Twitch Streamers Giving Away Beta Keys

General Discussion
Prev 1 14 15 16 28 Next
I've been playing since about a month before BC came out. I haven't gotten a beta key.

That being said it's promotion. They are giving Beta keys to twitch casters who have done a lot to keep the hype going for the game. This is common, expected, and reasonable.

I, personally have no issue with it, and while I wish I got a chance to experience WoD Beta. I'm not griping about missing out on it.
I personally find twitch streamers in general to be obnoxious and offensive. They spam trade chat with links to videos of them playing wow.....for what? I'm already playing the game...why would I want to watch someone else narrate (badly) the exact same content that everyone in the game has done a hundred times? They want people to "watch and subscribe" to their "channel" when its nothing. Its just attention whoring and it serves me no real purpose, it shouldn't be encouraged like this.
twitch is for !@#$%es
It kind of ISN'T up to us who gets keys. The RNG system does the work and picks a random player. So far all 110+ keys I have given out have been redeemed and most those who received me added me on BNET and have a legit BNET address.
08/18/2014 07:43 PMPosted by Faelar
08/18/2014 07:40 PMPosted by Moldrok
Why is it bad that a streamer makes money?

I am fine with a streamer earning money on their own merits. But for Blizz to just hand them a golden ticket to gain extra cash is pretty crappy. And that is exactly what these beta keys will be for these streamers, a way to generate a nice influx of cash.

It is the same with any other game we play. When Rift expansion came out I was provided with 100 Keys to give away. It drives exposure to the game and also the streamers channel. It is our job. It is no different then any other situation with a different game. But cool part is I love my job :) And it's fun!
08/18/2014 07:37 PMPosted by Verees
08/18/2014 07:34 PMPosted by Faelar
And these streamers may or may not be great people. That is fine. Give them early beta access if you want, but to hand them beta keys for them to give out (or profit from) is just not a great idea. Some of these keys will be sold (you just cannot track them all, sorry) and the fact that these Twitch streamers will generate TONS of revenue from Ads and the influx of traffic is also wrong on Blizz's part.

I can't like your post enough

Christ it is not wrong it is part of the business man. We love what we do. We work HARD to bring the WoW communities together on Twitch. A lot of us like Baj Swifty and others have been streaming WoW for 4 years now. We have made a living off of what we LOVE TO DO. And promotional events are part of this now. This is how it works. Blizzard isn't paying us anything. They are generously giving us keys to spread the word of WoD. It is up to US as streamers to do our jobs. And if we do our job well we get our just due in terms of our business.
08/19/2014 07:20 AMPosted by Towelliee

Christ it is not wrong it is part of the business man. We love what we do. We work HARD to bring the WoW communities together on Twitch. A lot of us like Baj Swifty and others have been streaming WoW for 4 years now. We have made a living off of what we LOVE TO DO. And promotional events are part of this now. This is how it works. Blizzard isn't paying us anything. They are generously giving us keys to spread the word of WoD. It is up to US as streamers to do our jobs. And if we do our job well we get our just due in terms of our business.

Maybe this wouldn't be so bad on streamers if WoD isn't looking too good based on developer cutbacks and questionable responses.

Also I still can't believe they acknowledge Swifty as an absolute after what he had done in the past (and probably still does).
08/18/2014 08:29 PMPosted by Moldrok
I think the rule Blizzard gave the streamers is that ALL had to be able to win regardless of following/sub

Correct no pay wall at all. In my channel there is no timer countdown so less congestion comes to channel. I just do mine when i do and it works out well. Kind of keeps the people who want to be there versus those who are bots or ebay hunters. But no you don't need to Sub, follow, or any type of loop hole. If this is being done you should report it.
08/19/2014 07:22 AMPosted by Stevelives

Maybe this wouldn't be so bad on streamers if WoD isn't looking too good based on developer cutbacks and questionable responses.

Also I still can't believe they acknowledge Swifty as an absolute after what he had done in the past (and probably still does).

He made a mistake. And it was proven he did no wrong hence the actions taken. Hell I been banned for few hours for doing fan raid with no malicious intent. It happens. To hold onto something after 3 years it a bit extreme at this point.
So much miss information being spread about @seriousgaming.

They neither require nor insist you either follow of sub, people saying other wise are plain liars.

Whether they drink on stream or not is not against Blizzard ToS nor Twitch. Also if they are so bad, why did Blizzard give 100 keys to giveaway!

At least they don't sell CM mode or SoO heroic mode runs for real money unlike a few on this list, which is against ToS.

Lets get the facts straight.
As I leave for day to go to work (see what I did there) I leave you with this. Twitch has grown into a crazy scene for gamers. I realize a lot of people are upset. I went 8 years without getting invited to anything. I will admit I had to have friends give me their Beta for previous expansions JUST to be able to give my community a glimpse at new content. I am a WoW Veteran. Since Beta. Longest vacation I ever taken in last 10 years from WoW is 30 days lol.

We are grateful as streamers for what Blizzard has done. We bring awareness to games not just for them but for all Developers all over the world. We get to bring new content to large audiences. That being said what we do is also now our JOB. Well for a lot of us. What is going on here is no different then keys being given to a WoW website to promote the game. They make revenue from the hits on site and clicks on their advertising. It is NO different. Picking on us cause we might and most likely will make more revenue is wrong. Maybe that is your moral standing on the issue. "streamers shouldn't make money from playing video games." Yes I get this a lot and so do a lot of us. But in today's gaming world streaming especially on Twitch has become a powerful force for exposure.

That is how our fun loving job works. We do our job. We do it well. And sometimes we get approached for promotional events or to promote a game. We LOVE our job. We truly do. Well least I do :) I am blessed by the light of Tirion (nerd pump) to do what I do.

No one has even asked us streamers how the process works for our channels at all. People just assume we make THOUSANDS from this key stuff. And that is ok. It comes with the territory to be laughed at and ridiculed for what we do cause frankly it is still NEW.

I do my best on Beta. You can watch any of my VODS. (muted twitch joke) You will see I open up tickets in RP form for bugs and quests and suggestions. I do every dungeon and interact with chat 90% time to answer tanking questions or questions of my opinion on things. I attend the raids, do every quest to show people every ounce of WoD. I am also a Garrison addict and I need help.

In ending this so I can leave my domicile, don't hate on the blues for any of this. What is happening here is for the good of the community and brings THOUSANDS of new players to the game. This is also a business and promoting and making money is part of it. But that shouldn't blind people from the fact that we love to do this, money or not. And we played this game LONG before streaming was a thing.
I laughed at bit at the '' We work HARD '' . Some streamers do like Bajheera but some other opinionated streamers on here don't.
funny, that a different attitude from towelliee from when he found out that he was skipped over for blizzards streamer awards. Like night and day...funny how giving a streamer something that will get them traffic totally changes their attitude.
Marketing 101

well played blizzard well play. free marketing = the best marketing. twitch is by far and away the most cost effective marketing tool out there right now for game designers. I think what this post boils down to is simple. They got keys and I didnt + they get to play games for a living and I dont = nerd/forum rage.

I personally would love a key but to be honest I wouldnt be able to test it half as well as streamers like towelliee because well I have a job that doesnt include me playing wow all day (I WISH IT DID! and so do all of you as well). blizzard is smart to give keys to streamers if only because they play the crap out of the product and find more bugs in a day then most beta testers will find through a whole testing cycle.

I will end this post by saying............Can I Haz Key now??? Kappa
Put your faith in the light! Towelliee is here to set the record straight.
So if we want an extra chance to get a beta key we should stop playing wow and watch streamers play wow for a chance to get a key?
08/19/2014 07:20 AMPosted by Towelliee

It is wrong to profit off of of these beta keys. First of all you may promote WoW "for now" but you are not a full time WoW streamer as you said in a prior post you went all in for Rift as well. You'll move on to the next thing as soon as it comes along so you can PROFIT on it. You may think you are some benevolent force of goodness for the game, but you are not. Do not sugar coat what this is. It is about the MONEY. Okay? okay.
I get the feeling that Blizz could cure cancer and people would still complain.
08/19/2014 08:08 AMPosted by Faelar

It is wrong to profit off of of these beta keys. First of all you may promote WoW "for now" but you are not a full time WoW streamer as you said in a prior post you went all in for Rift as well. You'll move on to the next thing as soon as it comes along so you can PROFIT on it. You may think you are some benevolent force of goodness for the game, but you are not. Do not sugar coat what this is. It is about the MONEY. Okay? okay.

Pretty sure Towelliee (and others) is just happy to be able to provide early access to a game he loves and knows people watching him regularly love as well.

The money is just a plus, and I have no problem with that. Stop being so personally hurt because he is able to make a living off of what we wish we could do. Seriously.