Will world of warcraft go free to play

General Discussion
Will world of warcraft go free to play like lord of the rings online has?
Nope.
There's always the chance, but it'll probably be after this xpac.
Why does this weird idea keep coming up over and over?
05/11/2014 11:45 AMPosted by Aleflusher
Why does this weird idea keep coming up over and over?

People think "free to play" means less expensive.

However, F2P models rely on giving you things you simply have to pay for to keep playing. Most of the people I know playing F2P games are spending more than $15/mo. on them.

That being said, I'm playing Clash of Clans without spending money. But I'm in the minority on that in my clan.
Sure. Let's kill the cash cow.

Even better, let's go with the SWtOR ftp model.
05/11/2014 11:44 AMPosted by Legacyiv
There's always the chance, but it'll probably be after this xpac.

Doubtful.
You're free to play it for the low low price of $15 a month.
05/11/2014 11:52 AMPosted by Crepe
That being said, I'm playing Clash of Clans without spending money. But I'm in the minority on that in my clan.

Your doing it right. They make enough money as it is.
05/11/2014 11:58 AMPosted by Arkimus

I laughed at this, so in China is it a requirement that you play/pay?
Honestly, if it does..It won't be for quite sometime.

Let's look at how much money this game pulls in, for one. And let's look at how long it took Everquest to even go remotely F2P, with not even a fraction of the subs that WoW has built up.

Let's also remember what Crepe said...The reality is, most F2P games end up costing you more than a monthly sub based game. Cash shops that have items, mats, gear, etc that is very crucial to the game is a reality in most F2P Games. Sure, there are a handful in which these items are mostly just vanity, and some which don't even follow this model. But they are few and far between.

The only "F2P" games I play are Runescape and Mabinogi.
05/11/2014 11:59 AMPosted by Truxxe
05/11/2014 11:58 AMPosted by Arkimus

In China you pay by the hour/minute, as internet is limited there.
Yeah sure if you want the game to fail and crash like every subscription game tho goes FTP->PTW.

NO, NEVER, NOPE.
05/11/2014 12:02 PMPosted by Averax
05/11/2014 11:59 AMPosted by Truxxe

In China you pay by the hour/minute, as internet is limited there.

Now that sucks. =/
They said they weren't against it in the future, I believe (at the time it was either earlier this year or late last year but I don't remember exactly when), but WoW is still going pretty strong. 15 bucks from ~7mil (least that's what I've heard idk idk) is still quite a dollop of money, not including potential pet and mount sales, faction/server changes, or 90 boosts.
If this game goes F2P you know they will have another game like it ready to roll out. The day they come out with a new game like wow I will be on that like white on rice!
Once the population drops a lot more than it is right now, then it probably will.

That day is not in the foreseeable future though.
wow is free to play.
I have played both RIFT and GW2.

I all ways think how much fun it would be to just sit down and play the games and just get what I can out of the game with out spending money.

But the result each time is the same and I all ways come back to World of Warcraft.

Wow will never be anything but a subscriber based MMORPG and I'm very glad for that it gives me greater resolve to play actually.