[Bug] Default 3D Movement Pitch is Down

Bug Report
1 2 3 5 Next
Previously, when one mounted on a flying/water mount, or began swimming, the default pitch was neutral. That is, one would swim in a straight line, neither up nor down, until the pitch controls were used.

Now, most of the time (though not all of the time) when I go to start flying or swimming, the default pitch is about 45 degrees down. I have to either land and lift off again (which sometimes resets it), or manually correct the pitch to make it neutral again. Very irritating when one is mounting/unmounting.

Even more annoying is when one is swimming and trying to get out of the water. The problem is that when one hits the surface of the water, it resets the pitch and usually pitches down, meaning that unless/until one gets lucky and has the pitch stay neutral when one breaks the surface, it is almost *impossible* to surface! Instead, one ends up pitching down the moment one hits the surface of the water, and consequently ends up back underwater again.
I have the same issue and am looking forward to a good solution. So far the in game petition has been slow and unhelpful.
I also have the same problem its driving me crazy i cant even go in water anymore without going down i really wish there was a fix for this
Glad to hear somebody else is having this issue! I've made extensive contact with a GM, including having them control one of my toons for a while. They come back saying they're swimming just fine, meanwhile I'm swimming with this pitch issue on my main. They suggested many things, tinkering with mouse and camera options, clearing designated folders of course, and using their repair tool, nothing has been solved. I'm almost beginning to think of un-and-reinstalling WoW completely--that is until somebody told me that the repair tool does just that. I am at a complete loss of what to do.
I'm almost having this problem. Mine happens quite often, unfortunately, and it's been giving a guildie of mine terrible motion sickness... I wish someone would tell us what to do to fix it. I've tried asking around before, and someone basically told me to hold down the mouse button and move forward. Didn't exactly work, and it was a lot of hassle when all I wanted to do was to keep from swimming downwards all the time.
The biggest problem I'M having with this isn't even so much how annoying it is (and it is) but that it's making me physically ill. For whatever reason, this pitch issue is causing me to become severely nauseated. To the point where I have to quit playing and go lay down. It's getting to the point where I don't even want to play anymore because every time I use a flying mount or swim, I can barely function. I think it's somehow related to a motion sickness type issue, but it's making me pretty miserable. :(

Oh...and I see Kahlana got to this before I could. Lol.
Hey gang. I can't find any other reports of this issue, but I'd definitely like to look into it for you. I've been unable to replicate what you are describing on my own characters, so I'd like some information from you to help my efforts. Specifically, describe how you move your character in WoW. For example, my method is that I have my character moving forward by holding down the "W" key, and while I'm doing that I hold down the right mouse button and move my mouse to control turning and facing.

Naturally, the point of this is that I'd like to make sure that I'm controlling my character in the same way that you are while trying to replicate your reports. Thanks!

The biggest problem I'M having with this isn't even so much how annoying it is (and it is) but that it's making me physically ill.

Missmurder, you may want to consult your doctor. He/she might clear you to use a mild motion-sickness medication or some such. Might be worth looking into if we can't figure this out quickly.

Is your issue urgent? Need direct assistance? Contact an Accounts and Technical Services Rep! http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/company/about/contact.html

Good luck with your issue, and good gaming!

Basically, it is as the op explains in regards to having the camera change immediately upon breaking the water, which means that any forward momentum pushes you immediately back underwater. I generally use the mouse completely while underwater, using center mouse wheel click to autorun and glide along using double click to turn and position. I actually try and set my mouse settings lower so I'm not spinning madly out of control, so that isn't the concern.

Anyways, Davidba, I've found that your method of movement, along with strafing under the surface of the water and cresting like a whale/shark provides the easiest and smoothest transition from water to surface without ending up underwater again due to the pitch issue, and even then I occasionally just end up doing it a couple of times because I end up deeper at the last second then I did before I hit the surface.

One additional note that may be of help, I seem to think I've noticed that the camera cannot skim the waters surface as closely as I remember it did a while ago, as it is harder to get that 'jaws' camera angle just on the surface, so maybe there is some sort of tiny camera deadzone on the surface on which it likes to reset.
Also chiming in.

01/02/2011 10:59 AMPosted by Meirneth
Basically, it is as the op explains in regards to having the camera change immediately upon breaking the water, which means that any forward momentum pushes you immediately back underwater.

If you're swimming underwater and come up for air while moving forward, you will move forward - but you will be moving forward underwater instead of above. You have to break the surface and not move in order to "catch your breath".

When you're swimming above water, you get pushed down quite a bit. The best way to describe it is this: If you're drunk and on a flying mount, you CAN'T just fly in a straight line. Your mount keeps pitching down. It's the same with swimming above water.

I use my mouse to move, not the keyboard.
When this happens to me, I'm usually holding the two mouse buttons down and it begins when I switch to auto run. I'll fix it with my mouse, but if I stop and start again (using just autorun this time) it starts me off at an odd pitch again. I always assumed I just moved my mouse without noticing it.
I've had this issue with water collisions, it seems like when you hit water your pitch is reoriented to your camera angle even if your true pitch was straight up. Ex: Swim straight up from under water, rotate just the camera to face down, upon hitting water surface you will go straight down following the camera pitch rather than character pitch.
I don't have a mouse with my laptop so I play on my keyboard. I use the X and space buttons to go down/up and the arrow keys to move. I find it nearly impossible to stay at the surface of the water, so I've resorted to swimming under the water instead of above. Only if I adjust my direction with the right mouse button can I swim straight. But also if I adjust the camera at all (with the Home/End keys) I start swimming down again.
I noticed that this seemed to come about with one of the recent patches; one of the patches prior to cataclysm coming out. I would like to add that this movement pitch bug also affects flying. So if entering water or if flying off a ledges, my character is immediately driven downward into a dive. I am a key turner, so I move forward with W key and swim/fly with left and right with A and D respectively. When flying I correct this by holding the insert key while moving forward, but has become increasingly annoying.

Swimming is many times worse as I can rarely have my character swim along the top of the water and must instead hold the space bar and move forward so that she is jumping along the top like a strange skipping stone. When entering shallow water my character dives to the bottom and I can understand the motion sickness part as the camera is bouncing around while I try to just skim the surface.
I've experienced this when using the keyboard to control movement, but in these cases I've been using the arrow keys instead of WASD. Yes, about half of the time the forward arrow would pitch down instead of simply going forward at the current altitude/depth. It did begin quite some time ago, well before patch 4.0.1. This could often be corrected by dismounting and remounting. No problems when using the mouse exclusively to control movement.
01/02/2011 11:38 PMPosted by Athenes
I noticed that this seemed to come about with one of the recent patches; one of the patches prior to cataclysm coming out. I would like to add that this movement pitch bug also affects flying.

Oh yes, flying too. Same here.
Yeah, same problem here. The pitch of the camera is what my character follows when they start on their flying mount or when swimming. I've had this issue on two laptops and my desktop so I'm pretty sure it isn't related to keyboards or mouse settings. It also seemed to start for me after one of the recent patches (before Cata).

I've tried to move using WASD, arrow keys and mouse buttons. Each way ends up with the same result. It isn't a huge problem, just an annoyance to have to either readjust the angle every time I surface in water/land after flying. The only way I can generally avoid this is if I put the camera directly behind my character.
Yes all you have to do is touch the surface of the water!

I herb and land by dismounting while flying neutral horizon (no fear of damage from short distances as a rogue) and if I'm standing on the shore and my feet are in the water, once I mount and try to fly forward (W) I dive into the water and dismount.

Likewise if I'm flying just above a body of water and happen to just skim it, then I end up diving at a 75% angle down to the bottom. This is on multiple toons!
01/02/2011 9:30 AMPosted by Davidba
Hey gang. I can't find any other reports of this issue, but I'd definitely like to look into it for you. I've been unable to replicate what you are describing on my own characters, so I'd like some information from you to help my efforts. Specifically, describe how you move your character in WoW. For example, my method is that I have my character moving forward by holding down the "W" key, and while I'm doing that I hold down the right mouse button and move my mouse to control turning and facing.

Naturally, the point of this is that I'd like to make sure that I'm controlling my character in the same way that you are while trying to replicate your reports. Thanks!

By holding down the right mouse button your are correcting the error of the forced change in direction! Fly/Travel in a horizontal direction and you will see when you touch water you dive!
Thanks for the great feedback everyone! I'll do another round of testing shortly and see what I can come up with. : )

Is your issue urgent? Need direct assistance? Contact an Accounts and Technical Services Rep! http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/company/about/contact.html

Good luck with the issue, and good gaming!