People still dont know content of SoO by now?

General Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 4 9 Next
05/08/2014 04:29 AMPosted by Elylvannia
Some don't want to raid every single day.

TIL you have to raid every day to know simple boss mechanics

05/08/2014 05:14 AMPosted by Nayuki
I haven't set foot in SoO yet. I dare you to give me !@#$ over it. Go on. Tell me I supposed to know how to play the game before I've even played it, like all the other elitist scum out there.

So would you rather just let me have you die, instead of being like "Hey, next time you get the debuff, cleanse someone" or like, "Hey, when you get knocked off Galakras tower, there is a big AoE thing the boss puts out to avoid"

#elitist
#elitistscum

05/08/2014 05:23 AMPosted by Veloniùs
05/08/2014 05:14 AMPosted by Nayuki
I haven't set foot in SoO yet. I dare you to give me !@#$ over it. Go on. Tell me I supposed to know how to play the game before I've even played it, like all the other elitist scum out there.

If only resources existed out there where you could type questions into a search bar and find answers to said questions. That would be a world I'd want to live in.
05/08/2014 04:10 AMPosted by Shylan
Hello all,

Now I've been on deployment for about 3 months now and I finally got to sit down and play some WoW again just to see whats happening and I've found that in LFR, Flex, and even Normal raids, people still don't know how the bosses are fought and heck even where to go.

*raises hand*

Yep. That's me. I haven't a clue what to do in any of the Pandaland dungeons let alone raids. Heck, I didn't even do any Cataclysm raids and only went back to Lich King dungeons because a guild mate talked me into getting some achievements.

What they've done to the dungeons is a complete turn off to me. They're nothing but a sprint to the end. There's no coordination, no working together, no camaraderie. Oh, and don't make a mistake or have any confusion about the boss mechanics. Instant ridicule layered on you right there.

If I could find a decent group of folks who do the dungeons and don't mind showing new players, or players like me who have taken long breaks from the game, the ropes then I might be able to get into the swing of things and find a modicum of enjoyment with the end game. But until I discover a group like that I simply won't do the dungeons and raids.
05/08/2014 10:50 AMPosted by Vhivi
If I could find a decent group of folks who do the dungeons and don't mind showing new players, or players like me who have taken long breaks from the game, the ropes then I might be able to get into the swing of things and find a modicum of enjoyment with the end game. But until I discover a group like that I simply won't do the dungeons and raids.

theres this cool player called youtube which will teach you everything you need to know

you dont even need to add him in game, you can add him in the address bar on the top

you can then ask him questions directly in his search bar
05/08/2014 04:15 AMPosted by Aaeiyn
Maybe I just have more faith in humanity then most people, but I believe some people may be coming back into the game, especially with the new service of boosted 90s. I think these people are new to the game. I don't mind explaining the fights.
That and it may be a new type of class for the person in question. I have problems with melees that aren't tanks since I main a hunter (and to a lesser extent, BrM). I can do what I have to do as a hunter/ranged sort of class without really thinking about it unless my brain's on the slowtrain that night/day whatever (which is another thing that happens; if you don't do it you're probably lying through your teeth), but melee's positionings/gotta do this and look out for that etc etc is still something I've yet to grasp.

And also this. I can watch all the videos I want and read up on them, but it sticks way better when I'm actually doing the encounter. v
05/08/2014 06:58 AMPosted by Sabyrr
You can read about it and watch videos of the fights but for many of us it takes a couple of runs through it to really get the mechanics down.
05/08/2014 10:52 AMPosted by Zaino

theres this cool player called youtube which will teach you everything you need to know

you dont even need to add him in game, you can add him in the address bar on the top

Nope. Some people may be able to filter through the jargon and bad comunication skills in those videos, but even if you can you have to go in and do the content. What you're saying is you can learn everything you need to know about driving by watching someone else do it. That's baloney. Until you've been behind the wheel and have practiced it, you won't be able to actually do it with any effectiveness. The same goes for dungeons/raids in this game. You can read everything out there and watch all the choppy productions, but until you drive your character in those situations and learn what to do live you won't know how to do them.
I took a break back in Sept of 13 until a week ago. Sorry I have not bothered to read/watch youtubes between Sept and Yesterday. I had better things to do.
The rule I follow is that you should watch a video on how the boss fight is done. Specifically for your class role.

After that, there will be pre-boss discussions on placements/tower teams/who opens green boxes/who's on belt/stuff of that nature.

You can't just pull every boss one after another unless you discuss these things but nor should you have to take half an hour to describe every detail of the boss to everyone.
05/08/2014 11:00 AMPosted by Vhivi
Nope. Some people may be able to filter through the jargon and bad comunication skills in those videos, but even if you can you have to go in and do the content. What you're saying is you can learn everything you need to know about driving by watching someone else do it. That's baloney. Until you've been behind the wheel and have practiced it, you won't be able to actually do it with any effectiveness. The same goes for dungeons/raids in this game. You can read everything out there and watch all the choppy productions, but until you drive your character in those situations and learn what to do live you won't know how to do them.

It gives you a foot in the door. Take the example people use with protectors. Look at inferno strike. http://www.wowhead.com/spell=143962

This ability unlike most bad things, you have to stack for. People who have no idea what they are doing would run away. Its not hard to watch a few videos and familiarize yourself with the content.

Noone wants to spoonfeed players like a baby. At least I sure as hell dont.
05/08/2014 10:52 AMPosted by Zaino

Not sure if you are meaning to be harsh and rude, so I'll give you the benefit if the doubt. Believe it or not, people can learn differently. Scary, I know. You can read guides and watch videos, but it may take, actually, doing the content to really understand it. And some people may need several runs to get the hang if it. And some of us total raid losers may want to interact with an actual person. I run any new content with, at least, one friend in vent so I can ask questions as we go and make fewer mistakes.

@Vhivi. I am often doing various things early Sunday mornings. If you would like to run a random dungeon or LFR with some company, whisper me. Storm#1304. I'm no expert, but I'm excellent graveyard company.
05/08/2014 11:06 AMPosted by Chetarindre
Not sure if you are meaning to be harsh and rude, so I'll give you the benefit if the doubt. Believe it or not, people can learn differently. Scary, I know. You can read guides and watch videos, but it may take, actually, doing the content to really understand it. And some people may need several runs to get the hang if it. And some of us total raid losers may want to interact with an actual person. I run any new content with, at least, one friend in vent so I can ask questions as we go and make fewer mistakes.

Again as I stated above it gives you at the very least some familiarization with the content. I understand not everyone learns at the same pace but the general vibe im getting here is that players want to be spoonfed the content.
So I just have to ask, how is it people don't know this content by now. If I'm not mistaken SoO dropped more than 5 months so the first month or so is understandable but now? Even being so close to the new xpac people still don't know the content?
Some people really, truly, haven't been in SoO before. And some were in LFR, but they were not paying attention - not that there's much that can kill you anyway, so there's no learning involved. I get shocked when i see an armory of someone and they are under 496 geared after several months at 90 - and they log in several days a week - but they exist. I don't know what they do when they log in, but it's definitely different things than what I do. I'm at 500 an hour after hitting 90 with TI tokens and a quick spending of JP/honor and maybe some gold if I really need to.

Prime example: 2nd boss(s) of SoO, player gets the yellow circle of death and he runs into a corner as if something was chasing him and he just blows up. I couldn't help but drop to the ground laughing as i watched a 543k HP dps toon just drop dead. I mean common really?
While the elitist jerk in me laughs at their lack of knowledge, I have another side to me, where I realize no one told them what to look for and what to do about it. And honestly, I'd prefer they gtfo because it is a very similar graphic to others where you need to gtfo. It's design is not intuitive.

Although I do get mad at the ones who still do that despite me explaining explicitly what it looks like and what to do and when it occurs.

PS: I am open to admit I haven't done Heroic SoO yet so throw hits at me for that one if you want to but for LFR, Norm, and Flex there shouldn't be any type of excuse.
There are a lot of people who refuse to look outside for info before stepping in. I think it's pretty rude to strangers to expect them to hold your hand and waste their time while you make mistake after mistake that was preventable had you read up on the fight. However, it's always good policy to explain the fights regardless if everyone says they know them. Not only can you get everyone on the same page for the strat, but there are probably some things people have not seen before even if they have done the fight.
05/08/2014 11:11 AMPosted by Frostberrie
There are a lot of people who refuse to look outside for info before stepping in. I think it's pretty rude to strangers to expect them to hold your hand and waste their time while you make mistake after mistake that was preventable had you read up on the fight. However, it's always good policy to explain the fights regardless if everyone says they know them. Not only can you get everyone on the same page for the strat, but there are probably some things people have not seen before even if they have done the fight.

I absolutely cannot agree with this more.
If the raid is mostly pugs, even if they all have 14/14 is a good idea to at least give a quick review on how you going to do the fight. There is no universal strategy to the bosses, you can do something a little different than other raid groups, so is not a bad a idea to get everyone on the same page before you wipe because the random guy didn't do what you expect him to do.
05/08/2014 11:14 AMPosted by Dartakan
so is not a bad a idea to get everyone on the same page before you wipe because the random guy didn't do what you expect him to do.

It is good to go over the strategy but I personally feel that if you dont know whats going on / what strategy is being used you absolutely need to speak up before the pull. This is a MMO guys.... its a social game. Feels like the majority of the population are introverts / shy / antisocial.
05/08/2014 11:04 AMPosted by Zaino
It gives you a foot in the door. Take the example people use with protectors. Look at inferno strike. http://www.wowhead.com/spell=143962

This ability unlike most bad things, you have to stack for. People who have no idea what they are doing would run away. Its not hard to watch a few videos and familiarize yourself with the content.

Noone wants to spoonfeed players like a baby. At least I sure as hell dont.

You just dropped into jargon-mode. It's so very easy to do, but when you're trying to tell someone, like me, who hasn't been anywhere near any of that what to do, the jargon is nothing but random words. Getting an explanation that uses jargon is worthless to me. I have to pause, go look up the word, filter through more jargon in the explanations and eventually get an inkling of what is meant.

Oh, and if no one wants to spoonfeed other players, there would be no videos and discusion of the fights anywhere to be found. Let me tell you something, no one likes dealing with condescending, pompous attitudes when all they want to do is play the game. I think I made that clear earlier. I would rather skip the content and avoid the snide comments from impatient people. I think my solution satisfies you as well as me.
OP-I'm sure that as you watched that player run to the corner to die you quickly typed for him to stack,as well as running to him so that he would stay alive when it went off.

Oh,of course not,why would you? You take issue with people instructing new players and laugh at players who make a mistake.
and I've found that in LFR, Flex, and even Normal raids, people still don't know how the bosses are fought and heck even where to go.

For some players, I'm betting they're legitimately new to the game or the instance. Yes, even in a normal raid difficulty.

For others, it's not a lack of knowing, it's a lack of caring.
05/08/2014 11:09 AMPosted by Zaino
05/08/2014 11:06 AMPosted by Chetarindre

Again as I stated above it gives you at the very least some familiarization with the content. I understand not everyone learns at the same pace but the general vibe im getting here is that players want to be spoonfed the content.

And as I stated earlier, it is easy to be familiar and still get the different fight mechanics mixed up and confused, if you don't do it often. There is a big range from spoon feeding, to making a mistake, to getting confused, to knowing the fight hands down.
05/08/2014 11:23 AMPosted by Vhivi
You just dropped into jargon-mode. It's so very easy to do, but when you're trying to tell someone, like me, who hasn't been anywhere near any of that what to do, the jargon is nothing but random words. Getting an explanation that uses jargon is worthless to me. I have to pause, go look up the word, filter through more jargon in the explanations and eventually get an inkling of what is meant.

Oh, and if no one wants to spoonfeed other players, there would be no videos and discusion of the fights anywhere to be found. Let me tell you something, no one likes dealing with condescending, pompous attitudes when all they want to do is play the game. I think I made that clear earlier. I would rather skip the content and avoid the snide comments from impatient people. I think my solution satisfies you as well as me.
I get what you are saying regarding jargon. But you have to admit, even though it means nothing when you go in there the first time, when you do see the warning for it you realize, oohhhh I should do this now! Even if you screw it up, you will then you get it right on the next pull because you will have seen it and its consequences. Without knowing the jargon, it's going to take you at least one more time. Once to learn the jargon and once to realize what to do or not to do.

Refusing to at least learn all you can ahead of time because you think it's wasting your time wastes the times of everyone else while they wait for you to take longer than everyone else to learn.
When threads like this come up I'm always amazed at the casuals who simply refuse to put any effort into preparing for one of the most coordinated and "rely on people executing their responsibilities" aspects of this game; ie Raiding. Leads me to this question:

What other things in life do you not prepare for or do half assed? Do any of you play competitive sports? Do you think it would fly with your coach if you showed up at practice and said "i don't know the plays, I was hoping I'd show up and you would walk me through them".....I wonder what would happen.......

Do you join a conference call at work where you were given the Business Requirements ahead of time, not bothered to review them, and then have nothing to say when your VP asks you about something specifically in those Requirements?

My wife is an excellent baker and she is crazy about following recipes to a tee.......she prepares for her hobby by studying that recipe inside out, knowing every measurement, and then going in there and making an incredible cake........but no, what would you guys do, would you just wing it, throw in whatever ingredients you want, and then wonder why the cake turned out how it did and tastes like crud?

This "participation trophy" generation amazes me, it truly does.

Grow a back bone, roll your sleeves up, do some prep work, and become your own leader.