What's Downloading on the Battle.net App?

General Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 13 Next
09/22/2014 06:30 PMPosted by Aidoann
And... then they'd be responsible for all the bandwidth.

Not so short sighted, hrm?

Crepe, yes they would. Its called supporting your customers. Its called providing local support. Its what other companies do. Other companies actually MIRROR their game updates to Pacific servers.

Ten years on and the Oceanic community is still without local servers or local support.

'Considering the huge profits they make each year, Crepe, I kinda get the feeling they can afford it. Then again you knew that.

Am I actually watching someone wrestle with the concept of P2P here? What year is it down there in Australia?
Mine isn't downloading anything ;_; why?
Does this thread have to result in a debate on servers for oceanic? I mean seriously.
As some of you may have noticed the background downloader for patch 6.0.2 began today. After discovering issues with the size of the download, however, we have deactivated it for the time being. We'll let you know once when we're ready to start the 6.0.2 background downloader again, as well as provide you with some additional details on how it works and what you can expect when downloading the 6.0.2 patch in advance of its release on live realms.
Mine isn't downloading anything.
Thank you for the quick update!
09/22/2014 06:24 PMPosted by Ekati
09/22/2014 06:11 PMPosted by Jabjabpow
but 14GB is a crap tun

Look at what they're changing. They're updating the basic coding, images, and scripts of a 10 year old game. I'm surprised its only 14

many things get replaced though too, so its not going to be 14 + 26 to make 40, will prolly be 26 with 10 replaced making 30... idk numbers but i doubt its adding 14 gb on top
09/22/2014 06:43 PMPosted by Zarhym
As some of you may have noticed the background downloader for patch 6.0.2 began today. After discovering issues with the size of the download, however, we have deactivated it for the time being. We'll let you know once when we're ready to start the 6.0.2 background downloader again, as well as provide you with some additional details on how it works and what you can expect when downloading the 6.0.2 patch in advance of its release on live realms.

You put it up without checking the file size?
however, we have deactivated it for the time being.

Mine's still going, just like the energizer bunny.
After discovering issues with the size of the download, however, we have deactivated it for the time being.

It's still running here. So do I now have a broken download file. Can I resume it with no loss of file integrity or do I need to download the entire 16 gb again?:

Now its stopped.

Zarhym?Can it be resumed or do I need to download it again?
09/22/2014 06:46 PMPosted by Rìghteous
however, we have deactivated it for the time being.

Mine's still going, just like the energizer bunny.

We're in the process of stopping it, so that might be why it's still running for some people.
09/22/2014 06:11 PMPosted by Jabjabpow
but 14GB is a crap tun

It's the pre-expansion patch that's adding all the new stuff to the game so you'll be ready to go come launch day. Assuming you're buying the physical copy all you'll need to do is type in your upgrade key on this website and then launch it. At this point the disks are just a formality in case you need to reinstall.

You didn't honestly think all the new music, areas, cinematics, character models, weapon models and all the other stuff that I'm sure I've forgotten to mention was going to be some dinky little 500 MB update did you?

Tons of things to add in and I assume you don't want to have to download the full 14 GB come patch day (which I assume it two weeks from tomorrow)
It just stopped on my end, but I also restarted B.net app to unlimit the data transfer. :*(
09/22/2014 06:46 PMPosted by Crepe
You put it up without checking the file size?

I'm guessing it contained debug symbols (helps finding where are the errors) or the likes of it, which happens to dramatically increase filesize of programs. Someone dun goofed and uploaded the version with debug symbols. Again, that's just a guess.
Zarhym! Give us a date? Is 6.0.2 tomorrow or next week???
I am totally unable to get past the first screen. "Waiting on another installation or update" and nothing is happening - been like this for 10 minutes so far. Nothing is happening. Really? It's been awful customer service all around today. I pay a lot to be able to play this game and it's down about a third of the time. :(
09/22/2014 06:16 PMPosted by Aidoann
Note to Blizzard: heres another example of shortsightedness. If you'd established a server here for files this download would be done very quickly.

Peer-to-peer is a much more efficient way of sharing data. Having everyone who plays go to the same couple servers to download the information would clog things up so much. It's possible that your ISP throttles P2P transfers (they usually give stopping piracy as a reason, but it's completely ineffective, so if that's really the reason they do it, it's a stupid one), but that's really not Blizzard's fault, get a better internet connection.

Let it go, I don't mind. I can find something else to do for a while.