WoD Beta Thread 6 (spoilers)

Story Forum
Prev 1 7 8 9 26 Next
08/09/2014 09:40 PMPosted by Shiwu
I liked the Alliance's story in Cata and HATED the Horde's.

08/09/2014 09:36 PMPosted by Mystaerica
Hint: it's because you're not one.
.I liked the Alliance's story in Cata and HATED the Horde's.
Now I am curious. How did you enjoy that story?
08/09/2014 10:28 PMPosted by Cladriah
I liked hanging out with Malfurion in a bunch of zones. I liked the tons of NE lore in Hyjal/Molten Front/Naga areas. I felt like the Firelands patch was directly defending the NEs and I was very into it. Cata had a lot going on for NE players.

Also, the dwarf wedding in Twilight is possibly favorite moment in the entire game.

Grundy MacGraff: Then by the powers vested in me... the powers vested in me...
Grundy MacGraff / The Beast Unleashed: ...BY BLOOD AND SHADOW!
The Beast Unleashed: I shall consume your lifeblood in the name of the master!

To me at least, the Alliance's story felt like they were banding together and becoming stronger even though they lost several battles. Each loss brought them closer together as an Alliance.
The Horde, while they did win a lot was torn apart more and more with each victory thanks to Garrosh's lust for war (I really hate Garrosh).

Basically, the Alliance was banding together and strengthening itself while the Horde was tearing itself apart. That is my take on it anyway ^_^

I also loved all the Night Elf stuff :D

Well if you're a dwarf fan, for instance, there's really not much to dislike in Cataclsym. The dwarven zones and arcs are fairly solid. The only dwarven material I've seen anyone object to is the wedding in Twilight Highlands but the trope itself was reasonable and the questing leading up to it was solid, better done than the Horde material for the zone.
08/09/2014 10:53 PMPosted by Nandoe
The only dwarven material I've seen anyone object to is the wedding in Twilight Highlands

Personally, I liked that part.

I just hated its placement. Would have been fine in, say, Loch Modan maybe. Not on basically the front line of the fight with Deathwing's flunkies.

Also it is REALLY hard to get into a wedding when you see the writhing giant tentacles of the "old god bread" (love that typo) isorath or whatever it was in the background.

edit; What did the Horde do in that part of Twilight Highlands, anyway?
08/09/2014 09:11 PMPosted by Shiwu
08/09/2014 09:06 PMPosted by Faelaen
Hi, let me introduce myself, I'm Faelaen and I've been advocating for the Alliance to get better story as well as a better story all the way around. I'm also a bifactional player.

I don't really have a problem with the Alliance story as an Alliance player myself. Except for the poor Gnomes....they REEEAAALLLY need more lore.

WoD, the expansion where gnomes become the draenei.
All of Archimonde's texts from the Burning Legion Missive.

http://imgur.com/fkWOHlh
inb4 Gul'dan doesn't die on alternate Draenor, gets our timeline`s Skull of Gul'dan , recovers his memories and lives once again to herald the coming of the burning legion to our Azeroth.

I hope they don't kill gul'dan... he should live forever, I would be a sad orc if gul'dan dies again :(
08/10/2014 12:26 AMPosted by Vicara

I like the mention of Argus again.

Seems the idea that its the Legion's stronghold is true. Or at the least where the Eredar remain.
08/10/2014 12:41 AMPosted by Cirno
08/10/2014 12:26 AMPosted by Vicara

Seems the idea that its the Legion's stronghold is true. Or at the least where the Eredar remain.

I just wonder if that remains true in our timeline as well. I hope Blizzard goes over which lore we get in Draenor holds true for our timeline as well.

Personally, I hope most of it is with just minor things here and there changed.
08/09/2014 10:34 PMPosted by Shiwu
To me at least, the Alliance's story felt like they were banding together and becoming stronger even though they lost several battles. Each loss brought them closer together as an Alliance.

That was supposed to be enjoyable? Because the unity storyline is awful and just an excuse for homogenization.
08/10/2014 01:19 AMPosted by Kazus
08/10/2014 12:41 AMPosted by Cirno

I just wonder if that remains true in our timeline as well. I hope Blizzard goes over which lore we get in Draenor holds true for our timeline as well.

Personally, I hope most of it is with just minor things here and there changed.

I imagine it would be. While some things vary for untold reasons (Rulkhan being alive, Archimonde's seemingly being involved in the hunt for the Draenei when originally he just didn't care and Kil'jaeden was the one who was obsessed, etc), I think the core parts would remain to be true, such as Argus being a stronghold.
08/10/2014 01:19 AMPosted by Kazus

I am looking at it this way. Any events that contradict our timeline is not lore for our timeline. So basically, the lore on Draenei culture, Arakkoa culture, the cultures of the various clans is what their culture was in our timeline as they don't contradict anything.

08/10/2014 01:23 AMPosted by Lena
That was supposed to be enjoyable? Because the unity storyline is awful and just an excuse for homogenization.

That is your opinion, not mine.
08/10/2014 01:34 AMPosted by Shiwu

I'm confused about what's supposed to be enjoyable in seeing the Alliance reduced to a homogenized blue and gold blob.
08/10/2014 01:41 AMPosted by Lena
I'm confused about what's supposed to be enjoyable in seeing the Alliance reduced to a homogenized blue and gold blob.
Be proud of your homogenized blue and gold blob...OF JUSTICE!
So the Talador chain ended. What happens is Maladaar and Liadrin assault the main base. Nyami, Teron'gor and gul'dan slip into auchindoun in a fake attack.

When did any of this happen? Was it when they lost in Andorhal and the guy says the king will be pissed the end? Was it in Ashenvale when the night elves fought against the horde and got zero phasing for any of their battles as well as lost silverwind? Most of them fought seperately and the leadership of any of the alliance nations was never seen in Cataclysm (they even cut Varian out of the starting zone and he did nothing, he didn't even get to uncover benedictus, the alliance lost their intro to twilight highlands as well).

There really wasn't any "banding together", that only kind of happened in Wolfheart but that was an absolutely terrible book that make the night elves look completely incompetent, and had the worgen being the greatest warriors on Azeroth. The only "banding together" happened in two scenarios in MoP, one that made Tyrande look like an idiot and another than made the dwarf council look like idiots who couldn't even defend their home from one zandalari ambassador without Varian.

In Cata the alliance served no purpose other than to look weak and incompetent so Garrosh could rise to power. No idea how people could like that story at all, there wasn't even any real interaction between the alliance races in Cata.

I also loved all the Night Elf stuff :D

Was it the part where Malfurion didn't want to help his people in Ashenvale as was the cause of the druids of the flame? Was it the cleansing of nordrassil that never happened and instead had Thrall's wedding? There wasn't night elf stuff in Hyjal or anything, it was the neutral CC that is a joint force of night elves and tauren, they are separate from Darnassus.

Not sure what was good for night elves in Cata or MoP other than destroying Tyrande and making the night elves look completely incompetent.

Really don't see what people specifically liked about the night elf stuff that pretty much butchered their story from Cata-MoP, other than really to spite night elf fans.
08/10/2014 01:41 AMPosted by Lena
08/10/2014 01:34 AMPosted by Shiwu

They disagree with you about homogenization.
I consider myself a pretty knowledgeable film buff, and in my opinion Robot Monster is the best film ever made.