Why be enhancement over elemental?

Shaman
No, this isn't a troll topic, this is an honest plea. A real question to those that really love the enhancement spec of the good ol' shammy (or that play both).

But i'm having a hard time justifying gearing up my enhancement spec right now, and thought i'd ask for some advice.

The "problem" (if you want to call it that) is that i really enjoy BOTH specs. This shaman isn't my main, nor is he my best geared alt, but i do enjoy him. All three specs really (i actually started in Mists LFR as resto).

So now i'm coming back to him with the intention of gearing him up to ~550 just for giggles (and putting some more time into his cape quest chain) and i have to decide on one spec that i enjoy over another that i also enjoy.

I came in kinda expecting to really go enhancement. I've only done some brief low-end raiding as enhance (see the mostly resto thing starting out above) and have done most of my solo'ing at 90 as elemental (since my resto gear could pull double duty).

But... honestly... ele just seems to be the better choice :-\

- The single target is competitive between both specs from what i can tell, so can't help there.
- Aoe is simpler on ele than enhance, and takes less ramp up (not that enhance is horridly complicated but still...). Just spam one button and boom, you're a Sith Lord :P
- Buffs are comparable.
- Both have offhealing capability (although ele doesn't have to use a part of its dps rotation to do so, like enhancement's maelstrom procs).
- Both bring nearly equal utility from what i can see.
- Elemental has the advantage of range.
- Elemental has the advantage of sharing gear with resto (to an extent), so theres that option later.

So... yea... both specs are comparable with elemental having the advantage of range. aoe simplicity and gear sharing with another spec.

I WANT to like enhancement equally... i really do. It is such an interesting spec (elements, wolves, fast dual wielding, etc.). But i also really enjoy elemental... and my weird brain won't let me get over the fact that i have a choice of two and one has clear advantages (from what i can see).

So... thoughts? Advice? Flame me for asking? I'll read anything at this point :P

Ty everyone. Cheers :)
enhancement offhealing is far superior in pve due to maelstrom weapon/healing storm, the single target is not competitive between the two specs, enhancement pulls ahead by a solid margin. I'd say gearing is the biggest incentive for being elemental, you only share loot with other casters for trinkets/accessories, and you can swap to resto more easily. However, if your raid doesn't have a hunter, enhancement is just as accessible in terms of gear.
I have always been ele/resto so I am not offering an opinion based on experience but rather based on numbers.

If you look at dps rankings enh beats ele at every gear level.

The other reason I have read is that enh seems to be rather forgiving on the rotation. There is only a small margin of difference between an optimal rotation and a loose rotation which means you only have to have a general idea of how to play enh to still be successful.
Sorry testertotem but you are way off. Enhancement rotation is much more complicated than elemental and if you want to be any good you can't be "loose". You have to react quickly and adaptively.

Here is my take on the ele/enhance decision. If you want to stay out of the mess and sit in the back mashing a couple of buttons go ele. If you want to be in the thick changing on the fly then go enhance. It's the complicated nature if enhance that makes it fun to play for me.
Go enhance. Numbers you will see on the pulls is, all by itself, worth it to play this spec over any other spec in the game!! Worrying about utility and crap is for Nancy's. Go big or go home my friend
from my views (only had ele up to 540ilvl and enh to this ilvl) enh seems to perform better in medium to large scale aoe and single target and ele on does the better DPS in the small aoe area. Also if needed i can drop 20kish DPS and do upwards of 60- 80k HPS with MS healing rain and chain heal as well as healing tide and stream totems for as long as needed.
I play both. Granted, I only LFR. Hoping to dip my foot into flex or a normal now I have my cape and a decent ilevel. I destroy as enhance, easily out-perform every other person in LFR in my current gear this week thanks for my good luck in drops and my cloak. However as ele I'm middle of the pack. I'm about 10 item levels behind on ele so it is probably a mixture of that and most likely that I am more unfamiliar with it. I'll have another play of ele tonight to see how I go. I still gotta purchase my ele cape, retune a few things (inc my enh set) for optimization. Right now though, enhance. Out of this world.
I don't consider myself a great dps by any stretch, but most raid encounters in game favor ranged over melee, especially in 10 man. And I think that's the biggest issue between enhance and elemental.
05/25/2014 09:40 AMPosted by Marada
I don't consider myself a great dps by any stretch, but most raid encounters in game favor ranged over melee, especially in 10 man. And I think that's the biggest issue between enhance and elemental.

It may "favor" ranged, but you can easily make it work with melee. Also, dark shaman - the fight that most people don't like ended up being my favorite fight in this expansion as enhancement. It's so fun constantly running around, dodging things, and trying to do full dps. It's almost like a pvp encounter in pve! It's super fun as enh while I found it kind of boring as ele.
Enhancement has far better single target. I believe it does almost 20% more single target damage then Elemental does. The only thing Elemental has going for it is the on demand AoE.

Enhancement Shamans can actually beat Elemental Shamans in AoE, but their AoE takes a while to ramp up.

In my opinion, Elemental is probably the better spec to play in a 10M environment. Simply because Elemental offers a !@#$ ton of buffs for your raid, and because of how 10M is tuned over 25M, the burst AoE that Elemental Shamans can do is A LOT better then Enhancement.

Enhancement also suffers greatly when it has to deal with any special fight mechanics. In a 10M you need to utilize almost every person to deal with some of these mechanics, where as in 25M you can designate others and Enhance can just sit there all day going ham.
enhancement is better than elemental in every aspect of raiding aside from 3-5 target cleave

unless you consider being ranged "better"
All I've heard about this topic is that Ele is generally in more demand.
RBGs, PvE, 3s and 5s must be where Elemental shines but ONLY if they're allowed to free cast, and they're commonly trained because they're dangerous if left alone.

Now enhance on the other hand. They excel in the thick of the fight. At low iLvls they're squishy, but believe me it's worth getting that gear! By the time you're sitting on a comfortable iLvl you should know your key binds and be familiar with your toolbox. I've gotta say that the shaman toolbox is awesome. So much to do! Often this is described as 'always having a button to press', or 'having too many buttons to press' which can be overwhelming but it comes super quickly.
With that said I have no prior experience with any type of shaman. But after being back and reading the forums and playing other classes/playing against others as Enhance, I can say with confidence that there is nothing like ascendance with fire ele and spirit wolves.

Ps, people rarely mention the fact that there's a bunch that enhance can do from a range.
I'm lvling up a Shaman atm (PvP) and have been playing Enh. It's fun but I really cant decide which spec to go. Sometimes when I play Enh in bg's I just feel like saying..."ughh I should just go ele..." what are all the Shaman's take on this topic? I know it's prob a common topic...

thanks
Elemental is leagues ahead of Enhancement in BG's and rated BGs. Honestly, you are just going to get targeted by every melee as an enhancement shaman and stunlocked to death. They will still target you as elemental, but at least you can hide in the pack and nuke from afar.

Enhancement has always been pretty easily locked down and bursted to death. It's very frustrating in larger scale pvp.
OP is looking for a pve perspective
I agree with this. all of it. well, most of it...okay the parts that say enhancement is better in terms of pve. yea, that....I like it.
http://www.noxxic.com/wow/dps-rankings/realistic#BiS
There is a fair amount of fail in this thread.

http://www.raidbots.com/dpsbot/Overall_DPS/10H/100/14/60/default/

There are the facts on dps. Stop going to noxic it sucks. Stop listening to anecdotal non factual dps stories. If you want a fairy tale go watch a Disney toon.

Go Elemental and be a sith lord
Play whatever spec playstyle you enjoy. They are both very different. If you play because "numbers rule everything" you probably won't have the best time playing.
06/03/2014 03:32 PMPosted by Thôth
There is a fair amount of fail in this thread.

http://www.raidbots.com/dpsbot/Overall_DPS/10H/100/14/60/default/

There are the facts on dps. Stop going to noxic it sucks. Stop listening to anecdotal non factual dps stories. If you want a fairy tale go watch a Disney toon.

Go Elemental and be a sith lord

that link, lol