Question about 14800 conquest cap.

Arenas
06/02/2014 05:03 AMPosted by Ayani
The formula is (weeks in the season - 1) * 1000 + 1800 (arena cap) - conquest earned this season

So to use your example, your cap is 14800 now because it's the 14th week of the season and you haven't earned any conquest yet.

Let's say you win 20 games (3600 conquest) before the weekly reset. Your cap on Tuesday is going to be

14 * 1000 + 1800 - 3600 = 12200

Ayani is mostly correct. One tiny correction to the order things are calculated, for those who might be interested in the math:

((Weeks in the season - 1) * 1000) - Conquest earned this season = catch up cap
Catch up cap + Arena/RBG cap (based on rating) = total amount of Conquest you can earn this week

Also: the catch up cap doesn't "reset" if you don't work through it all in one week. Feel free to chip away at it when you have time :)
06/02/2014 03:04 PMPosted by Lore
Also: the catch up cap doesn't "reset" if you don't work through it all in one week. Feel free to chip away at it when you have time :)

Real quick before you run off lore, the debate was whether you continue gaining the catch up cap if you "chip into it" as you put it :P.

I don't think anyone argued you actually lose the cap, just that you won't gain any points from the reset. So if you fully capped at 0 rating you'd have a free 2200 for the next week, but if you still have catch up points, you won't gain anything from the 2200 reset.
On my Rogue I actually had the issue where I earned ~5k points of a 12k cap, and the next week my cap was at 1800. It was pretty dumb.

Randomly got like 5 pieces from celestials which made up for it, but still, it does happen.
06/02/2014 03:16 PMPosted by Hexenmaster
On my Rogue I actually had the issue where I earned ~5k points of a 12k cap, and the next week my cap was at 1800. It was pretty dumb.

Randomly got like 5 pieces from celestials which made up for it, but still, it does happen.

Yeah I've had different things happen differently on different chars. Different reasons I guess

Different.
06/02/2014 03:10 PMPosted by Fröstitute
Real quick before you run off lore, the debate was whether you continue gaining the catch up cap if you "chip into it" as you put it :P.

Short answer: yes.

Long answer: The catch-up cap is re-calculated from scratch on a weekly basis. It's not that you're earning an extra 1000 points of catch-up cap every week, it's that you're being awarded an amount based on how many weeks the season has been running. It's a minor difference in approach but an important one, as it means there isn't anything to "lose" (or "not gain") to begin with.

To put it another way: every week, you will have 1000 Conquest points for every week (except the first) added to your cap, minus the total number of Conquest points you've earned for the season. If it's week 14 and you've earned 3000 Conquest points already this season, you'll have 10,000 added to your weekly cap. That's done regardless of when you earned those 3000 points.

Hope that helps clarify :)
BLUF: If you are going to try to maximize conquest earned from the current week going forward, earn all of your catch-up conquest in a single week.

Keep in mind that you earn catch-up conquest prior to current week's conquest, and you only carry up to 1000 of the current week's going forward.

For example (assuming rating doesn't improve week-to-week and normal weekly cap remains at 2200):

Week 5, with 0 previous conquest earned:
MAX(0, 4 * 1000 - 0) + 2200 = 6200 current week cap

MAX(a,b) = a if a > b; otherwise b -- MAX(0, b) prevents the catch-up cap value (b) from reducing the current week's cap if it is negative as the term would evaluate to 0

Assuming during Week 5, a player then earns 2200 conquest (0 above their normal cap).

Week 6, with 2200 conquest earned:
MAX(0, 5 * 1000 - 2200) + 2200 = 5000

So even though they didn't earn any conquest above their normal cap, they still lost 2200 catch up valor. If that continues for another week:

Week 7, with 4400 conquest earned:
MAX(0, 6 * 1000 - 4400) + 2200 = 3800

So after two weeks, they still haven't earned any conquest above the normal cap, but they are down to 1600 catch-up conquest.

Week 8, with 6600 conquest earned:
MAX(0, 7 * 1000 - 6600) + 2200 = 2600

Week 9, with 8800 conquest earned:
MAX(0, 8 * 1000 - 8800) + 2200 = 2200

Long story short: If you are going to earn any conquest during the current week, it is best to make sure you earn all of your catch-up conquest (whether that is practical or not is another question, but if you are trying to maximize your conquest earnings...).
06/02/2014 03:30 PMPosted by Lore
06/02/2014 03:10 PMPosted by Fröstitute

Long answer: The catch-up cap is re-calculated from scratch on a weekly basis. It's not that you're earning an extra 1000 points of catch-up cap every week, it's that you're being awarded an amount based on how many weeks the season has been running. It's a minor difference in approach but an important one, as it means there isn't anything to "lose" (or "not gain") to begin with.

To put it another way: every week, you will have 1000 Conquest points for every week (except the first) added to your cap, minus the total number of Conquest points you've earned for the season. If it's week 14 and you've earned 3000 Conquest points already this season, you'll have 10,000 added to your weekly cap. That's done regardless of when you earned those 3000 points.

Can you explain why don't we have a similar system for Valor Points?
@ silveryblade

I think it is because according to blizzard valor points are a secondary way to get pve gear and is only used to get gear in that you can't seem to get drop in raids. While conquest points are the only way to get high end pvp gear.

I happen to agree with you though and that they should implement this for pve as well

Not all pve players raid and they still want purple text
Why is it that catch is only available to those that didn't play at all?

I had to take a 3 month break for health reasons. I have a 1800\2200 cap on all my toons. No bonus cap for the 11 weeks I could not play.

Doesn't seem very fair.
06/03/2014 01:34 AMPosted by Criming
Why is it that catch is only available to those that didn't play at all?

I had to take a 3 month break for health reasons. I have a 1800\2200 cap on all my toons. No bonus cap for the 11 weeks I could not play.

Doesn't seem very fair.

Because those toons are already ahead of what a regular conquest catch up would be.
06/02/2014 08:34 PMPosted by Silveryblade
06/02/2014 03:30 PMPosted by Lore

They'd probably implement a similar system for valor in 6.0 were it not for the fact that valor is being marginalized (or even removed? I keep hearing different things) in WoD. ie it won't be necessary because Valor won't be nearly as important for PvE as conquest is for PvP.
06/02/2014 04:00 PMPosted by Kirsia
Long story short: If you are going to earn any conquest during the current week, it is best to make sure you earn all of your catch-up conquest (whether that is practical or not is another question, but if you are trying to maximize your conquest earnings...).

I ended last week, first week of level 90 and arena with 14280/15200 which was 14000/14800 arena and 14280/15200 RBG

This week I am back to normal with 0/1800 arena 0/2200 RBG

In a way I lost 920 points, for not fully capping out last week. All in all not bad 535 gear item level for a 6 day old level 90. But last night that last 920 point might have been over 9000, it was not practical to be able to finish.
06/02/2014 08:34 PMPosted by Silveryblade

Because that would trivialize the three weeks we're forced to spend on "A test of valor" as well as their nerf to SoO, among other things.

PVP is content that delivers itself independent of the gear. PVErs have to be forced to contend with the same raid tier for 6+ months at a time, so they are purposefully set far more inflexible limits to keep them from getting bored and leaving. "If you cap valor every week on every toon for three months, you can have a set of +16 gear!", for example.

It's poor game design, which is probably why they're removing it come WoD. Of course, they need to balance it out by making drop rates less ridiculous, which they won't, because they need a carrot on a stick to keep players grinding the same raids.
All I know is if I just play one BG on a toon for a week and win, I lose ALL of the remaining 1800 points off my cap for that week if I don't do another BG that week. Yet if I don't do a single BG on an alt that week, I get to keep the 1000 point cap catchup. Seems silly, like unintentionally punishing those that are playing alts, but working perfectly for those that want to not play all month and get all their catchup points in a couple of days of grinding.

I know I worded that in a very confusing way. Long story short, if you don't plan to reach your conquest cap for a week, its better to play no games at all that week. Seems silly.
The rewards for valor remain relatively unchanged throughout an expansion, with the exception of new patches and the gear that comes with them.

what sense would stockpiling them have?
06/05/2014 07:59 AMPosted by Perditionn
The rewards for valor remain relatively unchanged throughout an expansion, with the exception of new patches and the gear that comes with them.

what sense would stockpiling them have?

Has nothing to do with stockpiling them. It has to do with having a weekly cap and being away from the game.
My cap did not carry over; I even sent a ticket and they responded that it should not carry over; working as intended
the question i think everyone should be asking is, "why is it so fare into the season and we have to grind out 14-16k with no gear?" but the biggest issue i think we should bring up is the fact we are so fare into the season and still have to wait a few more weeks after capping 16k to get fully geared to EVEN COMPETE.

I thought the whole idea of this system was to allow people to compete in arena with out the unfair advantage of gear?
3 weeks are you mad it was 6 weeks at launch your 3 weeks is a nerf