Research about MMO players & avatars

General Discussion
Prev 1 3 4 5 Next
Going to be some scary answers in there for sure, disturbing ones.

but either way... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Bsbw1qCPGE

:)
I do so love a good survey. =)

Good luck Shauxna!
Done! That was kind of entertaining actually.
As I expressed in my comments, being an RPer seems to muddy these questions. What strong agreement with a statement for a PvEer will not mean the same thing for an RPer. :/
After answering this survey, all I can think is.... tricksey hobbitses and precious.
it was interesting. however it did resemble those horrible job application questionnaires they give you at the end of the application.
"Some people can't be trusted"
"You generally don't trust people"
"Do you consider yourself a trustworthy person"

FFS its a grocery store application, not the Sheriff's academy.

But still, i enjoyed it more because there was nothing on the line, and because it was about video games.
Fun survey :)

Of course, we all know that our toons exist independently of us, doing - who knows what? - when we log off.

Another writer and RPer here, and yes, a few of my characters ended up being set in WoW and other games instead of in traditional fiction - it seemed like a neat experiment to land a character in someone else's co-operative fictional world. To be honest, I do not know if we make it all up, or if there are characters out there we simply resonate with and latch onto who come from - who knows? Was Dracula merely a personification of Bram Stoker? Research his family, it will add fuel to the flame.

Old enough at this point to know that - I don't know. I suspect the research will prove pretty interesting. Will we be able to see your conclusions when it's done?
I am a researcher and professor

Stopped reading here. There are far more accurate resources to pick than the forums. Anyone with even a crappy education should know this.
06/07/2014 11:50 AMPosted by Twistedfayte
Fun survey :)

Of course, we all know that our toons exist independently of us, doing - who knows what? - when we log off.

Another writer and RPer here, and yes, a few of my characters ended up being set in WoW and other games instead of in traditional fiction - it seemed like a neat experiment to land a character in someone else's co-operative fictional world. To be honest, I do not know if we make it all up, or if there are characters out there we simply resonate with and latch onto who come from - who knows? Was Dracula merely a personification of Bram Stoker? Research his family, it will add fuel to the flame.

Old enough at this point to know that - I don't know. I suspect the research will prove pretty interesting. Will we be able to see your conclusions when it's done?

There is an optional area at the end that includes giving an email address to be emailed the results if you so choose.
This was an interesting survey, particularly because I think of some characters more as tools for getting achievements and raiding (such as Owlbread over there, who I picked) and others are more fleshed-out and have a bit of a personality. Some of the questions were pretty creepy, and they really did make you think... Would be interesting to see the differences in the responses from people on RP servers vs. PvE and PvP servers.
@Twistedfayte: indeed, you can opt-in to receive the final report of the study via email. If you missed that portion, you can email me at j.banks@utoronto.ca and I'll be glad to add you to the list. Please keep in mind that it will be many months before data collection, analysis, and writing are complete ... probably September-ish.
Just finished the survey.
After looking at the research questions, I'm sure Snofox used to identify closely with her Avatar, until she lost MVP privileges.
Interesting survey, good luck with the research.
Survey done
It was interesting. :-) Good luck with your research.

I always wonder with studies like this how many people answer honestly versus saying what they think they should say.
06/07/2014 11:52 AMPosted by Sardian
I am a researcher and professor

Stopped reading here. There are far more accurate resources to pick than the forums. Anyone with even a crappy education should know this.

A good researcher would likely be using several sources to find subjects, this being one of them. This is a self-selected group to be sure, but that doesn't negate forum users as valuable to the survey.
06/06/2014 07:24 AMPosted by Nefram
Done, the questions felt very manipulative.

Parts of it read like the MMPI checking to see how schizo you are and if you'e lost the line between your self and your avatar. If answered literally it would seem you have lost the ability to distinguish between reality and fantasy, but if answered figuratively, it is the whole point of fantasy. Also gets confusing considering that I have like a couple of dozen toons. This is an old one I use as my achievement horse since I raided on it in Wrath and cat, but now mostly just use it on the forums so I can keep track of what forums I've posted in.
What exactly is your research question? I presume it has something to do with how game environments create a particular kind of subjectivity? In any case, I would want to know more about this particular project, its methods and methodology, before completing the survey (which, as a fellow academic, I would be glad to do if I could have a bit more information). How players "think and feel" about their avatars strikes me as a bit too broad for your level of education and research (I'm assuming there is more to it, so please feel free to elaborate).

ETA: Just glanced at your dissertation. Are you still doing Latourian analysis?
Done, and I had so much trouble keeping my sense of humour locked in a box so I could fairly answer in all seriousness.