Better Living through Technology!(new2macros)

New Player Help and Guides
Prev 1 3 4 5 8 Next
deleted .... found answer on UI/Macros forum
no matter the conditions healers should not be casting attack spells on targets in pve battles, the tanks / dps are there to attack and get aggro/ do dps, if the heals needs to cast dps spells, or even gets the chance, both the dps and tank are epic fails, no macro should ever be made to help healers cast attacks in pve battles.
03/02/2011 5:34 PMPosted by Airbourne
no matter the conditions healers should not be casting attack spells on targets in pve battles

Not necessarily true.

There is a build of Discipline priest described as "Smitespec" which uses Smite regularly. When Smite hits an enemy, nearby allies are healed. Also, Smiting builds up charges of Evangelism, which can be used to activate Archangel, which reduces mana costs and increases healing for several seconds.

The build is more for PvP healing, supposedly, but other Disc priests have reported success with it in PvE healing situations as well. I've played around with it on one of my priests; it's a rather frantic style of healing, but can be fun too. When do you Smite, and when do you heal? How do you balance the two?

The other healing specs in other classes also seem to have talents that support the occasional attack every once in a while. For instance, Restoration shamans have the talent Telluric Currents, which restores mana when the shaman uses Lightning Bolt. If the healer has a chance, why not use a few Lightning Bolts in a fight to take advantage of that?

the tanks / dps are there to attack and get aggro/ do dps, if the heals needs to cast dps spells, or even gets the chance, both the dps and tank are epic fails, no macro should ever be made to help healers cast attacks in pve battles.

Actually, if the healers gets a chance to cast attack spells, I consider it the mark of a really good tank (for keeping aggro and not requiring non-stop healing) and good DPS (for not pulling aggro randomly).

I think Blizzard has stated they wanted healers to be able to have something to do in a fight besides stand there and heal constantly. If you've ever healed, surely you know there are really dull spots while healing sometimes.

So long as the healer is skilled enough to know how to balance attacking (and potential risks of pulling aggro, though again--if the healer is in a position to fight, the tank probably has things well under control) and healing, why not allow them to contribute to the fight? With the potential benefits added to attacking with certain abilities, I don't think that your statement "no matter the conditions healers should not be casting attack spells in PvE" is true.
no matter the conditions healers should not be casting attack spells on targets in pve battles, the tanks / dps are there to attack and get aggro/ do dps, if the heals needs to cast dps spells, or even gets the chance, both the dps and tank are epic fails, no macro should ever be made to help healers cast attacks in pve battles.

Are you seriously that dense? Have you even looked at a healer's talent tree in the past three months?

Cerylia already mentioned Smite spec for priests, but Restoration druids have DPS talents as well. In fact Blizzard changed those talents specifically to make resto druids pick them up, as they were previously just "fun" talents. Now they're nearly required to heal because of the procs.

If your healer is starting to do DPS it means that they don't need to be healing. Why? It could be several things.
-the tank is good
-the DPS aren't stupid
-the encounter is trivial and not many heals are actually needed

What do you expect your healer to do? Stand around doing absolutely nothing? We did that all through Wrath of the Lich King and it was terrible. Healers were rolling with damage-dealing talents years ago because they were that bored with running heroics and lower raids every day and week where people hardly needed heals. Hell, I even healed instances as a Moonkin because it was that easy and the extra damage was pretty nice.

Blizzard wants healers to toss out a little DPS, so saying that healers should never DPS or use DPS macros is just ignorant and shows how little you actually know about the state of the game itself. Come back when you know what you're talking about.
02/25/2011 3:45 PMPosted by Icedragon
[quote="21401743235"]Is there a way to put a range check conditional in a macro. For example, could I create a macro that would use Wing Clip if my target is in melee range and Concussive Shot otherwise?

dont consider myself the master hunter but isnt ther a range limitation on conc shot so u wouldnt be able to use it if targ was in melee range anyway and allow you to set up a simple /cast conc shot
/cast wing clip

so it'll try to cast conc shot first pop an error msg for targ to close then switch to wing clip instantly?
03/05/2011 10:36 AMPosted by Synisterlock
[quote="21401743235"]Is there a way to put a range check conditional in a macro. For example, could I create a macro that would use Wing Clip if my target is in melee range and Concussive Shot otherwise?

dont consider myself the master hunter but isnt ther a range limitation on conc shot so u wouldnt be able to use it if targ was in melee range anyway and allow you to set up a simple /cast conc shot
/cast wing clip

so it'll try to cast conc shot first pop an error msg for targ to close then switch to wing clip instantly?

No. That's automation which isn't possible in a macro. It doesn't do if-then-else logic, just if-then via conditions. You also cannot attempt to cast two spells at once if both are on the GCD. Once you get an error in the macro, nothing else will go off and the macro will stop running the sequence.
?[/quote]
No. That's automation which isn't possible in a macro. It doesn't do if-then-else logic, just if-then via conditions. You also cannot attempt to cast two spells at once if both are on the GCD. Once you get an error in the macro, nothing else will go off and the macro will stop running the sequence.[/quote]

what i was basing that off of is im lvling a warrior and a have charge and battle shout maccrod together but if i get to close charge wont work but he'll still do the battle shout or sometimes when charge is on cd but shout isnt ill press the maccro wont charge but will still shout so thot it would be the same thing
03/06/2011 1:11 PMPosted by Synisterlock
what i was basing that off of is im lvling a warrior and a have charge and battle shout maccrod together but if i get to close charge wont work but he'll still do the battle shout or sometimes when charge is on cd but shout isnt ill press the maccro wont charge but will still shout so thot it would be the same thing

Charge is not on the global cooldown, like I just said. You cannot use two abilities that are on the GCD and macros cannot check for range/distance.
A note for the newbies like my self.

#showtooltip
/castsequence [mod]Shield of the Righteous; reset=target Holy Wrath, Consecrate, Holy Wrath

The reset=target has to be after the [mod] otherwise it won't read the tooltip.
A note for the newbies like my self.

#showtooltip
/castsequence [mod]Shield of the Righteous; reset=target Holy Wrath, Consecrate, Holy Wrath

The reset=target has to be after the [mod] otherwise it won't read the tooltip.

You can clean that up so it's easier to read. Combining a castsequence with something that isn't in the sequence is messy and hard to modify later down the road.

#showtooltip
/cast [mod:alt] Shield of the Righteous
/castsequence reset=target Holy Wrath, Consecrate, Holy Wrath

Replace the [mod:alt] with [mod:shift] or [mod:ctrl] if you feel so inclined. And I think it's possible to drop the second Holy Wrath into its own /cast line below the castsequence, but I'm not entirely sure on it. The above macro should work.
OK I am nerw to the World of Macros and setting it up and have read the guide and it still does NOT work. I tried doing a Sequential Macros butr something is amiss??

Here is what I did.

Brought up the Macros screen. clicked the ?mark icon and typed in Test.
I then inserted the following line for the Macros, I used BT,RB & BT:

/ CastSequence Bloodthirst, Ragingblow, Bloodthirst..
Now when I hit the Macro button in my UI on #2 slot the Spells do not come up.. I see some other things come up but not BT or RB??

Have I done the Macros wrong?? I am on a test Dummy and not sure what I am doing wrong.. I also followed and am using he Guide posted in the Warrior Section and used that rotation for my own??
I am currently testing to see what works better then will make a final Macros but I can't seem to get it working correctly??
03/22/2011 7:01 PMPosted by Lugaidos
/ CastSequence Bloodthirst, Ragingblow, Bloodthirst..

I think it's a syntax (formatting) error.

#showtooltip
/castsequence Bloodthirst, Raging Blow

That's all you need. The #showtooltip will display the tooltip/icon of the next spell in the sequence if you picked the ? as the macro's icon. Make sure you type or shift-click spells into the macro EXACTLY as they are titled. Macros are case-sensitive so if you don't capitalize your spells, it won't work properly. They're rather finicky.

Castsequences work with multiple triggers (either pushing the macro's button or clicking it). The first trigger fires off the first spell, the second trigger does the second spell, and so on. See if the one I wrote works.
So, I am brand new to World of Warcraft. Many years ago, I played Star Wars Online pretty regularly and had macros for everything. I think in this game they wouldn't be kosher, considering leveling up your survey in SWO took hours and hours of sitting in one place and doing nothing, so you had a loop macro that let you survey, take sample, sit, stand and repeat over and over.
I understand the fighting macros, I had those, but I haven't seen any mention of looting type macros.
For example, is there a way to set up a macro when your hunting to open the animal, take all, skin, take all.
If this was all ready covered, I apologize in advance.

Thanks!
03/27/2011 4:40 PMPosted by Ysgard
For example, is there a way to set up a macro when your hunting to open the animal, take all, skin, take all.

No. Macros cannot loot or skin for you because that depends on clicking something in the game world, not the interface.

You can toggle auto-loot in the Interface options though. You'll automatically loot everything when a loot window pops up, barring items you roll on while in a group.
I'm a Hunter tying to make a macro that will cast Hunter's Mark, Serpent Sting, and Arcane Shot. This is what I have:

#showtooltip Hunter's mark
/cast Hunter's Mark
/castsequence reset=3 Serpent Sting, Arcane Shot

The problem is that they all work except Serpent Sting. No matter what I've tried, I can't get Serpent Sting to cast in a sequence macro. Any ideas?
I'm a Hunter tying to make a macro that will cast Hunter's Mark, Serpent Sting, and Arcane Shot. This is what I have:

#showtooltip Hunter's mark
/cast Hunter's Mark

The problem is that they all work except Serpent Sting. No matter what I've tried, I can't get Serpent Sting to cast in a sequence macro. Any ideas?

Hunter's Mark is on the Global Cooldown, which is why the macro isn't working. You cannot have two abilities firing at the same time if they're on the GCD. Try this instead:

#showtooltip
/cast [button:2] Hunter's Mark

If you right-click the macro, it'll do Hunter's Mark.
If you left-click the macro, it'll do Serpent Sting. Click again and it'll do Arcane Shot.

This also allows you to put Hunter's Mark on something without shooting at it, which means fewer fumbled pulls by the hunter in a group.
I figured out (reading other macros) that I could do:

#showtootip Hunter's Mark
/castsequence Hunter's Mark, Serpent Sting, Kill Command

What I have to do is press the button once for each spell in the list. So I press it once, I get Hunter's Mark. Press it a second time, and I get Serpent Sting, and so on. This works for me. Now I have all three spells on one button, thus freeing up more space for more spells.
I wanted to thank you IceDragon. I figured out how to use your macro, and it is a much better solution than the /castsequnce that I was using. :)
04/06/2011 02:59 PMPosted by Shyr
I wanted to thank you IceDragon. I figured out how to use your macro, and it is a much better solution than the /castsequnce that I was using. :)

You're welcome :) I have similar ones on my hunter to save actionbar real estate as well.
i typed in the exact /cast [@mouseovertarget,help,nodead] holy shock and nothing happened..... did i do something wrong?