To Fly or Not to Fly...that is the question 2

General Discussion
Prev 1 11 12 13 26 Next
What follows is not a prediction, hunch or even a conspiracy theory. It's merely a series of questions based on a hypothetical premise for discussion.

1) If, someday, the irrevocable decision is made to remove flight entirely from the game, will you continue to play?

2) Do you believe a majority of players will embrace such a decision?

3) If the decision is not acceptable to you, can you conceive of any possible compromise that would keep you subscribing?

4) If the decision is not acceptable to you, is there any explanation of such a decision that would satisfy you enough to keep subscribing?
1) No
2) No
3) No
4) No

Maybe I"m a bit extreme, but the rather extreme nature of the premise would really piss off a whole lot of people. I don't see much in the way of concessions that Blizz could make that would make up for it in any meaningful way.
05/09/2014 06:32 AMPosted by Uorokku
Not even beta wait for beta before you make suggestions you have no idea what the game will be like without flying so you can't voice a valid argument because you lack evidence. This isn't an attack on flying btw honestly both sides need to present evidence which they cant yet until they experience it.

I've played the game without flying many times. There is no evidence that WoD will be radically different from the flightless content we've all experienced before, including the 1-60 experience that was revamped not that long ago. Nothing in any of the game show previews of the expansion has mentioned or noted any earth-shattering innovations in WoD's standard, combat-heavy "blast your way through the problem" gameplay.

If the quest design was more complex, maybe flight wouldn't have to be removed at all. While efficiency is a factor, our use of flight is also a reaction to the content itself. The few examples we've been given of the content they think a no-flight experience benefits sound like weak content that flight simply makes weaker, and nothing we haven't done before, like "go kill this boss in a fortress where he's surrounded by trash mobs" or "jump from one spot to another spot to another spot for some kind of reward."
05/09/2014 07:08 AMPosted by Killgraft
But yea, devs really dont want flying.

Well.. Really they dont want flying when content is relevant.. That much they have been saying for a long time now. Just what defines content still being relevant? Imo, that would be based on how many still has things to do. Which could also be a reason for the change in saying it will be at 6.1
05/09/2014 07:33 AMPosted by Sufia
What follows is not a prediction, hunch or even a conspiracy theory. It's merely a series of questions based on a hypothetical premise for discussion.

1) If, someday, the irrevocable decision is made to remove flight entirely from the game, will you continue to play?

3) If the decision is not acceptable to you, can you conceive of any possible compromise that would keep you subscribing?

4) If the decision is not acceptable to you, is there any explanation of such a decision that would satisfy you enough to keep subscribing?

1) I would be less inclined to renew my subscription.

2) No, I think the devs are going to get a very nasty surprise when the majority of people start hitting max level and realize they can't fly because as has been pointed out most players do not browse the forums or keep up with sites like mmorpg.

3) Blizzard made flying work for 8 years, all the issues other than wpvp were addressed in BC 8 years ago when flying launched just keeping those same solutions would work.

4) See number one.
If, someday, the irrevocable decision is made to remove flight entirely from the game, will you continue to play?

If they announce this decision clearly and decisively before the expansion is released, explain their reasoning for it clearly, redesign and promote all store mounts primarily as ground mounts.
05/09/2014 06:51 AMPosted by Nepheena
Or even better. In UO, PVP death meant that the winning player got to loot your body! Oh sure, we do now for a pittance of the real loot on a body. (AB loot per body is below 1 silver). Want to make PVP and wPVP matter? Make it worth the time.

No, just no.

I remember this in UO- it bit.

Plus, world pvp these days is lowbie ganking. It's not a fair fight. Another player being able to take away gear from someone that can not defend themselves is just flat out silly.

Another thing- at least as far as PVE servers go: we'll now have the option on whether or not we actually want ourselves flagged. Me, I personally plan on having my flag turned permanently off at all times (unless I decide to go to the rare BG or even Ashran).
05/09/2014 07:46 AMPosted by Menrva
05/09/2014 07:08 AMPosted by Killgraft
But yea, devs really dont want flying.

Well.. Really they dont want flying when content is relevant.. That much they have been saying for a long time now. Just what defines content still being relevant? Imo, that would be based on how many still has things to do. Which could also be a reason for the change in saying it will be at 6.1

I assume they mean relevant by the entirety of a continent that is current expansion.

But, thing is with Pandaria: Most zones become irrelevant after quests are done. Then its mostly for professions and world bosses. Serious changes have to be made to make this work well, and Ive stated before if those changes arent good or not enough, i'll switch sides in a heart beat and want flying back.

1. No.

2. In the long term, no. I think in the short term many wouldn't mind. Then, as time drags on, they'll miss the speed, or they'll realize WPVP didn't rise from its grave, or their "gogogo" guildmasters will grouse about how slow they're going, or their rose-tinted 'nillastalgia goggles will come off, or any of the other factors that ultimately keep them flying now even though they claim to hate it - none of which are being fixed by removing flight - will rise to the surface again.

3. No. I doubt very much Blizzard would compromise. They're all-or-nothing kind of guys.

4. No.

No flying will be the deal breaker though.

see

i can't even take this kind of talk seriously.

flying is a mode of travel. If you truly enjoyed this game, it wouldn't make a difference. i just read it as fake outrage and youll be playing wod anyways with everyone else in this thread.

1) Not completely, but I'll have even less of a reason to log in. I like to decide which way I want to explore from one day to the next. I don't like being told: you will do it this way and you will like it.

2) If you look at any of the polls on MMO-C: it's split about evenly on the issue (though I know those polls aren't exactly accurate because a lot of MMO-C people don't play WoW anymore). I think once more of those people that are for this change (who are basing their thoughts on just two small islands) realize how much of a PITA things are, they'll start realizing how much better off they were with flying.

3) Make it to where I can get off a taxi flight path anywhere I want to. Too many times, I've flown over a spot on a taxi that I wanted to see usually on my way somewhere 3 zones away.

4) See 3. Also, I'm tired of seeing the devs make rash decisions without thinking about the actual possible outcomes. Take the early Cata heroics for example. Those were a nightmare to many people that initially started in LK. Why? Because LK heroics barely- if ever- required CC.

This whole decision feels like some vanilla dev came back to the game and missed the way things used to be. Kind of like some of the older players I've seen lately on the forums that have come back. They don't realize a lot of the changes made were made for the good of the game and that they are dealing with a completely different player base than they had back in vanilla.

To quote Roland Deschain from the Dark Tower series: The world has moved on.
my question is how does removing flying enhance supporters game play?
(WPvP will not change from lack of flying)
05/09/2014 07:57 AMPosted by Bøtanical

No flying will be the deal breaker though.

see

i can't even take this kind of talk seriously.

flying is a mode of travel. If you truly enjoyed this game, it wouldn't make a difference. i just read it as fake outrage and youll be playing wod anyways with everyone else in this thread.

Looks like this post was reported for no reason but disagreement.

The report button is not some kind of "super downvote" people, and falsely reporting posts is frowned on by blizzard, and could come back around on you.

Let's keep it civil guys.
05/08/2014 04:00 PMPosted by Ziryus
Then all blizzard needs to do is announce what features they're adding that will be broken by flying. Because so far nothing new that we've heard about is affected by flying.

From what I heard is they will be able to add "Jump Puzzles" because of not having flying. OH JOY. The 20 or so jump puzzles that will be add will be just as great as flying. (NOT)
05/09/2014 08:29 AMPosted by Alvedious
05/08/2014 04:00 PMPosted by Ziryus
Then all blizzard needs to do is announce what features they're adding that will be broken by flying. Because so far nothing new that we've heard about is affected by flying.

From what I heard is they will be able to add "Jump Puzzles" because of not having flying. OH JOY. The 20 or so jump puzzles that will be add will be just as great as flying. (NOT)

Wow didnt hear about that, can you link a blue post?
05/08/2014 05:11 PMPosted by Bøtanical
If you guys truly love flying for flyings sake, you'll go fly in the rest of the vast world. Lotta cool places and nostalgia to it.

No, what you care about is the convenience of avoiding the world and blizzard sees that as a big problem.

Case closed.

Case closed?

Perhaps in your mind, but thankfully the rest of us can think for ourselves. And many think that not having flight just because some dev does not like it is a bad idea.

And I also don't really care what Blizzard thinks of my play style. I pay for the expac (but not this time) & the monthly subscription cost, not Blizzard. Their opinion is of very little importance to me. They think that avoiding mobs is a "big problem"? Good for them. I think that them telling me how to play is a big problem, and I am not going to pay for what I see as a substandard expansion.
05/09/2014 07:54 AMPosted by Killgraft
05/09/2014 07:46 AMPosted by Menrva

I assume they mean relevant by the entirety of a continent that is current expansion.

But, thing is with Pandaria: Most zones become irrelevant after quests are done. Then its mostly for professions and world bosses. Serious changes have to be made to make this work well, and Ive stated before if those changes arent good or not enough, i'll switch sides in a heart beat and want flying back.

Thats true, being relevant could very well mean the xpac as a whole. As far as zones and questing, supposedly in WoD theres going to be a few zones dedicated to just max level content as well as partial areas in the other zones for the max level content. So you wont even be leveling in every zone of the main Draenor landmass.

Still dont mind what they are wanting to see.. My decision on if the change works or not will be more based on when I can actually try it out. Even if everyone enjoys the content change at max level, I would bet flying is allowed at some point. I could be wrong though.
05/09/2014 08:33 AMPosted by Killgraft
05/09/2014 08:29 AMPosted by Alvedious

Wow didnt hear about that, can you link a blue post?

That's the kind of content flying trivializes and that they seem to think was awesome in TI and IoT.