In-Game Purchase for Profession Boost

General Discussion
Prev 1 5 6 7 Next
06/04/2014 11:50 AMPosted by Bashiok
In Warlords, Herbalism and Mining will be changing to a fishing-like structure, where skill ups can be obtained from any nodes, and only the result of what you get is based on skill level. Materials to level up crafting can be obtained wholly within the newest content (Warlords) with catch up recipes like Cooking saw in Mists, and potentially additional paths to allow players to avoid having to go back to old content, if they wish.

Thanks for the reply Bashiok. I'm glad to hear that catch-ups for professions will be provided in WoD, that is good news and prevents adding in another pay feature to the game. This is something that I eagerly wait for.

I agree that I hope something gets decided with leatherworking/skinning because skinning has always been (to me) the two hardest professions.
Professions, for the most part, are boring as hell, and that's all on the designers.

Instead of focusing on making them as accessible as possible, why not spend design time into making them fun? I thought video games were about fun. While it may not be fun to go back and level up the professions, that is pretty irrelevant when the professions themselves don't offer much in terms of fun.
Materials to level up crafting can be obtained wholly within the newest content (Warlords) with catch up recipes like Cooking saw in Mists, and potentially additional paths to allow players to avoid having to go back to old content, if they wish.

OH THANK GOD

I was just about to level my alchemy from scratch in prep for WoD but now iv seen this I am freeeeeeeeeeee!
06/03/2014 02:10 PMPosted by Sephimus
Now that the door is open to pay-to-win (which is arguable to some people) with the ability to buy 90s for $60 USD, I was wondering if other options like, paying real money to get just professions leveled will ever be offered, or if Blizzard has officially stated that the 90 boost is as far as they'll take the pay-to-win route.

Why not just post, "I do not like the paid 90 boost and wonder if you'll be doing the same with professions?" instead of this passive-aggressive garbage.

Man... these threads are getting soooo very old. Oh well, another player on my ignore list.
With the 90 boosts we want to ensure getting professions to a point where they're usable by your character supports where you want to be in the game, and doesn't require things like going back to low level zones to farm materials for crafting. Of course if your character is above level 60 when you boost you get the bonus of [url="https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/level-90-character-boost"]fully leveled primary professions[/url]. If you aren't 60 when you boost, we want to ensure professions are fairly painless to get up to a level where they're useful for your newly boosted 90 (or even if you just never bothered leveling them before). In Warlords, Herbalism and Mining will be changing to a fishing-like structure, where skill ups can be obtained from any nodes, and only the result of what you get is based on skill level. Materials to level up crafting can be obtained wholly within the newest content (Warlords) with catch up recipes like Cooking saw in Mists, and potentially additional paths to allow players to avoid having to go back to old content, if they wish.

From the [url="http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/13423478#professions"]Warlords of Draenor Alpha patch notes[/url]:

[quote]
  • Herbalists can now harvest herbs throughout the game world without hard skill requirements. The yield an Herbalist will be able to harvest from each node is now determined by skill level.
  • Miners can now harvest mineral nodes in outdoor areas of the game world without hard skill requirements. The yield a Miner will be able to harvest from each node is now determined by skill level.

• Sigh, now bots have it even easier, I didn't see these changes but whatever.
    With the 90 boosts we want to ensure getting professions to a point where they're usable by your character supports where you want to be in the game, and doesn't require things like going back to low level zones to farm materials for crafting. Of course if your character is above level 60 when you boost you get the bonus of [url="https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/level-90-character-boost"]fully leveled primary professions[/url]. If you aren't 60 when you boost, we want to ensure professions are fairly painless to get up to a level where they're useful for your newly boosted 90 (or even if you just never bothered leveling them before). In Warlords, Herbalism and Mining will be changing to a fishing-like structure, where skill ups can be obtained from any nodes, and only the result of what you get is based on skill level. Materials to level up crafting can be obtained wholly within the newest content (Warlords) with catch up recipes like Cooking saw in Mists, and potentially additional paths to allow players to avoid having to go back to old content, if they wish.

From the [url="http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/13423478#professions"]Warlords of Draenor Alpha patch notes[/url]:

[quote]
  • Herbalists can now harvest herbs throughout the game world without hard skill requirements. The yield an Herbalist will be able to harvest from each node is now determined by skill level.
  • Miners can now harvest mineral nodes in outdoor areas of the game world without hard skill requirements. The yield a Miner will be able to harvest from each node is now determined by skill level.

• I think this idea is great but I need some clarity. I understand yield being determined by your level but is the level gains also affected? What I mean is, under the old fishing model, you gained a level per fish caught if you were fishing within your level range. In the "new" model, you gain a level every X fish caught (were X seems to be a little random IMO). I don't like the leveling model for fishing but love the idea of fishing from anywhere. If you change the leveling model for the specified gathering professions to that of the fishing model I will not likely want to do them ever again. I'd rather spend a few hours farming low level herbs and gaining a level per herb, than several more hours (speculating here) gaining a level every X herbs.
    06/04/2014 12:41 PMPosted by Bashiok
    06/04/2014 12:22 PMPosted by Daliuxing
    You'd think it would be more abusive to have to clear vastly lower level areas for skins, right?

Leatherworking could use some serious love too... :P

The way skinning loot tables work makes it a very different situation than the other gathering professions, and so it's a technical limitation that keeps us from being able to easily base the result off of skill level. I know it is a desire to resolve that limitation, but it of course requires engineering work, and I'm not sure when that's expected to be completed. It could be something fairly complex, I'm not sure. I'll follow up.

Why not just let skinners skin anything yet get the same drops as they are today up to Mists of Pandaria content?

Or just do as you are going to with herbalism and mining for Warlords: scraps versions for every leather.
    You keep getting scraps of a type of leather until you reach the normal skinning level.

Also, fishing nets would be great, or fishing boats.
    Since WoD is going to be savage and the like, with the Iron Horde tribes filling the map from one end to the other (or other "savage" races), why not allow skinners to "poach" skins that those savage races already have out to dry/tan? (similar to the "nodes" used at the darkmoon fair for the skinning profession quest).
    Instead of being for a quest, those savage pelts could give a skill up point per "node" (tanning bed? idk). There could be several in any savage race camp to allow for heavy competition, or have a quick respawn time, or just be a node all skinners can tap at the same time and then be on a personal respawn timer.

Then those skins can be used as a catch up mechanic for leatherworkers similar to how Ghost Iron was for blacksmiths.
    /shrug Just an idea and might be more feasible than trying to re-engineer the skinning loot system to support a catch up mechanic.

Edit: On the note about fishing. WTB engineers being able to make fishing nets for faster catching of fish and more speedy skill ups. Even to this day, tribes that may not use much, or any, high tech tools in the real world, use hand tossed fishing nets to increase their catch productivity. Light, even a stick of dynamite would be better than one cast at a time if tossed into a pool.
    How about making a magic skinning knife that will give you skins based on your skill level. It could be an Engineer crafted item (Requires Skinning).
    I have four 90s and a free 90 due to preorder- can I use it on one of my 90s for prof?
    @ Keyalios I doubt it. I think the boost is strictly for characters that are not max level.
    06/03/2014 02:58 PMPosted by Rämmstein
    It won't be so bad once the level cap is 100 but buying a level capped character is dumb.
    Especially for $60 that's way too much I'd rather lvl than pay $60 for instant 90 lol.
    Just following up: Skinning will be using a similar system as Mining and Herbalism, allowing someone to level up their profession purely through high level content by picking, mining, or skinning high level nodes and creatures, regardless of their professions's skill level, gain skill-ups from doing so, and obtain materials usable for crafting.
    06/10/2014 12:03 PMPosted by Bashiok
    Just following up: Skinning will be using a similar system as Mining and Herbalism, allowing someone to level up their profession purely through high level content by picking, mining, or skinning high level nodes and creatures, regardless of their professions's skill level, gain skill-ups from doing so, and obtain materials usable for crafting.

Thank god.
    I hope the crafting won't require ridiculous amounts of current mats to gain skill-ups like it did in MoP (blacksmithing specifically). Some of those ghost iron catch-up recipes required so much material , that it was actually far less convenient than tooling around the old zones looking for old mats, which rather defeated the purpose of having the new system in the first place.
    Bashiok, if you are already level 90 and want different professions, can you purchase a level boost then use it on your already 90 just to get 600 level professions?
    06/10/2014 07:34 PMPosted by Shootermgavn
    Bashiok, if you are already level 90 and want different professions, can you purchase a level boost then use it on your already 90 just to get 600 level professions?

You can't use a 90 boost on a character that's already 90. :P That was stated somewhere in the boost tutorial, I think. The character have to be below 90.