Your opinion on extremely long MRP profiles?

Moon Guard
I don't generally read MRPs but I definitely wont read a long one. Definitely not all the way through.
But on the other hand my opinion of one doesn't matter. Really you should write your MRP description for yourself, your character's appearance is only important insofar as prettier characters are generally more endearing
08/05/2014 04:24 PMPosted by Drannon
In their defense I believe that's just a mix-up due to recent incompatibilities between the two mods. Every time I see a TRP profile through MRP it displays history where you would normally see the Currently tag.

On a side note I thoroughly enjoyed TRP but dropped it due to the mass disinterest in the mod. I hope the current devs behind MRP implement some of those features. Maybe not the whole build-an-RP feature, but custom classes at the very least.

No, on my old server TRP2 was the standard addon, and I've used TRP2 as my primary RP addon since Cataclysm. There's always been an issue with just how much info people decide they HAVE to pack into their current info.
I don't even write descriptions in MRP. Nobody wants to read a long description.
Most of the time I'm just looking at your in game model so all those piercings and tattoos and mega-cool scars you have are immediately forgotten upon exiting your derp-face same-face as everyone else in game model becomes who you really are.

Sorry, I just don't have the retention to remember that sort of detail. You're Human Face #4 to me.
If people want to write out their character's life story, that's cool with me.

I've never read anything other than the 'current status' that happens when you mouse over.

My character doesn't know you. What I do know, I'll remember on my own, or forget IC. :)

While it's cool to read others' creations, I prefer reading their fanficition on the realm forums as opposed to doing it in-game.

For the same reason, I just put the bare basics on my own MRP.
I love to read MRPs. The problems that I found with some of the longer ones is;

1. Sometime I have to read them twice to fully absorb all the info.

2. The writers get impatient with how long it actually takes to read War and Peace.

I absolutely loathe an empty MRP. Why have it to leave it blank? At least make an effort to be interesting.

But if you write it and haven't parked your rear in my trajectory I'll probably take the time to read it.

It's kind of a thing with me. I even check for folks updates.

Personally I try to pack as much as I can into twelve proper sentences or less.
08/06/2014 01:27 PMPosted by Leonitess
2. The writers get impatient with how long it actually takes to read War and Peace.

I gigglesnorted.
08/06/2014 10:02 AMPosted by Spinesplintr
Most of the time I'm just looking at your in game model so all those piercings and tattoos and mega-cool scars you have are immediately forgotten upon exiting your derp-face same-face as everyone else in game model becomes who you really are.

Sorry, I just don't have the retention to remember that sort of detail. You're Human Face #4 to me.

Gave me a chuckle. This is precisely why Blizzard should add more cosmetic options, I don't think scars would be very hard to add in. But I'm not a super guru genius, so don't take my word on that.
I for am strongly opposed to super long-MRP profiles. as it can promote metagaming and reduce actaul RP if you can read soemones's life story right there. I use MRP largely for things like titles and full names, and in some cases a different racial name, but don't go into vast detail about my history, as that should rightfully be discovered through interaction.
If I wasn't interested in reading then I wouldn't be roleplaying. That being said, I don't want to read several paragraphs of absolute horse!@#$. If you're gonna write more than three paragraphs, make it good. Don't just barely cover all your bases. Mine is roughly six paragraphs and I wrote it a few years ago. I've only ever had compliments.

Edit: I'll also add that I'm pretty strongly against putting a ton of character backstory into MRP profiles. Hell, I don't even reveal Drek'tal's history through roleplay. If someone wants to know OOC I'll gladly tell but you're character probably isn't going to learn much without hearing it directly from the man himself, and he ain't too friendly.
I use the KISS method.

If they closely resemble the in-character model, which I try to do at character creation, I'll note that. Any extras are identifiers specific to that character. If they have a collection of scars, noted. If they have a single defining mark, done. For druids, sometimes I must use extra space to define those appearances.

(K)eep (I)t (S)imple (S)tupid, a good baseline.
I don't like long winded MRPs. Not everyone wants to know the texture of the cloth/leather/metal armor your wearing. How soft and perfect your hair is. If the description is 15 paragraphs long and half of that is about the persons hair or abs then I usually close out. I don't need to know that you named all your ab muscles and how bulging and firm they are.

I only list major scars and anything minor is left as minor.

Of course not having enough detail is also annoying. I would like to know if a character is missing their left eye or half their face is melted, since you usually see that unless they're wearing a mask.

Adding in "well their left eye is missing and their blind in the other eye." in the middle of the RP seems like powerplaying to me and turns me off to RPing with that person. Mention it in the beginning and things will be fine with me.
If I roleplay with someone I read their profile, long or short, good or bad. I only give up when there are no paragraph breaks, but I give it my best shot. If I'm browsing randomly, I tend to just skim for anything that grabs my attention. If I see what I think is a well designed character, I compliment.

When writing, I try to use good style. Don't write five words for what you can say in three, and don't use a long word where a short word will do. Part of it is understanding that words are not interchangeable. Surreptitious is not the same as secret, and capricious is not the same as impulsive. Complex words shouldn't be used to spice up your language, because replacing words changes the meaning. That's another part of writing, finding the words that say what you want to say, and a short word won't always do.

And "long words" can actually bring your word count down, because of how much information you can condense to a sentence. Skilled use of metaphor can do the same. If I describe Aurric as a disciplined statue of a man, that tells the reader several things, and it also gives them the opportunity to imagine how that looks. I think it's important to leave something to the imagination, to focus on the impression of a character rather than a detailed snapshot.
Part of it is understanding that not all words are not interchangeable.

Surreptitious actually is a synonym of secret/secretive.

It doesn't really matter what kinds or letter lengths of words you use, so long as they make sense grammatically.
I like them.
Skim method works pretty well. Just read through, pick out the major stuff such as missing body parts of huge-!@# scars, move on to gear descriptions, and you're ready to go in about twenty to thirty seconds.

I give credit to people who can put in enough detail for nine paragraphs though.
Skim method works pretty well. Just read through, pick out the major stuff such as missing body parts of huge-!@# scars, move on to gear descriptions, and you're ready to go in about twenty to thirty seconds.

I give credit to people who can put in enough detail for nine paragraphs though.

Honestly most authors don't even do this. I mean in general, from a collection of a massive amount of short stories about Conan you can pretty much make out in a paragraph or less that he is: Tall, Black hair square cut, blue eyes, strong and has tan skin.

It's written more eloquently but if you were to describe Conan in his simplest form it would be the above.

Also Stephen King is pretty skimp on Roland's description...harry potter and co is just like hair color, has a scar, glasses and green eyes. Hermoine is short with crazy hair. Ron has red hair and freckles. GG.
08/07/2014 11:28 AMPosted by Drektal
Part of it is understanding that not all words are not interchangeable.

Fair enough, and there will always be many ways to say the same thing, but my point is that there are nuances which are often overlooked. There is nothing surreptitious about a secret ingredient, unless it turns out to be people.
Short MRPs that can summarize a lot, and are more concise are WAYYY more likely to be bothered with and read, and actually liked, rather than long novels going on about yourself which no one bothers to read, or care about.