healer limit needed in normal BG's

Battlegrounds
Prev 1 3 4 5 17 Next
1 game out of thousands had a higher amount of healers than usual? Better go to the forums.

Seriously, can you just chalk it up to a sucky battleground and move on instead of being a special snowflake with self entitlement issues?
I'm seeing a lot of posts- not just in this thread- where it appears that a poster's comments are dismissed as invalid based on their armory and what they have or don't have gemmed/enchanted/equipped etc. This is wrong and it really needs to stop. If a player has a comment to make on an issue, base your reaction on the merit of his argument and not on what you think he should or should not have on his toon. He or she may in transition, may be in mog gear, may be any number of gear sets and not in his or her optimal set. He may be trying a new setup, or she may already have those gems and enchants in the mail but not equipped them yet.

You can look up mine all you like and try and 'out' me for something I may have missed, but I guarantee you I'm already on top of it and there's a reason why my setup is the way it is. I don't assume anything less of any other player.

In short: Debate the issue, not the player.
Our matchmaking system does its best to even out healers between teams in Random Battlegrounds. So if one team has 3 healers, it will do its best to match up them up against a team with a similar number. Maybe it's 2 or 4 instead of 3, but it's still relatively even in the grand scope of things.

When we see cases like the OP describes where one team has a much higher number of healers than the other, that's almost always due to players misusing the queue system. See, when you queue for a BG, the system assumes you intend to play the role you've queued for (or if you've selected both, that you'll play whatever role it assigns you). As we've investigated these cases of heavy healer imbalance, we've discovered that's not always the case.

Sometimes, a player will queue as both roles, but not play the one they're assigned (either because they didn't notice it, or simply chose to ignore it). Some players queue as healer with the intention of playing as DPS, under the (incorrect) assumption that it will speed up their queue times. In some extreme cases, players will specifically queue as DPS with the intention of playing healer and causing an imbalance.

To alleviate this and help ensure that groups have equal numbers of healers, we plan to lock players into specs that align with the role they were assigned when the queue popped. So, for example, a Shaman who only selects the Damage Dealer option when queuing will be forced to play as either Enhancement or Elemental once they're in the battleground. A Priest who selects Healer can choose to play as either Holy or Discipline, but not Shadow. And a Monk who selects both Healer and Damage Dealer and is assigned to heal will be forced to play Mistweaver.

Keep in mind that the system doesn't look for a set number of healers when it's setting up games -- all it's doing is trying to match up teams with roughly the same number. The goal isn't necessarily to ensure that every single game has 3 healers, it's just to make sure that it doesn't match a team with 4 healers up against a team who only has 1. When everyone's playing the roles they're expected to, it can be much more successful.
04/29/2014 01:00 PMPosted by Lore
Our matchmaking system does its best to even out healers between teams in Random Battlegrounds. So if one team has 3 healers, it will do its best to match up them up against a team with a similar number. Maybe it's 2 or 4 instead of 3, but it's still relatively even in the grand scope of things.

When we see cases like the OP describes where one team has a much higher number of healers than the other, that's almost always due to players misusing the queue system. See, when you queue for a BG, the system assumes you intend to play the role you've queued for (or if you've selected both, that you'll play whatever role it assigns you). As we've investigated these cases of heavy healer imbalance, we've discovered that's not always the case.

Sometimes, a player will queue as both roles, but not play the one they're assigned (either because they didn't notice it, or simply chose to ignore it). Some players queue as healer with the intention of playing as DPS, under the (incorrect) assumption that it will speed up their queue times. In some extreme cases, players will specifically queue as DPS with the intention of playing healer and causing an imbalance.

To alleviate this and help ensure that groups have equal numbers of healers, we plan to lock players into specs that align with the role they were assigned when the queue popped. So, for example, a Shaman who only selects the Damage Dealer option when queuing will be forced to play as either Enhancement or Elemental once they're in the battleground. A Priest who selects Healer can choose to play as either Holy or Discipline, but not Shadow. And a Monk who selects both Healer and Damage Dealer and is assigned to heal will be forced to play Mistweaver.

Keep in mind that the system doesn't look for a set number of healers when it's setting up games -- all it's doing is trying to match up teams with roughly the same number. The goal isn't necessarily to ensure that every single game has 3 healers, it's just to make sure that it doesn't match a team with 4 healers up against a team who only has 1. When everyone's playing the roles they're expected to, it can be much more successful.

Really?

I seen lost of bgs on the ally side where we have 1 or 0 healers while horde has 3-4
04/29/2014 01:05 PMPosted by Morrigan
Really?

I seen lost of bgs on the ally side where we have 1 or 0 healers while horde has 3-4

I'm in a lot of games where I'm the only healer - had I queued on my mage instead there would be none.
Maybe its just my luck but I rarely see a disproportionate amount of heals in games. Sometimes you get 3 heals vs your zero (or one) but those games are rarely ever lost for that reason alone.
Holy blue post batman !, didn't expect to see blue in this thread, but great to have you .I will have more to say later
Our matchmaking system does its best to even out healers between teams in Random Battlegrounds. So if one team has 3 healers, it will do its best to match up them up against a team with a similar number.

when you queue for a BG, the system assumes you intend to play the role you've queued for (or if you've selected both, that you'll play whatever role it assigns you).

Some players queue as healer with the intention of playing as DPS, under the (incorrect) assumption that it will speed up their queue times.

U WOT M8?

Please consider doing this for LFR as well! I see far too many DPS queueing as heals to get in fast, then complain about why they need to switch when they're called out on it.
A blue post! must be the end of the world...............of warcraft.
Hopefully this doesn't mean having to be in spec while waiting for BGs. I'm typically out doing dailies as enhance while waiting the 8 or so minutes for a BG queue to pop--but generally I'm healing in BGs.

If I have to sit in resto while waiting for queues to pop, then I beg of you to give all heal specs enough damage to be able to do daily chores reasonably--I doubt I'd be willing to sit in an inn or city for ~8 minutes, doing nothing, while waiting to get into a BG, but random battlegrounds are one of my favourite parts of the game.....I just hope this doesn't become an issue.

Now, if you really want to absolutely delight me, at the end of the BG you'll also give me a chance to change spec and gear set, so that when I land back in front of a horde of spiders I can actually kill them in a reasonable period of time :)

Finally, to be honest, I seldom think to see what role I'm told I'm playing currently, and instead look at the ratio of healers on my side and the balance between sides. On this toon I prefer to heal, but will do damage in the rare case of having crazy number of heals. On my druid I prefer to play feral, but will heal if we are really shorthanded on the healing side of things. (and sometimes I zone in to find the game is in progress, and I can't change specs, no matter my intention).

I may be a bit cranky if I find my side has no heals while the other side has two, and I'm not allowed to switch spec to healing. I may prefer playing one spec to the other, but what I prefer even more is giving my side the best chance of winning. But only a bit, nothing compared to how cranky I'll be if I have to sit in healing spec if I want to heal a BG.
04/29/2014 01:28 PMPosted by Vashkiri
Hopefully this doesn't mean having to be in spec while waiting for BGs.

It doesn't. :)

I seldom think to see what role I'm told I'm playing currently...

[...]

I may be a bit cranky if I find my side has no heals while the other side has two, and I'm not allowed to switch spec to healing.

The first part is something a lot of people do, and it directly leads to the issue in the second part. Quite regularly, the reason your side has no heals and the other side has two is that someone on your team was assigned the Healer role and just didn't notice. It's probably not even malicious most of the time -- they just didn't notice the healer icon before they clicked the button.
Lore, appreciate the attention in the BG Forums, but I don't think that anyone who queues for BG's regularly believes that the role check is anything more than a placebo to make us think the system is matching up teams by roles (healers vs DPS).
I'm glad they're making this change in WoD. Forcing players to play what they queued for. Now if only you'd add, if there is an imbalance and players with a healing spec on the lower healing side, forcing them to heal.
04/29/2014 01:32 PMPosted by Lore
It's probably not even malicious most of the time -- they just didn't notice the healer icon before they clicked the button.

It is true that, when I'm on a horde toon,by the time the window comes up I'm usually so excitedly that I click first, then realize it is too late to see what my nominal role was......I'll say this for forced roles, at least you'll know what role you are supposed to be in :p

And BTW, forgot to mention--really appreciate the posts, Lore. Saw this teased on Twitter yesterday, was a bit concerned, but you've washed my worries away :)
Best news ever (ok, not best news). But, thank you for clarifying, and noticing the faults of the system.