Healers taking the brunt of the Cataclysm

General Discussion
Prev 1 77 78 79 84 Next
The changes to healing in Cataclysm have really given me much less of a margin of error then I once had (which has proved to really put strain on me since not only I do not hold too well under pressure or rushed, but I also not the fastest responder). Being that I was already rather mana conscious in WotLK, I tend to have the inverse problem more than the normal one, I tend to underheal, something I'm still working on rectifying without swinging into the opposite extreme.

Then again, I've never healed or even reached endgame content in any expansion so my experiences don't count for too much.

12/13/2010 9:48 AMPosted by Klaern
It sounds like a lot of healers need to learn how and when to use their spells again... For example, flash of light is for emergencies, not spamming like it was in Wrath.

Umm...when? When we have to is when a tank's life bar is lowering fast. When we have to is when the team's life bars are lowering fast. If we don't do all we can, we get crap for it. When we do and it isn't enough, we get crap for it. It's hard being a healer, period, because of the party's expectations of a healer. That's why I'm determined never to heal again.

In recent dungeons (levels 65-69) I have found it extremely difficult. This is mainly because I also get attacked by creatures a lot. I have to run away, or use attack powers to defend myself. As I wasn't protected like I should have been. I would have to use big mana potions (costing me at min. 1g each) 3-8 times during a dungeon. And this is with over 700 spell power, thanks to a rare staff and added power at much expense to myself. It would all be worth it though if more players had better respect for healers.

But sometimes all the mana in the world isn't enough.

Example: Your tank leads the team into a room (as you'd expect) and suddenly you're overwhelmed by enemy. Big ones, skinny ones, short ones, tall ones--you get the idea. Life bars are falling fast. If they die, you die too (costing all of you more in armor repairs.) So, might as well spend it on mana potions. You focus on the tank of course, resorting to the healing wave to keep him alive. You click on other DPSers and wave them (to save them.) You have to click on each one while you do this, taking more time. Levels are falling faster. Guess what? Someone's gonna die. You can pretty much decide which one because you see the levels and know you only have so much time to work with. Then you rez them (assuming everyone didn't die) and see if they're nice or hateful about it.

One annoying change in Cata for healers is this: Before, I could charge a healing spell and the last second--seeing someone else's life bar dropping far lower--I could switch over to that person and save them. Now if I do this, the healing effect goes straight to the first player I clicked on. You have to click on the second player and cast again in order to heal them. Even if you managed to save them, this is still more time lost. It's only seconds here but they're very valuable to us.

Edit: of course I always used the least-mana-draining spells as much as possible. I've even been criticized for doing this. Even though large heals were not needed yet. Sheesh, I won't miss it.
12/17/2010 2:11 PMPosted by Hirano

Heck, in fact, I'm actually contributing to the frustration of others, as I simply stopped healing. And I will not resume healing unless things change -- if things changes for the better, then blizz can have my business again and I will resume paying 15 dollars a month for their service.

I canceled too, and I was one of only three people playing a healer spec in my guild. My sub is up Jan 1 and I'm not even interested in logging in to use the rest of my time.

like I said earlier, you cant have my stuff. it's being donated to the shelter for battered healers. Dont believe GC when he tells you its your fault that he has to hurt you. Its his problem.

/onTopic

Making choices about what spells to cast based on efficiency SUCKS. its boring, painful, lame, puts us at odds with groups instead of inducing teamwork, and forces more bar and CD watching and less time for interesting responsive play and participation in the physical environment and the encounters.
Just play DPS or Tank.

I've changed classes before because GC killed my spec.

Not interested in doing it again.

I'm done making up for bad design with more effort on my part.

--
Making choices about what spells to cast based on efficiency SUCKS. its boring, painful, lame, puts us at odds with groups instead of inducing teamwork, and forces more bar and CD watching and less time for interesting responsive play and participation in the physical environment and the encounters.
I canceled too, and I was one of only three people playing a healer spec in my guild. My sub is up Jan 1 and I'm not even interested in logging in to use the rest of my time.

Several other healers in my guild left as well already. Kinda feel bad for the one that bought a new PC to play cata. I think he was more pissed off about that than how bad the game was for him.
I dread any group with melee dps.

I can generally heal a tank who stands in the fire, but not 2 or 3 melee who do, without OOMing before an encounter is over (boss fights mostly, but also some of the pre-nerfed trash in Halls and the like).

I don't understand why they don't move.

I simply don't ever queue without people I don't already know anymore, and I really doubt I ever will any time soon (read - before Heroics are faceroll again - as so many people only know how to play faceroll style).

I hope there are other healers out there who do queue random - good luck to you. I'm tired of the "fun" and "interesting" decision of whether I let the dps who didn't move die now, or heal him and be OOM so the tank can die later. That's simply not a decision I want to make in a "game" that's supposed to be fun.

Oh, and then get yelled at by random stupid for not saving them. Does that still happen?
More things I hate about cata healing :

OK, work my ass off and actually keep everyone alive for a big trash pack or boss, but of course I've been OOM and scraping by for the last 30 seconds - 2 min of the encounter and everyone's health bars are at 30%.

I drink.

I heal everyone up. Group thinks "woo! gtg!" Tank starts pulling.

BUT I HAVE TO DRINK AGAIN FOR THE NEXT PULL.

Drinking twice every pull = fun for... who, the guys making the water? wtf?

--

edit : for WoW forums who think someone is getting graped every time [rap*] is included in a word.
It seems to me that the problem is my mana bar doubled to tripled cool but everyones health tripled and my biggest heals ie greater healing wave or healing surge, which cost almost 7k mana, only heal for about 20-30k. Meanwhile tanks are sitting at 120k+ and dps around 100k in heroics so I have to cast my biggest heals 3 or more times just to keep people alive. Meanwhile after very few cast just to put a dent in a tanks health im already at half mana. Granted its usually because of a mistake or no cc but if this is the case than the dungeon finder is pointless. Guild runs make things alot better but sometimes i just wanna grind points.
I really think I'm the last living healer who doesn't mind queueing for a random by myself and just toughing it out. o_O' Yes, I OOM. Yes, it sucks. But I more often than not find ways to make the battle last.

Sorry to the DPS who died in place of the tank or myself. :D
It's definitely challenging to heal in Cataclysm and that's by design. We want players to pick and choose what spells to use and when. Those in your group will also
need to be conscious
of whether or not they're putting out enough DPS, taking too much damage, and more. You'll probably be pulling out more "tricks" from your bag than you've been doing in awhile. You're also going to miss a time or two, run out of mana at a bad time and find yourself trying to figure out just what went wrong. Even experienced healers are going to have to dig their heels in a bit.

That said, we're keeping an eye out for how healing is going and should we feel there need to be adjustments, we'll make them. As many have noticed, we're starting to get a larger population of level 85 players who will be running through the content and getting better gear to compliment their spells and abilities. That should help some.

That right there is a key thing. Not many People are conscious By today's World.
I hope that things both in WoW and in Life get good :)
(conscience and conscious are both different in meaning, but they are both pretty useful although Consious is extremely useful )
12/13/2010 10:34 AMPosted by Nethaera
need to be conscious
12/13/2010 9:48 AMPosted by Klaern
It sounds like a lot of healers need to learn how and when to use their spells again... For example, flash of light is for emergencies, not spamming like it was in Wrath.

Ha...I tried telling a rogue that when I was in ramps on my dk on my second account...he told me to quit being a deathtard and that I've never had a healer in my life...

<--Dual specced holyHit/HolyHeals

Spam that exorcism baby! (my battle cry in holy hit spec...which I still need to fiddle with)

I don't have one for holy.

I've taken to haste though because it speeds up my Holy Light spell...only by a lot.

I've also learned to LOVE Daybreak talent.

It means I can press more than one button over...and over...
I've enjoyed playing my healer now because I actually have to pay attention for a change, but different strokes for different folks.
12/17/2010 3:55 PMPosted by Eset
More things I hate about cata healing :

OK, work my ass off and actually keep everyone alive for a big trash pack or boss, but of course I've been OOM and scraping by for the last 30 seconds - 2 min of the encounter and everyone's health bars are at 30%.

I drink.

I heal everyone up. Group thinks "woo! gtg!" Tank starts pulling.

BUT I HAVE TO DRINK AGAIN FOR THE NEXT PULL.

Drinking twice every pull = fun for... who, the guys making the water? wtf?

--

edit : for WoW forums who think someone is getting graped every time [rap*] is included in a word.

You don't have to do it that way. Once the tank's health bar is full, he's going to pull. Don't fill it. You don't owe them a full health bar all the time. If they're a hyperactive tank then throw a slow HoT on the tank and DPS once the encounter is over and drink while it ticks. One drink. The DPS can feel free to eat or bandage or something. Keep them alive during the encounter, don't overdo it by feeling like it's your sole responsibility for topping people off all the time. Again, all people are supposed to take some responsibility for their own health. Or stop playing. Or take up guitar. Or whatever. I'm not sorry you don't like the game, I'm enjoying it a lot. It feels less "twitchy" and more "tactical".
The sad part is i keep getting the blame and kicked from groups becasue of dps not fighting well enough or tnaks using the proper spells...they just cycle thru healers like **!*!s...its an awful feeling really to get kciked over and over again when you have the right gear...there is no learning curve...its vicious and no one cares...

the dungeon finding tool is terrible...sometimes u get what you need the others u get ...healer, tank, dk dps, war dps and warlock...what are u supose to do with that?!?!

It's doesnt matter...they are like...um ur not healing us!

Im gonna go lvl my other healers...sahmmy and priest and allow the other players learn to cc and tank again...or I will aslo quit the game...i come here for distraction and entertainment...i got stress at work dont need it on my off time.
12/17/2010 6:53 PMPosted by Emarkham
I'm not sorry you don't like the game, I'm enjoying it a lot.

You we're so close to finishing that post without being a jerk.

Mebbe next time.
I got kicked for not filling everyone up!

FYI!
DPS has taken the brunt of the cataclysm... you guys and your 5-10 second queues along with tanks need to go have some victory tea and enjoy the 15 dungeons you get to run in place of our one.

Us DPS would rather get trolled every dungeon we run rather than get one dungeon every hour.