To Fly or Not to Fly...that is the question 2

General Discussion
1 2 3 26 Next
Our topic was just capped.

To those that would like to catch up, the original topic can be found here

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/12673658420?page=1

Please let's try to keep the conversation going in a civil way!

Edit - The following quote was given, and it is very relavent, so I'm copy and pasting it here for the new people that might not make it to reading every single post

05/09/2014 11:27 AMPosted by Sufia
As part of all this exploration gameplay, we are not gonna let you fly in Warlords of Draenor.

Source -- Kris Zierhut, Lead Class Designer for WoD speaking at PAX East; transcript at http://warcraft.blizzplanet.com/blog/comments/pax-east-2014-warlords-of-draenor-blizzplanet-interviews-kris-zierhut-steve-burke

That doesn't sound like "wait and see" to me.
My Ashes of A'lar do not deserve to be stuck on the ground.
Posted by Scarlytte

You realize that anyone playing beta is going to be NDA, right? And the only people who are going to be able to release are vetted for release, right? We aren't going to get off the cuff opinions, and as someone else pointed out, we're talking post max level, when flight would usually kick in. We have no idea otherwise.

That being said, thank you, OP. I hadn't heard in a while if they'd struck to their guns (something I thought was dumb) and your analysis of the flaws in their argument was wonderful. Thanks you.

Thank you for your kind words.
05/08/2014 02:09 PMPosted by Destronoma

ohhh... I jealous... I'm still trying to convince that pretty bird to drop for me.

And no... he DEFINITELY needs to be soaring though the air in all his flaming glory!
As i have said in may other posts. I give them the benefit of the doubt. I been playing this game for a while now and they have done the right thing so far.
05/08/2014 02:12 PMPosted by Charishc
05/08/2014 02:09 PMPosted by Destronoma

ohhh... I jealous... I'm still trying to convince that pretty bird to drop for me.

And no... he DEFINITELY needs to be soaring though the air in all his flaming glory!

When ya get that pretty little mount, you know you can still use it in previous expansion's, riiiight?
I guess we druids who have several travel forms are just morons when it comes to flying..I guess we seem to always forget how to fly..
05/08/2014 02:22 PMPosted by Lorient
I guess we druids who have several travel forms are just morons when it comes to flying..I guess we seem to always forget how to fly..

Birdbrains.
05/08/2014 02:22 PMPosted by Lorient

WTB a new level 68 skill that actually works in current content!!
05/08/2014 02:17 PMPosted by Mikenova
05/08/2014 02:12 PMPosted by Charishc

When ya get that pretty little mount, you know you can still use it in previous expansion's, riiiight?

I am ok with flying in outdated content if I can do my current quests and whatever else needs to be done..Otherwise this is the stupidest comment I have seen on this subject..Why would I want to fly in old content when everyone will be in Draenor?
Below is a post I came across on mmo-champ. It makes total sense to me and I don't see how anyone on either side can argue against this. I plan on posting it on every flying thread I come across because I believe the more eyes that see this the better.

"What baffles me is how all these discussions seem to be based on the premise of "FLYING: IS IT GOOD OR BAD DESIGN? WE MUST SOLVE THIS QUESTION"

Anyone who can take a step back and think objectively for a minute can see how flying has upsides and downsides. It enhances the game in many ways, and detracts from it in many others. A lot of players adore flying, while a lot of others don't. It is not some fundamental principle of game design, it's a system, and like any system it has very little intrinsic value one way or another at its core; it's all down to the execution.

If the recent discussions on it have proven anything, it's that flying in WoW is something that's entirely subjective to most players. Nobody's "wrong" in how they view it, they just value certain elements of game design differently to others.

The big issue with the changes Blizzard is planning to make for WoD stems from the fact that they, too, seem to be approaching flying with this binary all-or-nothing mindset that a lot of players have. I cannot fathom for the life of me why they don't strike a healthy balance between dedicated no-fly zones like the Timeless/Thunder isle and a more traditionally open, flyable world. The idea of having either a completely un-flyable expansion, or an expansion that starts un-flyable only to have flying unlocked after a certain point, seems to me that it will only succeed in alienating the maximum number of players possible.

There are so many ways they could design the expansion to cater to both flyable and ground-based content in a way that would make everyone feel like they're getting thrown a bone, rather than leaving one group feeling shafted. In a game with a playerbase as enormously diverse as WoW's, designing content that appeals to one niche while completely shutting down another is never a good way to make sure everyone's having fun."
05/08/2014 02:26 PMPosted by Jáu
The only expansion that started out with flying was Cataclysm. All other expansions we used ground mounts at the launch of the expansion.

Flight was available on day one of all of those expansions. True, few players poop-socked it to level cap in the first 24 hours, but if someone did and they had to the gold to buy it, flight was there waiting for them.

Now, it won't be.
The only expansion that started out with flying was Cataclysm. All other expansions we used ground mounts at the launch of the expansion. This discussion about flying mounts is getting old.

Get over it.

That coming from a PvP player..A large % of the anti-flight comments have been from "flying has ruined wPvP" players..
The only expansion that started out with flying was Cataclysm. All other expansions we used ground mounts at the launch of the expansion. This discussion about flying mounts is getting old.

Get over it.

And that has nothing to do with the issue, in every other expansion flying was allowed at max level. Not with an arbitrary it might be allowed maybe in some future patch which will be months away at earliest or possibly just never.
I simply don't care, I will adapt and deal with it either way Blizzard chooses to set it up.

Quit beating a dead horse. I believe I read somewhere that Blizzard stated they were not sure what direction they were going in.

There's your answer. Constantly making posts about "flying" is not helping anything. If I worked at Blizzard and was in charge of flying I would leave it out just because of all the crying.