lvl 90 noob. Profession and gear question

General Discussion
Hi all:

context:
I have never played wow.
I pre-ordered the Draenor and got my free boost to 90. Boosted a Blood DK (was thinking I need a tank first to try to participate in raid or solo instance bosses). I have not started with raid yet. I am practicing tanking with instance bosses so I don't totally suck when I join raids.

I have skinning and mining on my only toon right now. This is because it seems the simplest to make money(collect, sell). But...

Profession question:
In other threads I read that I shouldn't have professions such as mining and skinning on my main because the main usually have more rep and therefore should have professions such as enchant etc, is this true? If so then I really need to dump my professions(but I have just made a third of ways with skinning grr.)

Gear question:
when boosted, blizz starts me at Pandaria, lvl 90 with some green gear(a set of heart-lesion gears) on me. Any suggestions on an approach to start replacing my gear? it seems the instance gear/rewards for killing the "weapon master" is not as good as the gear that I got when boosted? is it because I am noob and can't tell good gear from bad?

Thank you for reading my topic.
04/15/2014 08:44 AMPosted by Mosles
In other threads I read that I shouldn't have professions such as mining and skinning on my main because the main usually have more rep and therefore should have professions such as enchant etc, is this true? If so then I really need to dump my professions(but I have just made a third of ways with skinning grr.)

Since this is your first character, I would advise staying with what you have to try and make gold. Also, when you decide to make a second character, I would level the old fashion way- just so you get a better understanding of what's going on in the game (both story wise and other classes wise).

when boosted, blizz starts me at Pandaria, lvl 90 with some green gear(a set of heart-lesion gears) on me. Any suggestions on an approach to start replacing my gear? it seems the instance gear/rewards for killing the "weapon master" is not as good as the gear that I got when boosted? is it because I am noob and can't tell good gear from bad?

Timeless Isle drops epic gear (which is better than instance gear and better than what you get from being boosted). I would, however, recommend sticking with dungeons a tiny bit longer just until you are 100% comfortable with what you are doing.

Also, go to the Death Knight forums and read the guide to Blood Death Knights.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/7416264606
Any suggestions on an approach to start replacing my gear?

Go to Timeless Isle and start killing things. 496 gear will drop.

I have never played wow.

Level a toon from 0-90 and you will learn an amazing amount about the game and how to play.
Mining isn't bad for a tank as you get a stamina boost.

Whenever I roll a new toon on a server with no help I go mining and skinning because that's a good way to make gold quickly.
04/15/2014 08:53 AMPosted by Iamvc
Mining isn't bad for a tank as you get a stamina boost.

Whenever I roll a new toon on a server with no help I go mining and skinning because that's a good way to make gold quickly.

I did the same, mining & skinning. Makes a goodly amount of gold and pretty quickly too.
Thank you all for the help. I will keep my professions for now.
should I get my skinning and mining to high level before heading into timeless isle?
04/15/2014 09:10 AMPosted by Mosles
should I get my skinning and mining to high level before heading into timeless isle?

It'd be good to get both to close to 600; then you can mine and skin on Timeless too.

At least your skinning. The turtles are an endless supply of leather and scales. Especially if the folks around you aren't skinning.
thanks for the help guys.
you can always dump those jobs later.
for now mine and skin everything you can and sell it.
don't purchase anything from the AH for a month....at least.
I agree with the others. First toon, collect and sell. Plus that you can stockpile one of those as you go so when you do reach the point of wanting to craft you have a huge jump on leveling that craft without forking over a ton of cash.
04/15/2014 09:18 AMPosted by Leveret

It'd be good to get both to close to 600; then you can mine and skin on Timeless too.

you can mine on the timeless isle (and herb) from 1-600 or anywhere in pandaland for that matter

skinning has to be leveled the "normal" way to skin things on the isle however
Too bad, if you would have leveled the DK to 60 (they start at 55 I believe and come out of their starting area at 57) you would have gotten maxed professions also. You should be able to level mining with ghost iron. It's Pandaria's main ore and can be mined at any level.
Also look up the Timeless mossy chests. A map can be found online easily and you can literally just pick up a lot of 496 gear. I can usually get 3/4 of a set from the chests alone.
I personally always recommend grinding Heroic Dungeons for Justice points over going to the Timeless Isle. I'm in the severe minority here, but let me explain why, OP.

What the people advocating Timeless Isle gear aren't telling you is that that gear is pretty awful. It has a high item level, which will let you queue for higher raid tiers faster, but the stats on the gear are just... terrible. The Timeless gear is essentially a lie. It says 496 but is really more comparable to 476-489 gear.

Why do people push for it so much then? It's easy to obtain. The path of least resistance for the highest item level gear. The unfortunate side-effect is that it's created a whole crop of underpowered level 90s that're making things rougher for everyone.

Now, running Heroic Dungeons for Justice affords you all sorts of advantages over Timeless Isle gear. First of all, you tend to make an impressive amount of money just from blue and green item drops throughout the dungeon, along with building reputation and earning raw gold. As a Tank, you'll almost always insta-queue, so there's no wait. There's also very little danger to you, as your 483 starter gear is more than equal to the task to clear those Dungeons with ease.

When you've obtained enough Justice (you should average 400-500 a dungeon) you can start purchasing 489 and 496 gear. Almost universally this gear is stronger than Timeless Isle gear and much better itemized for your character.

Note that this way will take you longer to gear up, as you have to clear four to five dungeons to buy a new piece of gear, and each dungeon could take you about twenty minutes... but the end result is more experience in tanking, more gold in your pocket, and ultimately better gear.
Profession question:In other threads I read that I shouldn't have professions such as mining and skinning on my main because the main usually have more rep and therefore should have professions such as enchant etc, is this true? If so then I really need to dump my professions(but I have just made a third of ways with skinning grr.)

Um... sorta. Many sub-factions in the game sell unique recipes and patterns for some of the professions. Your 'main' character does tend to have better rep with a wider assortment of factions, and therefore its easier to get these recipes and patterns on your main than an alt. With that being said, this shouldn't be an issue to consider when deciding on a profession.

I recommend, to start with, a matching combo of a gathering and a production profession. For example: Blacksmiths require a lot of metal ingots, made from ore that miners gather; therefore Mining and Blacksmithing Combo nicely. You can collect most (99%) of everything you need to use in Blacksmithing.

Tailoring and Enchanting both don't have a 'corresponding' gathering profession, rather they kinda generate they're own materials, thru in game drops. Here is a list of the common production-gathering combos:
Leatherworking w/ Skinning
Blacksmithing w/ Mining
Engineering w/ Mining
Jewelcrafting w/ Mining
Inscription w/ Herbalism
Alchemy w/ Herbalism

Many players, as they make more and more characters, will make dedicated profession and bank alts to manufacture, store, and sell items in game. Often they will also have a dedicated 'gatherer' character who has mining and herbalism who collects all the materials their team needs, and mails it off to the appropriate alt. Right now however, I recommend with sticking with a single character, with the matching gathering-production profession.

Gear question:when boosted, blizz starts me at Pandaria, lvl 90 with some green gear(a set of heart-lesion gears) on me. Any suggestions on an approach to start replacing my gear? it seems the instance gear/rewards for killing the "weapon master" is not as good as the gear that I got when boosted? is it because I am noob and can't tell good gear from bad?

I'd recommend the Timeless Isle. There are a series of 'hidden' chests, and enemies, that drop iLvl 496 gear tokens. After just a couple days, its possible to have an entire new set of gear. The Throne of Thunder and Siege of Ogrimmar LFRs also drop gear of superior quality to what the boosted 90s get.

Justice Points can be used to purchase some gear from in-game vendors, usually iLvl489, 502 and 522. Its a great place for upgrades, and running heroic dungeons for justice is usually easier and quicker than running a Looking For Raid.

I'd also recommend checking your class and spec on IcyVeins.com. They're a great source of gearing and stat answers, as well as play tips and advice for making your character more powerful.
Enchanting and jewel-crafting are, from what I've read, the best money-makers. I've made money from mining, but on my server the prices no longer justify the time that mining requires. Typically, mining and herbalism make the most money early in an expansion, after that it's not as consistent depending on server size.

You can dump jobs, but if you dump the ones you got boosted to 600 through the 90-boost, you have to level the new ones that you choose from scratch (last time I checked). Some professions are harder/more-expensive to level than others. I think Blizzard should allow some time to try out a class before the boost becomes permanent, but that's another discussion.

Before you settle on a main (if you do), check out youtube for some videoes of the class gameplay (search 'wow ****** gameplay' where ****** is the class that you want info on). It might save you some time.

Ranged classes with good aoe skills (I suggest warlock) are best for farming large groups of mobs most efficiently.
04/15/2014 10:00 AMPosted by Istarion
Honestly, I have no idea how it is possible to jump right in on a level 90 without having ever played the game before and expect to be successful. If you really want to learn how to play the game well, the best way to do it is start at level 1, and that is really no joke.

Questing does not teach:
-DPS rotation (you 2-3 shot everything)
-Defensive CDs
-Burst DPS
-Not standing in 'fire'

Low level dungeons do not teach:
-anything. Really, you sprint along trying to keep up with the guy in full heirlooms.

I don't honestly believe that leveling from 1-90 gives any benefit of knowledge.

Edit: It does seem that I misjudged the post I was responding to, and overreacted, my apologies.
Eberc, there is something seriously wrong with you.