Better Living through Technology!(new2macros)

New Player Help and Guides
Prev 1 2 3 4 8 Next
01/31/2011 1:57 PMPosted by Icedragon
Is there a macro (or addon) that can switch talent specs? I do most of my solo grinding as rdps, but do instances as a healer. Switching between the two without having to go into the talent menu every time would be nice.

Yes.

/usetalents [spec:1] 2; 1

If you're in your primary spec, it'll switch you to the second one. If you're not in your primary spec, it'll switch you to your primary spec. It's just a toggle.

Sweet! Thanks a lot.
Thanks for this information, Raygecow -its been a great help to me in learning macros!

One concept that thoroughly frustrated me for a while is the conflict between keybinds with explicit modifiers and macros with modifiers. Before reading this thread, I would bind my action bar as 1 - 5 for the first five slots and shift-1 - shift-5 for the last five slots (for example). Macros with a shift modifier would fail to work properly since I defined a slot explicitly with the shift modifier.

For example, I place a macro (/cast [mod:shift] spell1; spell2) into the first slot (executable by pressing '1') - I could never use spell1 in this macro because I already defined slot 6 as shift-1.
Hi!
Im not so good in macro ..actually Im pretty bad!! ...Reading all thoses treads helped a lot.. BUt Im still having an issue tho on one macro I would like to make. If any of you can help me I would greatly appreciate. Here is what I wanna do :

When I left click the macro, I wanna be able to say on trade chat : ''Lfw (im gonna link my profession)

When I right click the macro, I wanna open my profession panel.

** I don't want to do the 2 things at the same time **

Thanks in advance for any help you guys can provide!
EDIT: Whoops. Where's that "delete post" button when you need it?
02/01/2011 2:24 PMPosted by Klöey
When I left click the macro, I wanna be able to say on trade chat : ''Lfw (im gonna link my profession)

When I right click the macro, I wanna open my profession panel.

I don't believe that /say allows conditionals, so this is probably impossible without an addon. Ask in the UI/Macros forum (http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/1011693/) for further clarification.
I actually have a macro to link my LFW profession:

/2 Lfw (linked my profession)

It works.. i just wanna add an other action to allow me to open my profession book when i right click the macro..

Thx tho for the uimacro forum link and I'll keep working on this :)

02/01/2011 3:23 PMPosted by Klöey
I actually have a macro to link my LFW profession:

/2 Lfw (linked my profession)

It works.. i just wanna add an other action to allow me to open my profession book when i right click the macro..

Thx tho for the uimacro forum link and I'll keep working on this :)

I think /stopmacro could help you:

/cast [btn:2] (yourprofessionhere)
/stopmacro [btn:2]
/2 Lfw (yourprofessionlink)
Ok - here is my problem. I set the tank as focus (/focus) and throughout the encounters I want to be able to directly cast at the tank's target, via "/cast [@focustarget] <spellname>" without losing my current target. I am healing and the last thing I want to do is spam heals on myself because the boss is targeted.

here is my current macro

/cast [@focustarget, nomod] Judgement; [@focustarget, harm, mod:shift] Hammer of Justice

However, no matter the situation, I lose my current target. How can I resolve this so I cast at a target without changing targets?
Attacks and spells which can start autoattack will always switch your target in order to do so. You might be able to partially patch this up with /targetlasttarget.

I don't play a healer, but my understanding is that a preferable way to set that up is to leave attacks alone and macro *heals* to use either @focus or @mouseover.
casting judgement is the primary way for pally healers to get mana back.

edit::

tried this

/cast [@focustarget, harm, mod:shift] Hammer of Justice; Judgement
/stopattack
/targetlasttarget

doesn't work

also tried clear target instead of stop attack - nothing works... Next idea?
casting judgement is the primary way for pally healers to get mana back.

edit::

tried this

/cast [@focustarget, harm, mod:shift] Hammer of Justice; Judgement
/stopattack
/targetlasttarget

doesn't work

also tried clear target instead of stop attack - nothing works... Next idea?

It doesn't work because your syntax is wrong. It's "@focus" not "@focustarget" as a condition. Try this.

#showtooltip
/cast [@focus,harm][mod:shift] Hammer of Justice; Judgement
/stopattack

If you have a focus target that's hostile and you're holding Shift, you'll cast Hammer of Justice. Otherwise you'll hit Judgement.
Then you'll stop attacking.

You don't need the targeting function since your target won't change - you're casting directly at the focus with the macro, instead of normally targeting your focus and casting the spell.
1. He really does mean "@focustarget", since the intention is to cast these attacks on the target of his focus (his tank).

2. I've just run the experiment again, and Judgement really does change your target as part of its spell effect, even if the macro says [@focus] with the intention of not changing.
Edit: nvm, already stated and embellished upon...I should really remember to look at how many pages are after the post I'm quoting! :-)

Wow, seems like everything's (finally) getting stickied all of a sudden. Yay! :D
There used to be a macro, it was a roll over macro for decursing/dispelling, that would stop your roll over cast if there was nothing to dispel. I've been trying to find it but no luck, and I'm not very good at creating complicated macros, so I'm not help either. Anyway, if anyone knows how to make a macro including Dispel Magic or Cure Disease, that would be awesome. Please help!
02/21/2011 7:21 PMPosted by Keleria
There used to be a macro, it was a roll over macro for decursing/dispelling, that would stop your roll over cast if there was nothing to dispel. I've been trying to find it but no luck, and I'm not very good at creating complicated macros, so I'm not help either. Anyway, if anyone knows how to make a macro including Dispel Magic or Cure Disease, that would be awesome. Please help!

The interface itself won't let you cast those spells if the target has nothing to dispel. That's not a macro - that's how the game is designed.

You can make a macro that won't cast the spell if the target is dead, doesn't exist, or hostile.

/cast [@target,exists,help,nodead] Spell Name Here

If the target exists, is friendly, and is not dead, then the macro will cast Spell Name Here.

You can also do a mouseover version, which uses the target under your cursor instead of your selected target. Healers often prefer using mouseovers because they have to move quickly, especially on critical moves like dispels.

/cast [@mouseover,exists,help,nodead] Spell Name Here

If the mouseover target exists, is friendly, and is not dead, then then macro will cast Spell Name Here.
anyone know if there's a way to pause a command?

EG.
#showtooltip Two Forms
/caset Two Forms
---> This is where I want the pause for 5 -6 seconds
/Roar

Problem I'm having is that the Roar is being exicuted right away and it's kinda a joykill.

from what I read there used to be a "/pause" command and a "/in [x]" x=time is seconds command but thats not working anymore.. any suggestions?

/castsequence reset=5 Two Forms, Roar

That will cast Two Forms, then change the button to Roar for 5 seconds, where it will turn back into Two Forms after the 5 seconds are over or Roar has been used.
Is there a way to put a range check conditional in a macro. For example, could I create a macro that would use Wing Clip if my target is in melee range and Concussive Shot otherwise?
02/25/2011 8:53 AMPosted by Zegan
Is there a way to put a range check conditional in a macro. For example, could I create a macro that would use Wing Clip if my target is in melee range and Concussive Shot otherwise?

No. Macros cannot judge distance.

/castsequence reset=5 Two Forms, Roar

That will cast Two Forms, then change the button to Roar for 5 seconds, where it will turn back into Two Forms after the 5 seconds are over or Roar has been used.

That won't work because Roar is not a spell, it's an emote. Only spells, abilities, and items can be used in a /castsequence line. The macro the person wants is not possible to write.