Is world of warcraft a open world game or no?

General Discussion
Hey I'm serious about this. I'm having a major debate with my mate if world of warcraft is a open world game or not?. I'm saying it is, he is saying it isn't. If you can describe if it is or isn't that would be great. Thank you.
Bumping this to top i will read in the morning going to bed
No. You totally can't go almost anywhere on Azeroth and do pretty much whatever you want.
Open world? yes, depending on the definition. Sand box? no.
05/13/2014 07:26 AMPosted by Thegunman
Hey I'm serious about this. I'm having a major debate with my mate if world of warcraft is a open world game or not?. I'm saying it is, he is saying it isn't. If you can describe if it is or isn't that would be great. Thank you.

Here's some advice: Define "Open World Game"

Without a definition you both agree on, you're just arguing semantics.
well its more open than most games. can do lots of stuff such as pve, pvp, RP for some, pet battles and also trade skill. only thing that can block you is that the game has 2 factions that cant talk to each other unless you use vent/mumble a 2nd account and such things.

wow is one of the very few games that is split on 2 factions and some people will never see how the other faction is cause they dont have an alt on the other faction. rift is almost like wow on faction but you can still talk to each other on say but cant send tells.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_world

Wiki definition.
05/13/2014 07:51 AMPosted by Búg
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_world

Wiki definition.

With that definition - i'd have to say yes, WoW is definitely an open world game. It fits quite nicely!
Would probably help to have clearer examples of what definitely is an 'open world game'.

WoW has a lot of instanced content which definitely is not. You also don't really have freedom to do whatever you want, you can't kill a random questgiver in your faction or rob the enemy's pvp vendor or make friends in both factions and use both of their quest hubs and flight paths.
Not sure what game you're playing, but WoW is an on-rails arcade shooter
05/13/2014 07:56 AMPosted by Slifox

Can never get past World 80-2 just ugh. I can never make that last jump!

wait, what?
I've been playing an RTS this entire time.
05/13/2014 08:00 AMPosted by Chamánica

wait, what?

Am I the only one playing soccer with an orc?
Wow is a closed world with the illusion of an open world.
It is an open world game with instanced elements.

You can travel from Winterspring to Booty Bay without seeing a loading screen. You can even sometimes find 'four corner' areas where a few steps completely changes what zone you're in.
05/13/2014 08:03 AMPosted by Killakiwi

This is exactly why we need definitions.

According to Wikipedia's definition - Open World and Sandbox are distinct. Open World games are often constrained in ways, but are not necessarily linear. In WoW you can go anywhere and you can start quest lines at any time.
Speaking of illusion of choice - OP or anyone - have you dabbled with the Stanley Parable?
Considering how heavily instanced other games have become, I'd say WoW is actually one of the more open world games out there.

Guild Wars basically put you into an instance the moment you left a city. Dunno how GW2 does it, never got into that one.

I also play World of Tanks - which is basically 15 vs 15 instances all the time. There's literally no open world at all - so much so that I don't even consider them an MMO, even though they label themselves as one.
05/13/2014 08:05 AMPosted by Mvura
05/13/2014 08:03 AMPosted by Killakiwi

This is exactly why we need definitions.

According to Wikipedia's definition - Open World and Sandbox are distinct. Open World games are often constrained in ways, but are not necessarily linear. In WoW you can go anywhere and you can start quest lines at any time.

Yes but there are instanced areas where your practically on a rail, As a Human you cant join the Horde or an Orc the Alliance. As a Dwarf you cant wake up one day and say "Iron forge must die" and go on a destructive rampage.

There are many things that make WoW open world but there are just as many that restrict how you play.
05/13/2014 08:00 AMPosted by Chamánica

wait, what?

Really? I thought it was a sidescrolling brawler.