Prot pally question - Divine Shield

Paladin
Hello, I'm a new prot pally and new to tanking as well. I just have a question about Divine Shield.

Does using Divine Shield causes you to lose aggro? Because every time i use it as a emergency button, it makes things worse. I lose my aggro every time i use it.
It suspends threat, it's restored as soon as Divine Shield is cancelled.

You can't use it as a Tank CD in that manner, it's most useful application for Prot is clearing nasty dots or debuffs that you may incur.

So you'll want a cancel macro for it like this.

#showtooltip Divine Shield
/cancelaura Divine Shield
/cast Divine Shield

Hit it once and you activie Divine Shield, quickly hit it again to cancel it.
Now that explains it.

Thanks Cadenbrie for the info and that useful macro. I surely will use it :)
To prevent dps from getting randomly gibbed when doing it, don't forget to taunt first.
05/11/2014 01:30 AMPosted by Liminara
To prevent dps from getting randomly gibbed when doing it, don't forget to taunt first.

yep
05/11/2014 01:30 AMPosted by Liminara

This. The taunt forces your target to attack you regardless of you being immune to damage. You will still want to cancel Divine Shield after a couple seconds though.
I like to hearth out in the middle of a fight and that really lets me do that well.
Is Divine Shield what I would use if I was trying to skirt by mobs to speed up a dungeon run (ie - in Shado-Pan) if I accidentally aggro something?

It says above you lose aggro when using it but when cancelling it threat is restored, so that's why I'm asking, not sure about the timing of using it for this kind of situation.

Is this the only lose-aggro ability we have or is there something else I should consider using?

Thanks
If you accidentally agro something, it's too late.
08/07/2014 05:01 AMPosted by Nipal
Is Divine Shield what I would use if I was trying to skirt by mobs to speed up a dungeon run (ie - in Shado-Pan) if I accidentally aggro something?

It says above you lose aggro when using it but when cancelling it threat is restored, so that's why I'm asking, not sure about the timing of using it for this kind of situation.

Is this the only lose-aggro ability we have or is there something else I should consider using?

Thanks

Paladins don't have an aggro drop in the sense that a Rogue or Hunter have.

Divine Shield = total immunity to most forms of damage. The mobs are not completely stupid. They wont continue to attack someone they can't damage, so when you pop that, they will go to who ever is next on the aggro list for as long as Divine Shield is active. Soon as it drops, the mobs will turn back to you, presuming you are still at the top of the aggro list.

There is also Hand of Salvation. This will drop the target to the bottom of the threat table and stop additional threat from being generated while active. Again, not a 100% threat drop, but a way to get the mobs off of someone or yourself and forcing them to focus on another target, if that is what you want.

AFAIK there is only one option for total threat drop when it comes to Paladins, and that is getting the Salyin Battle Banner
Is that a trinket?
I wonder how hard it would be to find that rare drop :/
Invis pots work too but they're expensive. I don't think the banner works in instances. I know it doesn't work for sure in raids, but idk about dungeons.
Is there a way to add the taunt to that macro? I know I'm being lazy,but if there is an easy way to do something,why not?
08/08/2014 05:08 AMPosted by Orleans
Is there a way to add the taunt to that macro? I know I'm being lazy,but if there is an easy way to do something,why not?

You could. But, that would be, in a word, reckless.

There are times where you would like to use your Divine Shield and not taunt things, so having that tied into a macro would also require you to have another non taunt attached macro set up.

See so many young Paladins trying to tie in all their abilities together and push one button to win.

You're not a BM Hunter.