Upcoming Deserter Hotfixes for Rated PvP

Battlegrounds
1 2 3 41 Next
As part of our continued efforts to curb exploitive behavior and improve the overall PvP experience for our players, we’re applying a couple hotfixes that will make a few changes to how the Deserter debuff functions, and also apply it to Arenas and Rated Battlegrounds.

Once these hotfixes are applied, a player who leaves an Arena or Rated Battleground before anyone in the match has entered combat will, at first, be given a 5-minute Deserter debuff. If they leave another match prematurely within a 20-minute window, the duration of the Deserter debuff will increase by 5 minutes each time (and the 20-minute window will restart), to a maximum of 20 minutes. The debuff will also apply if a player leaves the queue (or ignores it) once the match is ready and they’re given the prompt to enter.

The Deserter debuff given for leaving a non-rated Battleground early will also be changed to begin at 5 minutes (and increase by 5 minutes for each subsequent desertion), but otherwise the rules will stay the same. Leaving a Random Battleground in progress at any point before it’s finished will give the Deserter debuff, and leaving or ignoring the prompt to enter a non-rated Battleground will not.

We’re currently in the process of preparing and testing the hotfix, but hope to push it live with this week’s maintenance period.
The Deserter debuff given for leaving a Random Battleground early will also be changed to begin at 5 minutes (and increase by 5 minutes for each subsequent desertion), but otherwise the rules will stay the same. Leaving a Random Battleground in progress at any point before it’s finished will give the Deserter debuff, and leaving or ignoring the prompt to enter a Random Battleground will not.

This will encourage people to leave bad matches more readily, leading to more queues popping into active games. I'd leave it at 15 minutes, boss.

Edit: Since I got first reply, I'll comment on the arena deserter

I see people are complaining about the time it will now take gearing alts. What they fail to acknowledge is that truly bad players at low MMR have to face good but gearing/carried toons and suffer more losses than is expected at their MMR.

You can't go for the sympathy vote when you're being pretty callous to legit low MMR players.
This sounds like a great thing, to me.

Non-PvP question (but still related): I know we have a deserter rebuff for leaving PVE content early, but is there a reason this hot fix is not going to apply to people who miss/ignore a queue popping for random PVE groups?
Thats nice and all but i already got my 27k conquest and all from all so i'm kinda good this season know what i'm saying. Keep up the good work lore thanks to you i been having fun getting bloody coins by ganking some horde in midsummer.
Highly Rated
I didn't want to cap my friend's/my own fresh 90 toon in 2s anyway.
Highly Rated
What a terrible change. It just makes things harder for people who just want to help friends catch up a bit on gear and just stand a chance when doing pvp.
[random bgs] Reducing the debuff to 5 minutes certainly has its pros and cons. Will be interesting to see if players afk out earlier than they do now, but on the other hand it keeps folks engaged in the game more if they would have normally logged off because of the 15 minute debuff (especially if you're horde and have a long queue time on top of that). 5 mins is a bit less punishing if you dc-ed or had something come up IRL temporarily. You'll also be queued into in-progress games more than now, though losing ones

I think the net effect is a positive one, but yeah pros and cons.
God help us the 2s lords got their wish
I'm not usually one to criticize Blizzard's decisions on anything, hell, most of them I agree with, but this is just an idiotic change, now getting gear on a fresh 90 alt is going to be way more difficult than it needs to be. Thanks guys.
rip alts
Highly Rated
How about a hot fix that makes it 10-15 games to cap no matter what your cap is. Make it a simple sliding scale, if your cap is 1800, you get 180 pts per win, if it is 18000 you get 1800. The joke gear you give boosted characters cant even damage through second wind, how about applying this instead of this silly little implementation that will do nothing but irritate people who get stuck on the loading screen and dced when the queue pops.
06/23/2014 03:09 PMPosted by Jalopy
I didn't want to cap my friend's/my own fresh 90 toon in 2s anyway.

06/23/2014 03:17 PMPosted by Ratharn
rip alts

06/23/2014 03:17 PMPosted by Bigcrayon
irritate people who get stuck on the loading screen and dced when the queue pops

Way to kill people helping boosted toons..

They'll now have to be queue'd up into super-geared tryhards and healer/dps comps.

Or

Struggle in the mess of green level armor wearing noobs in Random BGs.. THEN try to win against super-geared 2s teams or be forced to partake in the flavorless YOLO RBGs for conquest...

/sigh

The struggle is real.

(Or maybe just save this "hotfix" for AFTER you fix the gearing system/gap for PvP in 6.0? Just an idea..)

Edit: ALSO, give us a way to downvote/dislike your posts blues! Because I can guarantee you'd be waaayyy low on this one.. :P
Highly Rated
06/23/2014 02:59 PMPosted by Lore
The debuff will also apply if a player leaves the queue (or ignores it) once the match is ready and they’re given the prompt to enter.

So... if I get up to use the bathroom and my queue goes off and I don't get back in time, I get deserter?
06/23/2014 03:18 PMPosted by Hombrèlobo
Edit: ALSO, give us a way to downvote/dislike your posts blues! Because I can guarantee you'd be waaayyy low on this one.. :P
nah one person with really well phrased input can agree with them to make all the voting better
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Please run the possibility of making dampening apply faster in 2's by the PvP team. 2's is so bad right now, and this would be an easy fix. Possible 5 minute dampening would improve QOL in the bracket endlessly.
06/23/2014 03:26 PMPosted by Polychotomy
Please run the possibility of making dampening apply faster in 2's by the PvP team. 2's is so bad right now, and this would be an easy fix. Possible 5 minute dampening would improve QOL in the bracket endlessly.

Dampening has been at 5 minutes in 2's for a while. :)

Dampening is already applied at the 5 minute mark for 2s.
06/23/2014 03:26 PMPosted by Lore

Dampening has been at 5 minutes in 2's for a while. :)

Well, as it stands, it really isn't enough.

Edit: Although there is irony in a bracket having a problem so endemic that even the theoretical fix doesn't do anything. I guess it does actually apply at 5.
How the hell do I cap a healer alt now? I don't want 20 minute games with a half PvE geared healer/dps in 2's running into other healer/dps teams.
If they were going to implement this change they should really have waited till 6.0. This makes it horrible to cap points with a boosted green gear toon or any alt for that matter. I might as well not play my alts until WoD comes out because it will take extremely long to gear them now, thanks to this hotfix.