feral kitty questions!

Arenas
mangle versus shred.

so they do the same damge but shread hits for 20% more if there is a bleed but costs 5 more energy. so you're getting a very slight damage increase for a small amount of energy.. .worth it to have it bound?

also, maim versus ferocious bite. situational? just trying to use these combo points as wisely as possible. seems like a lot of stuff to spend on.

so opener is savage roar > pounce > rake > mangle to 5 combo points > rip > mangle to 5 combo points > savage roar > rake? something along those lines? is dumping 5 points in to savage roar worth it?

appreciate the help. just having some fun on an alt.
For savage roar use the glyph. Never the points.

And your opener is fine.

I can usually take someone from 100% to 10% hp with just opener.
Mangle > Shred because it is more efficient for combo building. Shred should only be used during Berserk (if no Incarnation) and Tiger's Fury.

Situational. Generally, priority is: SR > Rip > FB/Maim. Are you bursting down a target, and SR/Rip are up? FB. Are you controlling or peeling a target? Maim.

There are multiple different openers you can use, depending on the situation. Watch this video by multi-glad feral Yipz (little outdated, but a lot of it still applies) and it will answer a lot of your questions.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JwH3EydN9I

Here's another more recent video that might help too:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PD3kAnqDAE

Edit: Mangle>Shred now?
From my very limited knowledge.

iirc Mangle is better 99% of the time because its faster combo points which leads to better uptime on everything. Shred during beserk or on spare ooc procs. I know in pve you thrash on ooc procs not sure if thats a pvp thing too.

Shred is more dps than Mangle though.

Ferocious Bite when you have the spare combo points or you think its going to be kb.

And savage roar you want to keep up all the time, it doesn't have to be a 5cp one.

This is probably all wrong.
06/21/2014 12:02 PMPosted by Irhcsas
For savage roar use the glyph. Never the points.

This is false.

You want to get up a 5pt roar after you get your bleeds up, as it's more energy efficient that way.

06/21/2014 12:03 PMPosted by Nyz
Shred during beserk or on spare ooc procs

06/21/2014 11:41 AMPosted by Adroi
so opener is savage roar > pounce > rake > mangle to 5 combo points > rip > mangle to 5 combo points > savage roar > rake? something along those lines? is dumping 5 points in to savage roar worth it?

Mine is

Roar -> pool 100 energy -> Pounce -> Shred -> TF -> Ravage -> Rake -> Mangle if not at 5 CP -> Rip -> Mangle to 5 CP -> Roar

usually takes people down pretty far if they don't pop a 2-3min defensive.

06/21/2014 12:03 PMPosted by Nyz
Ferocious Bite when you have the spare combo points or you think its going to be kb.

Ferocious Bite below 25%, because it refreshes Rip.
im not sure if im doing it right (might be too offensive to tf right away), but my opener is usually this

sav roar -> pounce -> mangle -> TF/gloves -> rake -> ravage -> rip

much of what i learned was from yipz feral guide, which i found quite helpful if you're interested

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JwH3EydN9I

when i already have bleeds up i like doing his burst window thingy with 4 combo points TF -> ravage -> ferocious bite

with NV/tailoring/trinket ive seen ~100k ravages into 120k ferocious bites on squishy targets (rdruids/mages/monks/rogues), most of the time its like 80k ravage ->90k bite though

i feel like its generally not worth using ferocious bite without energy/TF since it usually hits like a wet noodle, but if they're low and you got nothing else to spend the points on you might as well use it
thanks for the responses.

any other nifty feral tricks appreciated.
06/21/2014 01:01 PMPosted by Zvf
i feel like its generally not worth using ferocious bite without energy/TF since it usually hits like a wet noodle, but if they're low and you got nothing else to spend the points on you might as well use it

yea, thats why i'm curious about.

basic issue is the 7 keys for dps instead of 6. i would prefer to keep it to 6 given my key placement. i simply don't have a good location to put savage roar.
06/21/2014 11:41 AMPosted by Adroi
mangle versus shred.

so they do the same damge but shread hits for 20% more if there is a bleed but costs 5 more energy. so you're getting a very slight damage increase for a small amount of energy.. .worth it to have it bound?

also, maim versus ferocious bite. situational? just trying to use these combo points as wisely as possible. seems like a lot of stuff to spend on.

appreciate the help. just having some fun on an alt.

Okay
1.) I prefer to shred during Zerk and when I have everything up, SR, Rip, Rake (thrash is something extremely situational I'd advise avoiding it, but I have found certain situations where I did like it). Otherwise I mangle. During Zerk I may mangle if I can't get behind the target, though I usually try and get a maim or bash in to ensure uptime when I do zerk if not cross CC like an asphyix or shockwave on my target.
If everything isn't up, I tend to mangle more so I can rush to get them up. I'm never *too* worried about my direct damage unless someone is in kill range or I have CD's. Heavy focus on the bleed uptime.

2. I tend to maim a lot more recently. Bit consumes 50 energy for a full bite, 5 combo points, and relies on your rip or SR not falling off in the time it takes to get back to a position to reapply them at a good strength. I have seen bites around or about 100k on leather / cloth, think Calderg got some around 125k or something people were fussing about? Not sure I don't follow people around too much.

Maim's damage is really poor but in it you'll get 2-3 rip ticks, 1-2 rake ticks, enough energy for a shred and the chance to use it, on top of whatever shred/mangle you have the energy for before you maimed them. It is really nice, especially on healers assuming you're not fussing with DR too much. In 3's I've scored a majority of my kills during a maim on the healer while my partner put in the final shots for a kill, even if the target was on half stun dr (wouldn't apply it at quarter DR unless it's an interrupt for the kill and kick is down).

Overall the more and more I play the less and less I use bite, or even want to use bite since I can potentially be peeled, and sitting on some banked points if I'm anticipating it is much better than dumping them for some damage that will get topped off quickly so I can get a rip up as soon as I'm back on target assuming SR hasn't fallen off. The only time I find myself biting frequently is in PvE during Zerk, or in random BGs when a rip is a waste of time on undergeared or low health players.

3. Opener, Zvf hit it pretty much on the head what I shoot for. I have hesitated on the ravage if my trinket should be proc'ing soon, and don't forget to reapply rake if your first rake comes before the trinket procs, although try to get it up early. It's cheap to reapply and does a ton of damage, definitely worth clipping if you get a proc, and ideally just before the proc falls off. Should be able to get a rake when it procs, a rake when that first rake falls off, then reapply again before the trinket ends. The direct damage is just below mangle so it's not a huge loss on the initial hit.

Edit: Bit ramble-y. Super tired and heading to bed right now. I'll check on this later if you have any questions and see if I can answer them.
ughm i open like this (shred is apparently better for openers and stuff) and tiger's fury / zero

Savage roar > Pounce > Shred > Ravage > Tiger's fury > Rake > Rip

^ that one I'm trying out bean does it and he does more dmg then me so

mine is

Savage roar > Pounce > Mangle >Tiger's fury > Ravage > Rake > Rip

Ferocious bite isn't worth using unless there low health cuz it owns your energy pool and if you don't kill with it your a sitting duck auto attacking fora good 5 seconds.
06/21/2014 01:51 PMPosted by Calderg

why ravage before tigers fury? doesnt make sense in my head
06/21/2014 01:55 PMPosted by Zvf
why ravage before tigers fury? doesnt make sense in my head

ughm

i think because you can spam shred after you get perfect bleeds

Like example you already have 4-5 combo points when your on the person and just incase you get CC'd or something you didn't waste your tiger's fury and it'll only take like a second to get your high dot rip and rake then you can just spam shred till pom

not sure though still testing

i think i prefer my method
06/21/2014 01:51 PMPosted by Calderg
ughm i open like this (shred is apparently better for openers and stuff) and tiger's fury / zero

mine is

Savage roar > Pounce > Mangle >Tiger's fury > Ravage > Rake > Rip

Ferocious bite isn't worth using unless there low health cuz it owns your energy pool and if you don't kill with it your a sitting duck auto attacking fora good 5 seconds.

cool. much appreciated.