Concerning Gnome Female Faces (WoD)

Moon Guard
I've recently done some research into the new models I've been obsessed about my gnome's new model for I felt like something was going to not work. And as my suspicions were valid through Wowhead's model viewer, which uses the new implemented WoD models. I've come to realize there an issue that likely the art team overlooked and could easily fix.

(IF YOU DO NOT WANT TO SEE ANY OF THE NEW MODELS, IF YOU'RE ONE OF THOSE KINDS OF PEOPLE WHO WOULD RATHER WAIT, NO NEED TO LOOK AT THE FOLLOWING LINKS)

I've done side by side comparisons and realized that there are concerns that I would like more people to try and help point out and hope to fix before the Alpha leaves Beta.

http://i.imgur.com/HTodJtS.png

I've put gnome female faces side by side and noticed there are too many issues to address for the one face model for all races.

The details of the face do not match well, or at all with the originals. Blizzard wanted to have us be able to at least keep the originality of the faces and be able to identify them once I saw them. However, instead I got this.

The gnome's permanent smile and bulgy eyes are to start. She's borderline cross eyed and far too large for the iris and pupil. Each face has incredibly huge eyes that don't match outside of color. And each has the same lip style, size, and color. The demeanor do not match at all. Where the Face I use for Kinria is portrayed as the second gnome in Blue robes. That look looks more psychotic, not calm or gentle that the original face shows.

In this forum on the General Page: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/12505892331?page=1

Someone addresses this problem and also does her own touch up:

http://s841.photobucket.com/user/moth_10/media/Alpha%20WoD%20Models/Fem-Gnome-Two-After.jpg.html

http://i841.photobucket.com/albums/zz335/moth_10/Marilly-800-by-600.jpg

As you can see, it changes up the issues I've addressed mostly. And a far better looking version of the original face, provided with the gnome in blue from the side by sides. I can only say that this issue could get some people turned away from their own gnomes. Especially some who are really attached to their character.

I can only say that this is a problem and something people should be aware of with the new models. We want to avoid the Worgen and Pandaren female face issues. We shouldn't have identical faces with only very, very minor changes to them.

What are your opinions? What do you think?
I agree with you. None of the faces look any different from one another aside from a few incredibly subtle changes. It's unfortunate that, while lower quality, the originals actually have more variation in expressions.

I'm also really unimpressed with what they've done with the hair in some of these newer models.
I will note the hairs are broken in the model viewer, so some of them have incomplete textures to the hairstyles. I will note though one thing.

Kinria's current hairstyle, the giant ponytail is glued to her back still.
Still in alpha. Subject to change or to be expanded on. *nod* I've already decided I'll be upset if I am disappointed with the models once they go life. Anytime before then and I'll know it's a constant work in progress.
05/30/2014 02:10 AMPosted by Marionos
Still in alpha. Subject to change or to be expanded on. *nod* I've already decided I'll be upset if I am disappointed with the models once they go life. Anytime before then and I'll know it's a constant work in progress.

This.
It's not just female gnomes, I'm afraid. Sameface syndrome seems like it's going to be an issue for most of the updated models. It spans so far that I'm actually concerned that I'm going to log on and Yaegar here will suddenly have a jaw and eyes. There was a player who noted that her female undead would suddenly have a nose and lips.

People have pointed out major inconsistencies with the faces, and the fact that most of the races have a problem where almost every face looks the same, due to the way the geometry works ( and Blizzard's reluctance to make different faces have different geometry ). Then there's problems with baseline expressions being identical between all of the faces ( Liked that face because it was happy, angry, confused, sad, etc? Too bad, I guess ). Just recently we had an issue where the developers apparently didn't notice that night elves have fangs. Often the complaints are met with disdain.

The fact that it's still alpha is the reason why people need to provide feedback. You can't just sit back silent and then hope everything changes. You need to speak up and make your voice heard, otherwise Blizzard will not have any reason to iterate upon their work to meet player expectations. You'll end up with what is commonly perceived as unfinished work actually being the final product.

I made this thread awhile back.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/11422312440

Then there's the aforementioned female undead discussion.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/12943774317
Whether they're gonna change or not, being in Alpha and all, I still think the new updated models for my Gnome chars look frickin' adorable (Mostly Ninny). >.> http://tinyurl.com/mygnomecharswod

But yeah, you're right. It is a problem, but since it's in the early phases of development, and a lot of people seem to be noticing this and speaking up, it will hopefully be tweaked and have some differences/changes.
*rant incoming, pay no attention*

How is my serious gnome going to be taken seriously with all these goofy smiles and bulging eyes? As a gnome player, I already have enough trouble with other players' assumptions and perceptions in more dramatic roleplay. Must we always be viewed as happy-go-lucky, silly cute girls ready to be punted away and dismissed at a moment's notice? *holds up protest sign*

*end rant*

While the gnome faces look very cute, they just don't work for my current character, or any of my other gnomes either. I do hope they tweak them further to allow more variety amongst the faces.
@Fina

I understand your concerns very much. However... trust me on this... No matter how "serious" or "cute" or "goofy" a Gnome looks for their character model it will *not* change how some people act IC or OOC towards them.

All that matters is that they are a "Gnome." That's all they need to be continued to be treated poorly/be disregarded by those who did so before.

So if the faces of the models remain all cute, then just use your imagination, MRP, art, etc to portray them differently.
05/30/2014 10:11 AMPosted by Ninwyn
All that matters is that they are a "Gnome." That's all they need to be continued to be treated poorly/be disregarded by those who did so before.
Yeah... No. Sure, you've got the occasional ridiculous racist that does that, but the majority of people do look at how you chose your character's (physical) traits upon creation.

Personally, I remember that blizzard informed us that they would include a setting for 'low end computers' to actually change the models 'back' to the 'old' ones (what we have currently). I'm hoping it's a simple 'character models' toggle button, because so far, I would be happy to run everything on ultra, and then put these models 'down' a notch.

05/30/2014 07:35 AMPosted by Yaegar
It's not just female gnomes, I'm afraid. Sameface syndrome seems like it's going to be an issue for most of the updated models
The culprit identified.

With every passing Artcraft, I fear for the basic human male.
@ Yaegar, they did in fact remember that night elves have fangs. They responded very quickly that their most recent build includes the fangs, but the texture they had ready to showcase was a bit older and didn't have them implemented yet.
To be fair Blizzard is keeping it more same faceish to give a larger array of emotions and ability to show different actions. Smiling, laughing, crying, rage; all easier for Blizzard when the faces are generally similar. Lazy? Possibly. Can they do more? Probably. Have they undoubtedly bit off a lot and have to make due? I'd wager so.
Sameface syndrome is a huge concern for me, and I don't expect anything to be done. What really bothers me is that occasionally they don't even keep the eye color the same from face to face.
First... Kinny <3

Second, I agree with everything you said.

The new faces are honestly awful. Also, the triple pigtail hairstyle doesn't look as good.

05/30/2014 02:10 AMPosted by Marionos
Still in alpha. Subject to change or to be expanded on.

It's still good to give feedback before they go "oh nobody gave us critique? The new models must be perfect" and don't modify them at all before launch.
By all means. I have no issues with the people who like the faces as they are. And while it is in Alpha. It's the best time to voice concerns to get these changes to go through. It also will give the art directors to consider what they are doing with the same face rule.

To each person their own, but I dislike Kinria's new face. I disliked that she looked nothing like I hoped. I had to stare and try to figure out who she was. If they changed the eyes, lifting the iris up for the eyes and give me a neutral stance for the lips. I'd be happy.
I personally don't mind it, as long as expressive emotes actually change expression, such as with /smile actually giving a brief smile, /happy giving a persistent smile, /frown giving a brief frown, etc. I know it's not a feature mentioned by them, but it's what I want for my characters.

As for the "sameface" syndrome, I understand your frustration, especially considering that gnomes, as they are, have the greatest noticeable diversity in appearances, partially due to their relatively larger and thus more easily seen faces. Personally, to me, most female humans look alike unless I zoom into a first person perspective, same with night elves, blood elves, and Draenei respectively.
I have to agree. I'm really bummed out that most of the new models seem to suffer from sameface syndrome. While I understand why they're doing it (because it's a heck of a lot easier having more expressive faces if they're literally all the same) it doesn't help the disappointment. Everyone's going to end up just like the female Pandaren faces at this rate.
The eyes look odd, but it might be something that looks better in motion.
Tbh, I like my gnome's bored/content look.
05/30/2014 12:05 PMPosted by Kettlesworth
@ Yaegar, they did in fact remember that night elves have fangs. They responded very quickly that their most recent build includes the fangs, but the texture they had ready to showcase was a bit older and didn't have them implemented yet.

They opted to showcase a model without fangs. Then there were a bazillion responses pointing out that they were missing. The next day, they suddenly had fangs. Considering the geometry is consistent and minimal, it's not surprising that they fixed the issue immediately after being made aware of it.

I'm hard-pressed to believe such a small thing took them a patch cycle to complete, especially since the model previewed had rigged poses. In the end, it implies to me just how little the art-team is paying attention to their own reference material.