Lords of War

General Discussion
I really enjoyed the 'Lords of War' series. I think it's an excellent way to distill lore to folks who won't read the books and scowl the internet for the details about the lore figures. I really hope that this is something you will continue. Not necessarily all about 'Warlords of Draenor' considering the vast amount of lore that exist in the Warcraft universe.

Anyway, hat tip to team who put together 'Lords of War', they were excellent.
I agree! I would love to see more videos like that, they were beautiful. I am even more pumped for WoD now than I ever was! :3
Little sad we don't get a Blackhand video
Yup, I loved it. Blizz didn't hold back on how graphic it became. When Kargath ripped off his hand, we saw the stump. We saw the Ogre lord throw Grommash's troops heads in front of him. We saw Kilrogg's vision where he's impaled by several spears, broken teeth, and laughing as he bleeds to death. And we saw the dead Draenei mom and baby.

Well done, Blizz.
AGREED!!!!!!
I just watched these this morning and really enjoyed it. (I also liked the Pandaren video series.) Definitely made me more interested in the story and characters.
Yup, it was engaging and fun, the stories were predictable but still added more depth and interesting points to the chars, they particularly improved Kargath, Durotan and Maarad a lot.

I wish they continue in the future, and the use of in-game models 3d + the 2d anim, was sweet.

This actually made me want to play the expac a lot, and many of my friends felt like they wanted to try or come back to WoW.

The best would be to watch something like this for every patch.
I'm gonna enjoy killing all them Orcs!

And I'm REALLY glad they glossed over what happened at Aldor Rise in Maraad's video. Stuff like that usually triggers the urge to destroy things in me. So far that kind of rage has claimed a beautifully-painted metal Grey Knights Terminator model (WH40k Grey Knights Bloodtide thing), and the lives of many hundreds of Orcs in WoW (Tanaan Jungle starter area, various Shadowmoon Clan Orc towns in Shadowmoon Valley, and Aldor Rise). May have also claimed some Forsaken lives when I found out about Theresa.

Also, the Path of Glory makes me light-headed and nauseous.

But I handle those emotions by my brain suppressing the memories every time they try to resurface. Eventually if I talk about that stuff long enough, it bubbles up to the top and the rage starts again.
09/27/2014 10:27 AMPosted by Malgorie

Indeed. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely share the OP's sentiments, but I am a bit disappointed we didn't get one for the big grey guy, and Mr Not Lich King. I really would love to know what the heck is up with Blackhand's molten, Deathwingish appearance.
09/27/2014 10:13 AMPosted by Aranthor
scowl the internet

ekek
09/27/2014 12:48 PMPosted by Uggo
09/27/2014 10:13 AMPosted by Aranthor
scowl the internet

ekek

I hate that internet so much! :scowls:
I still wish they had done the last few by having one of the old horde orcs telling Vol;jin about them so the horde gets his stamp of approval to go to war. Since Thrall joins Maraad in assaulting the portal it would make sense if Thrall was telling Vol'jin about the other warlords, maybe he was told by Grom or one of the many other orcs he has talked to part of the old horde.
09/27/2014 12:52 PMPosted by Mordecaiser
I still wish they had done the last few by having one of the old horde orcs telling Vol;jin about them so the horde gets his stamp of approval to go to war. Since Thrall joins Maraad in assaulting the portal it would make sense if Thrall was telling Vol'jin about the other warlords, maybe he was told by Grom or one of the many other orcs he has talked to part of the old horde.

Agree, something like that would be cool.
Wish they did a Bkackhand and Ner'Zhul video.
They are pretty good. Rather cliche stories...but the art and voice acting was spot on.
09/27/2014 01:01 PMPosted by Lylium
Rather cliche

These days it is kind of impossible to do something that isn't cliche.
scowl

/skoul/

noun: scowl; plural noun: scowls

1. an angry or bad-tempered expression.

synonyms:

frown, glower, glare, grimace informal dirty look

"the scowl on his face"

verb: scowl; 3rd person present: scowls; past tense: scowled; past participle: scowled; gerund or present participle: scowling

1. frown in an angry or bad-tempered way.

"she scowled at him defiantly"
09/27/2014 10:27 AMPosted by Malgorie

Or Gul'Dan D:
I went back and watched the whole series to date and must say that the artwork is wonderful while the story line is both cliched and not just disturbing but disturbed. We get as "heroic" acts self-mutilation, crucifixion, cannibalism, patricide and blood guilt with a little mercy killing thrown in for good measure. Only Durotan seems to have the basic decency to understand how he's gone wrong and seek some atonement. This is not to say that the actions of the orc leaders in each chapter of the series is wrong in some way but rather that it's a narrow, at most two dimensional view of these characters that draws on cliches so old and tied that its a surprise that they have any life at all. I've seen all these stories before in some form or other done better and with more complexity.

I know that if any take notice of this critique at all it will be to deride it as naive and unmanly but I have a rather deep understanding of ancient and so-called "primitive" cultures much as the orcs of Draenor are supposed to be. The warrior in those cultures always has to atone for the deaths he brings regardless of the aggression of the enemy. Blood spilled has consequences for those who spill it. A close and critical reading of myth, legend and folklore tells anyone as much.

Perhaps Kilrogg is correct to sacrifice his hand to free himself and others. Killing their captors to escape is perfectly reasonable. However, in a real culture such a sacrifice then requires an act that demonstrates the uniqueness of that sacrifice so that the sacrifice has a larger meaning part of which is that it need not be repeated or emulated.

Maraad's in every way is the saddest of the five tales. Maraad is given an important trust in keeping safe the defenseless refujees as they escape. He violates that trust out of a combination of anger, hate and vainglory with disastrous results. Then rather than accepting his guilt Maraad channels his own failure into even greater anger, hate and vainglory to counsel general war. Far from being a tragic figure Maraad becomes just as low a thug as he believes the orcs to be. In a real warrior culture such as, for example, the Japanese samurai bushido, Maraad's honorable course would be seppuku, ritual suicide. Yet Maraad fails to accept his own guilt and King Wrynn isn't perceptive enough to resist Maraad's call to war.

I know that one or two dimensional figures are easier to write than those with three or more dimensions. Still, Blizzard has managed to do it a few times with Thrall and several of the leaders of the old dragonflights.

Diablo is a fairly boring game. The characters never flesh out in any way. Not a single NPC in that game is deeper than its toon's pixels and every plodding plot development (calling them "twists" would give them far too much credit) is telegraphed so far ahead each could be seen from outer space. What I see in Lords of War is a similar lack of depth and imagination. I've long worried that WoW is headed toward the same unimaginative end. I hope fervently that I'll be proved wrong.