Cataclysm dungeons are awesome

General Discussion
1 2 3 5 Next
You heard me, these dungeons are drippin swag. There are actual mechanics, there is story without ridiculous monologues or cutscenes, and there is, dare I say, an actual slimmer of challenge involved, even after nerfs.

These are the only dungeons I really, truly, enjoy leveling my alts on. Hate me, I don't care. I love it when people die due to completely stupidity due to not following simple, fair mechanics, unlike other dungeons which my cat could do. Too bad I'm in Pandaland now once again, my face is imminently about to roll all over my keyboard.
I remember how bad people freaked out on these forums during the release of cata because they were so hard. That was the most fun I've ever had in five man content ever.
That was one of the aspects I really enjoyed about cataclysm. Not just the challenge involved, but pandas complaining about beer monsters and giant monkeys threatening to "ook you in the dooker" is a major turn-off.
No seriously, why are so many of the GD posters from ED?
09/07/2014 03:30 AMPosted by Carpemortis
That was one of the aspects I really enjoyed about cataclysm. Not just the challenge involved, but pandas complaining about beer monsters and giant monkeys threatening to "ook you in the dooker" is a major turn-off.

wut?

oh yeah... those Cataclysm Hozen and Pandaren.
Silly me.
I really liked the Cata dungeons. Finished my heroic dungeon achievements weeks after launch.

Finished it at 12/29/2010
They were trash and are still trash.
corla ftw
09/07/2014 03:56 AMPosted by Blackheart
I miss chain trapping.

I don't miss sheep pulls.
i miss cata dungeons, as you actually had to pay attention

the pandaria dungeons are just so mind numbingly boring.

IMO there should be another difficulty of dungeons, mythic dungeons

heroics will remain the same level of difficulty

mythic would be cata difficulty, and drop gear equivalent to LFR, thus making it an option for those that want a challenge in gearing, without making it "mandatory"
09/07/2014 03:26 AMPosted by Dishonoured
These are the only dungeons I really, truly, enjoy leveling my alts on. Hate me, I don't care.

Why would anyone hate you for enjoying part of a game you pay specifically to enjoy?
Cata dungeons have been nerfed into the ground but they can't nerf the fact that they have actual mechanics and cannot be mindlessly faserolled.

The last time I leveled through Cata content on an alt, maybe about four or five months ago, it was both hilarious and frustrating to see so many people fail so hard at the simplest of tasks. Take Commander Ulthok, for example, in Throne of the Tides. In the normal version, pretty much all you have to do is stay out of the goo and pew-pew. And he dies really, really fast if the group is all decked out in heirlooms and blue dungeon gear. Can't get simpler than that. right? Wrong. I had a group where no one moved out of the goo except me and the healer. The tank didn't bother to move the boss. None of the DPS moved and then started flipping out as people died one by one.
09/07/2014 03:56 AMPosted by Blackheart
Sadly the BC dungeons put them to shame before they were nerfed into meaningless oblivion. BC 5 mans were all about caution every pull was a precise and calculated event. I miss chain trapping. I'd imagine most Hunters have never heard of chain trapping.

I would get my CC assignment and back then we didnt have trap launcher. So, I would drop a trap and wait for the pull. On the pull I would draw my target to me with distracting shot and trap it. All the while during the fight watching my trap timer and laying another trap on the old one chaining my trap until the tank was ready to deal with him.

You even had to do this in raids. Every single pull in SSC was about 5 people making certain while DPSing to keep their target trapped or CCed the whole time. if you messed up your CC or were not paying attention and your mob that you were responsible for went on a rampage and wiped a 25 man raid you got chewed out.

I miss a LOT of things about TBC. I remember getting kudos from every group I ran with through Shadow Lab. Mark and pull properly, and it was smooth. Screw up even a little bit, drop Consecration just a little too close to a sheep and suddenly your smooth ride just became a roller coaster with pieces of the track missing.
I don't believe Jesus was ever "drippin swag."

And neither were Cata dungeons.
09/07/2014 04:05 AMPosted by Lavinnelly
i miss cata dungeons, as you actually had to pay attention

the pandaria dungeons are just so mind numbingly boring.

IMO there should be another difficulty of dungeons, mythic dungeons

heroics will remain the same level of difficulty

mythic would be cata difficulty, and drop gear equivalent to LFR, thus making it an option for those that want a challenge in gearing, without making it "mandatory"

Can someone explain why this very reasonable suggestion is not being done?

Will it hurt raiders? Will it force them to do mythic dungeons, making it a mandatory chore?
Will it nullify gear progression?
09/07/2014 04:35 AMPosted by Goldbrand

It would cost Blizzard a few $$$.
I think people are going to mostly like the dungeons in WoD.

I will agree that dungeons in cata were fantastic (even the za+zg remakes)

Mechanics are gameplay, mechanics are fun, how badly you get punished in not dealing with the mechanics properly is where the difficulty lies.

Players won't be forced into doing heroic dungeons for any kind of player progression so hopefully they can remain a moderate challenge.

09/07/2014 04:35 AMPosted by Goldbrand

Watcher has discussed mythic dungeons a few times but I think its more of something they would do as patch content to keep heroic dungeons relevant, you will be able to get lfr gear in wod from completing a daily challenge mode (just have to complete don't need to worry about timers)
Yeah, I loved them too. They don't work out though because the majority of people don't like to rise up to meet a challenge. They don't like losing.

They're the products of the participation trophy generation. If they participate in something they think they deserve a reward regardless of their actual performance.

Which is why we have things like LFR instead of cata heroics.
Are you talking heroics or normals...cause to this day people still wipe in heroics?