Looking for the right class

New Player Help and Guides
Hello everyone,

I am sure there are TONS of forum posts about this but I am in a bind. I don't know what class to boost. All my friends will be playing WoD so I figured I would boost to 90 and play WoD with them. My problem is I am not sure what I would like to play. I have played MMOs in the past and these are the classes I really enjoyed.

SWTOR, Operative and Sith Sorcerer
DAOC, Vampiir and Skald
COH, Mastermind
FFXIV, Scholar
FFXI, Blue Mage

The trend I notice is that I like to be able to solo really well. I want to be able to heal myself, take little damage, do damage... basically a jack of all trades. Druid would fit well... except I don't really enjoy the shape changing.

Please help me!
09/06/2014 03:47 PMPosted by Dhaen
All my friends will be playing WoD

My first thought is that if you're new to the game, using your level 90 boost might cause you more frustration than it's worth. When you level up from 1 to 90, you learn as you go along how to use a few dozen different spells by just using them one at a time, and gradually working with more and more. Getting hit with ALL of those spells at once might be overwhelming. So a boost might be useful for instance if you already know how to play a particular class, but just want to try the same thing on the opposite faction, or on a different server.

All my friends will be playing WoD

The key words I see here are "will be playing." So you have time to level up a new toon in order to play with them.

But as to which class to choose, based on this comment:
The trend I notice is that I like to be able to solo really well.

I would suggest rolling one of the classes that has a pet to help you fight: Hunter or Warlock.
Thanks for the quick reply. I am new to CATA and MOP. I played Vanilla to WOTLK.

My plan was to perhaps level to 60, then boost before the release.

Hunter seems stale, just pew pew. Is that true? Is there a more exciting specc?
09/06/2014 04:04 PMPosted by Dhaen
Thanks for the quick reply. I am new to CATA and MOP. I played Vanilla to WOTLK.

Ah, I see. Then go for it!

Is there a more exciting specc?

hehe, No, I think hunters are the most exciting spec :D

Hunter seems stale, just pew pew.

I suppose it's all perspective. In dungeons, I sort of see myself as a fullback playing sweep in front of the goalie. I'l pick up anything that gets by the tank and make sure the healer doesn't get whacked. In pvp the role is even more varied. With your mobility you have pretty much the most tools for controlling where a fight takes place. And I guess the whole idea of having a pet fighting beside you who you have to heal, and give commands to and take care of always kept me from seeing hunters as just pew pew.

But if you want something more challenging, role a healer. Maybe even try a paladin.
The last time I played a Hunter, even a little, was in Vanilla.

Has much changed?

Warlock I played a little in WOTLK, I hear tons has changed for them.
09/06/2014 04:22 PMPosted by Dhaen
The last time I played a Hunter, even a little, was in Vanilla.

Has much changed?

I believe a ton has changed for every class. I only started playing in cata, but from what I understand, the biggest changes are that you no longer need to buy ammo, and the only primary stat you'd be interested in is Agility, and not intellect or spirit. In Cataclysm hunters got camouflage which is basically stealth while you're standing still, but it can be glyphed to allow stealth while moving. And in MoP they took away a separate slot for ranged weapons for all classes, so hunters now equip a bow in the mainhand slot. They no longer have any melee attacks, and there is no minimum distance at which you can make ranged shots.

Perhaps it might be beneficial to you to watch some of these crash course videos to get a sense for the current style of play for each class:
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/14005221
09/06/2014 03:59 PMPosted by Rafaella
My first thought is that if you're new to the game, using your level 90 boost might cause you more frustration than it's worth. When you level up from 1 to 90, you learn as you go along how to use a few dozen different spells by just using them one at a time, and gradually working with more and more. Getting hit with ALL of those spells at once might be overwhelming.

Note that characters who are boosted to 90 after the release of Warlords will not be given all of their spells and talents at once; instead, as you play through the introductory quest chain in Tanaan Jungle, spells will be given to you a few at a time to allow you to acclimate to them.

Hunters have changed a lot since Vanilla; the biggest change being the switch from mana to Focus, which acts a lot more like a Rogue's energy bar. In general pets are more important to damage and there's a lot more pet management (e.g. abilities that cause your pet to do something, pet CDs), especially for Beast Mastery as you might expect. Hunters are also one of the most mobile ranged DPS classes and will probably be the most mobile in Warlords. They have a very strong soloing/world content toolkit as well.
There are only three race/class combinations in the game.
1. Orc Hunters
2. Dwarf Hunters
3. Targets

Seriously though, leveling to 60 before boosting is a good strategy.
A lot of folks find class recommendations by copy and pasting the questionnaire with their answers to it that is found in this sticky
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/1021054075
But as to which class to choose, based on this comment:
The trend I notice is that I like to be able to solo really well.

I would suggest rolling one of the classes that has a pet to help you fight: Hunter or Warlock.

If you're into melee classes, don't forget Death Knights and Paladins. Shamans and Druids are able to solo as well.

Personally, I'd rather just pop a survival CD every now and then rather than having to manage a pet. Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with wanting a pet to help you in a fight. I just don't personally enjoy it.