little scared to ask for advise (since, well, you know ...some people on blizzard forums...) but I'm glad I did. Looking at your opening rotation it makes a lot more sense than what I came up with.

04/08/2014 10:18 AMPosted by Stand
The opening of the fights will likely become our main damage output.

Makes you wonder why not a single guide includes this valuable information :-S
You're welcome! I left the forums for a while because of that very reason. I think through the years, most of the worse people quit and I see the forums being more worthy as it was in the "beginning". I think the overall healthiness of the game/shaman class helps. :)

04/08/2014 11:03 AMPosted by Vuelta

The opening of the fights will likely become our main damage output.

Makes you wonder why not a single guide includes this valuable information :-S

...and why not many applicants add them to their rotation discussion!? And also by damage output I meant like this will be the time where our DPS will be the highest. You need to focus on the opening because it is very important!

I'm always happy when a shaman goes for enhance instead of elemental!!! So if I can do anything else to help, feel free to ask.
Interesting, but I have a question if you mind to answer: why are you pre-potting 3 globals (feral spirits, FET, stormlash totem) before the first hit? If you pre-pot after casting feral spirits and FET their damage won't be affected by the potion? Also OP asked about the opening with elemental blast, which you didn't include in your opening. So if you have elemental blast as a talent you don't use it in the opening?
I got my AoC trinket so I switched to Primal Ele.

My assumption is that on the pull the buff from EB is what matters most, since the damage from an Unleashed Flame buffed Flame Shock will likely account for more DPS, I wouldn't consume the UF buff with EB. So if I had to weave in EB, I'd probably use it as my first GCD after StLT (but before Ascendance), because:

5. Stormstrike (+Eng gloves) (it all depends on how you want to use it, you can use it just when you get on the boss so you can use it two times because Ascendance refreshes it, but you lose some precious opening seconds - having tested both, your opening DPS won't really depend on where you place that SS)
5.1 Follow that SS with Ascendance - if everything goes right, your first SS should be your first GCD of the fight, or close second if you delayed FET a bit.
04/08/2014 04:54 PMPosted by Banknorris
Interesting, but I have a question if you mind to answer: why are you pre-potting 3 globals (feral spirits, FET, stormlash totem) before the first hit? If you pre-pot after casting feral spirits and FET their damage won't be affected by the potion? Also OP asked about the opening with elemental blast, which you didn't include in your opening. So if you have elemental blast as a talent you don't use it in the opening?

Sorry it took a while to respond.

To your first question, I don't really pre-pot before three globals. First, rarely will I ever drop Stormlash first. I was able to make our elemental shaman do it, so I've kinda worked my rotation around stormlash - I drop it right after my second Stormlash GCD. Second, I usually drop feral spirit right before pull so it's not exactly 1.5 sec before it, more like 0.5-1sec before. I mention a bit in my original post, but rarely will you ever start to attack the boss at 0.0 when the tank pulls, you usually have to move a bit to get to the boss or just wait for it to get behind, since you can't really stay close to it - only Protectors, Norushen and Immersus, in which most cases you're not going for full DPS fights. Lastly, the potion lasts for 25 sec which should go way over your longest trinket (15-20secs), so even dropping it the latest you can (like 0.1 before the fight) won't make that big of a difference. Depending on how your keybinds are set up, you may lose a bit of time if you try to feral spirit then pot then FET.

To the second part of your question, I'm not a 100% sure about FET, but I know Feral Spirits get their buffs retroactively, which means that you don't buff them directly, they get attack power from what you have on you. they changed that mechanic somewhere after Wrath and now. For FET... I think it works the same, although I sometimes re-lust for my FET because I'm not so sure. I know some Enhancement shamans do it, but I'm not entirely sure if the buffing mechanic is still the same.

As for EB, I never used it. I tried it during MoP beta for a while and one time for Ji-kun and Durumu because I was messing on farm. It makes your rotation super clunky, as EB becomes first priority, which !@#$s up a lot of stuff because you sometimes have to hardcast it over some abilities (IIRC, hardcasting it at 2-3 MW stacks is above lava lash - I'm probably wrong there). I don't know what to answer to your question other than: why do you want to play EB?
I've been curious about this topic for a while. I have been using a combination of macroes on the pull and was wondering if I'm losing out on damage due to the sequence I use. I start with FET macroed with EM then UE then FS then SS (hero, if we are popping it on pull) then cast sequence macro of Pot followed by Ascendance followed by Stormlash totem then SB, LB, LL, Feral Spirit, ES, then usually SS or LL. Sorry for the run on or if its confusing. I'm new to this stuff. Just trying to max out my burst. Any input would be greatly appreciated
04/10/2014 11:33 AMPosted by Stand
I don't know what to answer to your question other than: why do you want to play EB?

From someone who is also new to enhancement shaman and perfers to use EB, I think it really adds to the whole flavor caster-melee thing enhance has going, in addition to the fact that it is sometimes worthwhile casting LB with less than 5 MW stacks. It's also a nice burst of damage outside of cooldowns, especially with EotE (even if it was nerfed) for wPvP, which is attractive to me (regardless of that not mattering at all in PvE). Even at higher gear levels I will likely take ebon detonator + haromm's, then go EotE (my excuse will be better AoE damage, but honestly, it's just for fun) as well as EB (since the 90 tier isn't -too- unbalanced).

What I think is awesome is that the devs seem to be embracing this, which is something I love, because EB will be getting agility in its tooltip come WoD! Agility on a spell! Kewl.
04/15/2014 11:08 AMPosted by Stormstalker
I've been curious about this topic for a while. I have been using a combination of macroes on the pull and was wondering if I'm losing out on damage due to the sequence I use. I start with FET macroed with EM then UE then FS then SS (hero, if we are popping it on pull) then cast sequence macro of Pot followed by Ascendance followed by Stormlash totem then SB, LB, LL, Feral Spirit, ES, then usually SS or LL. Sorry for the run on or if its confusing. I'm new to this stuff. Just trying to max out my burst. Any input would be greatly appreciated

You should read my original post, it can help you! :)

Mainly, your FET shouldn't be tied to anything, your potion too since you may want to use it for another use (not bound with a macro). If you can afford the keybinds, try to keybind single abilities. Ascendance should be tied with EM for the burst, and always delay your EM so you use it with Ascendance. Therefore, your opening should be pre-pot, wolves - boss pull/FET - SS, ascendance, SS, UE, LL, LB, FS, SS, then regular rotation.
04/15/2014 06:54 PMPosted by Marnvid
04/10/2014 11:33 AMPosted by Stand
I don't know what to answer to your question other than: why do you want to play EB?

From someone who is also new to enhancement shaman and perfers to use EB, I think it really adds to the whole flavor caster-melee thing enhance has going, in addition to the fact that it is sometimes worthwhile casting LB with less than 5 MW stacks. It's also a nice burst of damage outside of cooldowns, especially with EotE (even if it was nerfed) for wPvP, which is attractive to me (regardless of that not mattering at all in PvE). Even at higher gear levels I will likely take ebon detonator + haromm's, then go EotE (my excuse will be better AoE damage, but honestly, it's just for fun) as well as EB (since the 90 tier isn't -too- unbalanced).

What I think is awesome is that the devs seem to be embracing this, which is something I love, because EB will be getting agility in its tooltip come WoD! Agility on a spell! Kewl.

Man if it's something you love, I'd be dumb to criticize it! If you only play casual/LFR then jeez, have the most fun you can! :) I just can't really help you, if it's help you need, because I almost never played it. What I know is that it's your first priority, so hit it on CD. Other than that, have fun! Enhancement is awesome.
04/06/2014 01:32 PMPosted by Rheeah
The only way to OOM as Enhance would be if you are casting heals without MW stacks.

It is impossible to OOM while doing any kind of normal skill selection; in fact you would be hard-pressed to see the mana bar drop below 100%...

^