HotS has shown me what WoW PVP is missing....

General Discussion
Before I go any further:

I only Arena.

I wanted to put that out there so there is no confusion.

Since playing a lot of the alpha of HotS, I have found that it is so much more "engaging" as a PVP player.

I log in, click Play and then Versus and BOOM, I'm PVPing.

- I don't have to gear up (or gear up MULTIPLE toons)
- I don't have to wait HOURS to form a good group
- Heck, I don't even have to wait long to form any group...it's nearly instant....and this is ALPHA!
- I can choose my talents DURING the game, based on the enemy team and the map we are playing
(obviously this can't happen in wow during fights, but it's a cool dynamic)

It's basically Starcraft/Diablo, mixed with WoW Battleground PVP and a touch of WoW Arena.
I'm in love with it. I can seriously get my PVP fix in a jiffy!

Though, what really saddens me is what that means for WoW, especially WoW PVP once HotS goes live.

Having to gear a character...let alone MORE than one character is just WAY TOO time consuming, it's not fun, and by the time you do get enough gear to "compete", a lot of people with BETTER gear than you will often win, or the season is nearly over (even with catchup). That isn't true for everyone who plays the game, as skill definitely determines a good amount of rank, but for the average player, it's just not going to happen.

I love WoW, I really do.
But I absolutely HATE the PVP gear grind and I hate being at a arguably "MASSIVE" disadvantage until you are fully geared, or at least similarly geared as your opponent!

It drives me UP the wall; especially if I want to play a different character.
I have to re-grind EACH character and sit through the agony of being destroyed in Arena until I get AT LEAST honor gear, but STILL get destroyed even with it or games last forever because you are just good enough that they can't kill you, but you don't do enough damage to kill them either.

By the time I'm geared, I don't even want to play that toon anymore.

Rumors around say that WOD might fix some of these issues, but who knows...
I really hope they, do because I want to continue to play WoW.

::

I understand that HotS is different than WoW, but there are certain fundamentals that HotS takes away from WoW and is making it a better game for "PVP".

Simply put: It's more rewarding.

I tell you, HotS is pretty friggin amazing!
If you haven't played it, go watch some streams and get on that Beta! It is AWESOME!
Catch me playing Aba all day!
06/12/2014 07:32 AMPosted by Whatevas
what really saddens me is what that means for WoW, especially WoW PVP once HotS goes live

I'm also finding HotS to be a lot of fun, but it definitely won't replace WoW's PvP for me.

To me, there's nothing like 40 vs. 40. I love the big maps where there are a ton of players running around, some aimlessly, some purposefully, but all chaotically.

Five on five just doesn't have the same appeal to me, and I'm guessing not for a lot of other more casual PvPers, either.

06/12/2014 07:32 AMPosted by Whatevas
I absolutely HATE the PVP gear grind and I hate being at a arguably "MASSIVE" disadvantage until you are fully geared, or at least similarly geared as your opponent!

Depending on when you start the process of gearing up, yeah, the gear discrepancy is pretty brutal.

Part of me would like to see equal gearing across the board when entering a battleground or arena, but then what would be the point of gearing up?
06/12/2014 10:32 AMPosted by Boogzz
what is hots

Heroes of the Storm

http://www.heroesofthestorm.com
Not all players are into PvP. But I am glad you have found a game you enjoy.
Am I the only one who sees people use HotS and automatically translates that to Heart of the Swarm?
HotS > Arena

HotS has Pajamathur.
06/12/2014 10:27 AMPosted by Ack
Part of me would like to see equal gearing across the board when entering a battleground or arena, but then what would be the point of gearing up?

The gearing up doesn't so much as bother me as how long and brutal it takes to do so.

And if you want to gear other toons? Forgetaboutit!

An easy fix would be:
Once you obtain 27k conquest (between ALL character) you can unlock all gear via honor.
That way, if you want to swap out a toon, you still have to grind, but at least it's not a completely terrible grind.

Or, have an arena tournament like server...I don't know if you ever played a tourny realm, but it was pretty awesome!

06/12/2014 11:35 AMPosted by Bomdanil
Am I the only one who sees people use HotS and automatically translates that to Heart of the Swarm?

I do it too...or perhaps: "Heroes of the Swarm"?

06/12/2014 11:38 AMPosted by Acteon
HotS has Pajamathur.

I have a jammie jam Aba. Love it!
[quote="130856316318"]Once you obtain 27k conquest (between ALL character) you can unlock all gear via honor.

And when someone caps conquest on however many characters it takes to hit 27,000 conquest during week 1 of an arena season and then has full conquest gear week 2?
06/12/2014 05:19 PMPosted by Boggyb
And when someone caps conquest on however many characters it takes to hit 27,000 conquest during week 1 of an arena season and then has full conquest gear week 2?

Then make it one character, until 10-12 weeks into the the season
06/12/2014 11:35 AMPosted by Bomdanil

I do it too...or perhaps: "Heroes of the Swarm"?

EVERY. DAMN. TIME.