Too much emphasis on garrisons?

General Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 23 Next
The only thing I don't like about the Garrisons is that they are per character and not account bound. I was hoping Blizzard would phase the Garrisons and once an alt reached the point where the alt would need to build one the full Garrison would appear. I can easily see how it would be a pain for someone with 11 alts try to maintain every single Garrison to their maximum potential.

I however understand that it cannot be account bound because doing so would limit your choices in what you were able to build restricting you to your "main" building setup leaving you with zero customization.

Personally I always liked resource gathering and customization type games which is why I fell in love with the original Warcraft games and seeing my Peons run around chopping wood and mining which Blizzard immediately brings in the opening quest line. I like the fact that we can run around and gather resources as well to help build our Garrisons while also hunting for rares which also drop resources.

The job orders for our followers are also an interesting edition because each follower have their own strengths which can be used to counter whatever enemy they may find along the way.

Sadly I just made my Garrison last night so I didn't really have time to progress any further past making the barracks.
Wasn't there a post that went something like..."If You're Going to Do Player Housing Do It Right". Maybe they took that advice.
Well, if you are reading posts by people who haven't experienced garrisons, you'll notice that it's mostly negative and fearful.

If you are reading posts by people who are experiencing garrisons, you'll notice that most of these players are excited and loving them.

If I weren't in beta and just wanted to get a true feeling as to whether they look like they'll be a fun addition, I would listen to the players who have actually tried it.
A beta tester leveled on one toon making full use of the garrison. He tried to level another toon without a garrison and encountered difficulty finding quests enough to do to level. Last I read, he was stuck at 96. But that was a while ago.

There are a random quests scattered around the zones that you pick up as you see them, but the main breadcrumbs for new zones are in the garrison.

So it is probably doable, you just have to find other ways to gain levels.
08/21/2014 07:21 AMPosted by Heysugar
A beta tester leveled on one toon making full use of the garrison. He tried to level another toon without a garrison and encountered difficulty finding quests enough to do to level. Last I read, he was stuck at 96. But that was a while ago.

There are a random quests scattered around the zones that you pick up as you see them, but the main breadcrumbs for new zones are in the garrison.

So it is probably doable, you just have to find other ways to gain levels.

That particular beta tester also ignored every other way to gain XP and only focused on quests that didn't involve the Garrisons.
08/21/2014 05:30 AMPosted by Lethalock
Do you think Blizzard is putting too much emphasis on garrisons?

Feels like they're heavily tied in with leveling and overall game play to the point you simple cant not do them. I feel Blizzard would do so much better just focusing on epic raids and heaps of dungeons, that's our bread and butter.

Trying to reinvent the wheel every expansion will always bring about hits and misses.

We're putting together (at long last) more information on the Garrisons that will hopefully assuage a lot of concerns people have and share more about the gameplay that goes with it. It will take us a little longer to put that information together for you all, but I think it will shed some light on the depth of Garrisons while also making it clear how much or how little you can interact with them (based on what you want from it). They definitely have something to offer pretty much everyone (save the rare person).

We'll do our best to try to address as many concerns and questions as people have in those blogs and in the forums here as we go along.
08/21/2014 07:27 AMPosted by Nethaera

Feels like they're heavily tied in with leveling and overall game play to the point you simple cant not do them. I feel Blizzard would do so much better just focusing on epic raids and heaps of dungeons, that's our bread and butter.

Trying to reinvent the wheel every expansion will always bring about hits and misses.

We're putting together (at long last) more information on the Garrisons that will hopefully assuage a lot of concerns people have and share more about the gameplay that goes with it. It will take us a little longer to put that information together for you all, but I think it will shed some light on the depth of Garrisons while also making it clear how much or how little you can interact with them (based on what you want from it). They definitely have something to offer pretty much everyone (save the rare person).

We'll do our best to try to address as many concerns and questions as people have in those blogs and in the forums here as we go along.

Finally! It has been nearly three months since part one of the supposed four-part water cooler on Garrisons. I figured it was because they've gone through heavy iteration.
Thanks Neth <3

Cool, can't wait to see the blogs!

Are they required to play the game?

If yes, then I might be one of those people that does not like them. I prefer to not be forced into something that is an even bigger time sink on top of the time sink the game in general already requires to keep up. And in the end, takes me away from the things I would prefer to do, just to "keep up".

If no, then fantastic. Have fun building little cities populated by only you and anyone you may temporarily invite to your group.

Do they give obvious advantages to those who have excess time to pour into building them?

If yes, we may have a problem. You should be able to play them game without being at a disadvantage because your garrison is not as advanced as everyone else's. In essence, making them a requirement. Especially if it is gated to require daily activities to make it advance, as opposed to weekly.

If no, then fantastic. Have fun building little cities populated by only you and anyone you may temporarily invite to your group.

Edit:
Do I have to do this garrison thing on all my characters?

If yes, then you lost me. Like everything I do in this game, it is me playing the game. Regardless of the character, I am the one doing it and if there is one thing that I find tiresome after all this time, it's repeating myself. This applies to PvP Achievements, Faction Reps, dailies, leveling grind and so on. It does not make for interesting game play, with the exception of doing both sides of the story (Alliance and Horde). I like to advance myself, not repeat myself.

08/21/2014 07:31 AMPosted by Mork

Finally! It has been nearly three months since part one of the supposed four-part water cooler on Garrisons. I figured it was because they've gone through heavy iteration.

It's a great addition to the game and yes, it's gone through a lot of iteration (for the better) that we hope everyone will be able to enjoy. We just didn't want to put out blogs that weren't as accurate as possible since it is such a big addition. We wanted to do it some justice (and the developers too) when we presented it.
08/21/2014 07:35 AMPosted by Rrayy
False. All false. In Beta, I leveld this toon to 96 without ANY need for the garrison other than what the poster you quoted said. You can easily level to 100 without putting in a single building in your garrison. ONce you make it, you can simply use it as a quest hub.

Stop spreading false information.

So you don't need them for professions?
08/21/2014 07:35 AMPosted by Rrayy
08/21/2014 06:01 AMPosted by Adelphie

Garrisons are very much integrated into questing, so you need to do them unless you level by dungeon/bgs.

Garrisons are also mandatory for anyone looking to do professions in WoD.

Other than that it really depends on if there are any rewards you want. Like mount collectors will definitely want to have the stables.
False. All false. In Beta, I leveld this toon to 96 without ANY need for the garrison other than what the poster you quoted said. You can easily level to 100 without putting in a single building in your garrison. ONce you make it, you can simply use it as a quest hub.

Stop spreading false information.

how about the profession part - are garrisons mandatory if you want to lvl up your professions ?
Ugh epic raids and dungeons. The decison not to play WoD would become crystal clear.

Epic in the context i used it just means awesome raids and dungeons, i don't know whats not to like about those!

Will there be any blog posts about BGs and why they were cut from the xpac? I am pretty disappointed as a long time PvPer.

It seems PvPers lost even more content to PvE this xpac relative to past xpacs where we got world PvP zones and BGs.
I'm going to wait to try it before I say nay or yay.. I enjoyed the resources I got from half Hill, so I'll see how Garrisons work out
garrisons are just the newest feature. there is lots of content in the expansion.

i mean.... did you watch the trailer?