To Fly or Not To Fly 5

General Discussion
1 2 3 26 Next
Most of what this boils down to is how content is consumed.

Blizz's current theory is go out into the world and do stuff.

This plus slow travel (read no flying) is terrifying.

Unless blizz steals some amazing and dynamic features from other games and creates some just astounding, absolutely dynamically awesome stuff that feels fresh....even 10-12 toons later, and doing it every day, will not be fun.

Constantly changing content with new things to do may be interesting. But the amount of things they have to add must be huge. Look at TI which has rare spawns on timers. Everyone just races to where the next one will spawn and camps it. Hopefully this is not what blizz is looking at as a model to reproduce for An Entire Expansion.

The monumental nature of that task is just horrifying to consider.

And yes, I want flying at a threshold point. Flying is an important feature of that game that is integral into my experience within WoW.

For those who don't want it, well, don't do it. I could care less about how you play and experience this game just so long as I can blissfully fly over you as I am doing whatever it is that I wish to do (which as it turns out is not walking around and going places in a painfully slow way).

Dailes taught us the same thing over and over and over and over is not fun. Walking around and doing dynamic content may just be enjoyable. That will be seen in the Beta. However, the track record colors my expectations.

And as I have oft stated before blizz's current "we don't know" customer service model is cutting both:

Flight Club and No Flight Club
05/16/2014 02:22 PMPosted by Bubblykiss

It's "If you bother to be out in the world, you have to approach the content in a particular way."

They don't care if we skip the content altogether.
As for the level capper in the 4th thread;

Jujubiju

05/16/2014 01:19 PMPosted by Mvura
It seems "permanent" (technically those are air quotes) because Alex Afrasiabi and crew believe you won't want flying in 6.1 because you'll be in love with the game on the ground.

Again: unless you are a dev, you don't know yourself. Quit trying to play "I know everything." Show some actual facts.

It has been neither confirmed nor denied at this point. If it had been, the arguing about this wouldn't exist.

All your post serves to do is rile people up even more.

warcraft.blizzplanet.com/blog/comments/pax-east-2014-warlords-of-draenor-blizzplanet-interviews-kris-zierhut-steve-burke
Towards the end, he states no flying in WoD.
[quote]As part of all this exploration gameplay, we are not gonna let you fly in Warlords of Draenor. Probably people has heard about that. I know one concern people has about not being able to fly is that “I have amazing epic flying mounts (from Mists of Pandaria), and none of them are allowed to be used in Draenor. They are no-flying zone only.”
We are removing the restrictions on them. Any useable flying mount will be useable on the ground and work out.

I read the "As part of all this exploration gameplay" and see that as being just as vague as it is. The exploration gameplay ends pretty quickly for me. I did not explore all of vanilla until just recently.
I'm sure it'll be fine. The content is being designed with ground mounts in mind. Unlike very other expansion they've done.

Traveling around timeless isle didn't feel like much of a chore on my ground mount, I'm sure draenor will be fine.
Courtesy of The Order of The Cloud Serpent

Through thunder and storm

we FLY together

Through sea and SKY

we FLY together

Through wind and tide

we FLY together

Nowhere does the order say waddle, slither, walk, run, hover

Serpents FLY with grace and beauty

and those words so eloquently spoken by the Order of The Cloud Serpents, well the game designers, developers, the company itself are the ones that put those very words into this game.
I want them to share some of these reasons why we will not miss flight. They have no issues sharing philosophy behind class changes which have actual bearing on game play but can't share even the slightest bit about why we will all of a sudden not miss flight.

I want to know the supposed awesome story driven reasoning why all my flying mounts will suddenly lose interest in soaring through the skies.
Anyone else feeling like this topic is a dead horse yet?
05/16/2014 02:22 PMPosted by Bubblykiss

The people that are out in the world doing stuff day after day are the very ones being punished the most by not having flight. Am I right? Or am I totally clueless?
05/16/2014 02:36 PMPosted by Darckshade
I want them to share some of these reasons why we will not miss flight. They have no issues sharing philosophy behind class changes which have actual bearing on game play but can't share even the slightest bit about why we will all of a sudden not miss flight.

I want to know the supposed awesome story driven reasoning why all my flying mounts will suddenly lose interest in soaring through the skies.

They sorta already have. If they put a wall between you and your quest goal, they want you to find a way around it, rather that helicopter in *yoink* and back out.
I wonder what the carrot is going to be that is going to keep people doing quests after level 100. Is this 'dynamic content' going to be how we gear similar to how dailies were in mop? Maybe instead of dailies we complete zone quests that unlock our garrisons and when it is fully unlocked the gear venders show up?

I thought Icecrown was pretty cool since it phased to show you pushing your way to ICC. However, since most people made 100 before getting too far into Icecrown, I doubt many people saw it because there was no point in questing past 100.

This has got to be some major carrot to make people care about questing after level cap without flying.
05/16/2014 02:38 PMPosted by Sacrolash
05/16/2014 02:33 PMPosted by Dreadsteel
I'm sure it'll be fine. The content is being designed with ground mounts in mind. Unlike very other expansion they've done.

Traveling around timeless isle didn't feel like much of a chore on my ground mount, I'm sure draenor will be fine.

For two whole years though? You can leave TI when you wish. Most of us did the land mount from classic well into TBC. Being able to fly felt really good. Imagine nothing but content like Timeless Isle for an entire expansion.

Can people honestly say they would not get tired of that? I hated those tigers on day one. We wont have a scuttlers shell to spare us from being dismounted every 10 feed in WoD though. :/

Well no one knows if it's going to be that long. Plus, they're going to have more content after the initial 6.0 draenor stuff. So it'll likely be more like 6 months.

Maybe I'm a little biased, but I quite enjoy TI style content. Although I think they're planning on a mix of that plus 5.1 stuff. Sounds like fun to me!
05/16/2014 02:39 PMPosted by Dreadsteel
05/16/2014 02:36 PMPosted by Darckshade

They sorta already have. If they put a wall between you and your quest goal, they want you to find a way around it, rather that helicopter in *yoink* and back out.

Oh you mean that ridiculous fortress response from Bashiok.

They want everyone but people who can stealth to find away around it you mean. Because a wall of mobs with one way in and one way out can only be handled one way by folks who can't stealth past all unnecessary mobs.
warcraft.blizzplanet.com/blog/comments/pax-east-2014-warlords-of-draenor-blizzplanet-interviews-kris-zierhut-steve-burke
Towards the end, he states no flying in WoD.
"As part of all this exploration gameplay, we are not gonna let you fly in Warlords of Draenor."

It was suggested in the last thread that he never actually said that, that it was fabricated by some troublemaker.
05/16/2014 02:42 PMPosted by Sacrolash
05/16/2014 02:39 PMPosted by Dreadsteel

Stealth classes will fix that wall even with the "making it more difficult for those classes to bypass trash mobs"
:D

Maybe so, but that's a class perk. Always has been. Besides, stealth end or not, they still have to go around and avoid stuff.
My opinion of the fly or not to fly is this. Blizzard has a hard time getting ppl to play certain content. First they gave u flying then let you upgrade to epic flying via gold. At 80 they gave 310% mount speed via achievment. Then they gave you the 310% speed for 5k gold i believe. I personally believe they hurt themselves. Their curving content with a price for gold. Allow us to fly in the expansion after completing say the new tier meta achievment. This way most ppl won't have it at least until the end of the expansion. Not allowing us to have a chance of flying anymore i think is a little crazy considering we've had flying for four expansions now. Don't just hand us the flying but make us work for it.

Also this is off topic but at 60 we ran aq20 for an upgrade to our abilities. I wish they'd bring that back in a mythic difficulty 5man Dungeon.
05/16/2014 02:39 PMPosted by Sparks
This has got to be some major carrot to make people care about questing after level cap without flying.

Special Quest
Today Only
Get it While It's Hot