Challenge Mode tips?

Hunter
I am somewhat new to the Hunter class and am not very familiar with Survival (which seems to be the go-to spec for challenge modes). Are there any specific circumstances in challenge modes that hunters do something really special? I am hoping what I lack for in skill I can partially make up with my gear.

Also, Lock and Load: when this procs, do you wait for the dot to wear off or do you use Explosive Shot as quickly as possible?
Well your gear gets scaled down and tier bonuses become inactive.
If you've got any progress on the legendary chain, use the extra socket on your weapon.

You may be called to CC mobs and when you use invis potions, get rid of your pet.

Also, spam LnL, the clipped ticks are rolled into the next dot so there's no damage loss.
Yeah, I know it gets scaled down, but I've only been doing LFR for two weeks so I'm glad to have as many gems as I do. Can't get the extra socket for the weapon unfortunately, and I don't raid (so no heirloom). Thanks for confirming the LnL bit!
Some of the BiS Challenge Mode gear is from ToT so LFR is a good way to get them. Off the top of my head, the legs off Lei Shen and the bracers off the hydra boss are BiS iirc
Why yes, I have several of those pieces. Anything to help out the damage a little bit.
Unless if you're going for realm best time you don't really require bis equipment. Did 8/9 gold on my pally last week with my raiding mates with only one experienced guildie, and all of us are wearing our SoO raiding gear.
Leatherworking drums of speed work use before invis potions.
That's good to know, does it stack with Aspect of the Pack? I hate to admit, but this Hunter was my free level 90 for purchasing WoD. I have only been doing LFR on it the past two weeks, so while I'm not extremely familiar with the class, I think I have the gist of the rotations.

For large groups of multiple mobs, is it best to Multi-Shot constantly and weave in an Explosive Trap and Glaive Toss when possible? Or only Multi-Shot and Cobra Shot? And I will be doing CMs as Survival.

Edit: Also, should my pet be Ferocity or Cunning? And is there a certain pet I should be bringing? I only have a boar and that white lion. I wasn't sure how many I could tame. I don't really know much about Stables...
You can go to a stable master and change your Active pets to Inactive. You can have 50 Hunter pets in your stables + 5 active. You should have 1 of every buff pet available to you. I have all buffs from Exotic pets(Since I'm BM ATM) and all the buffs from the non-Exotic pets. I think it is around 12 pets in all.

You should always coordinate with your group before you go in to a dungeon to see which pet they would want that way you can make sure it is in your Active slots.

Right now Ferocity is the highest DPS pet spec in a raiding environment. I believe it would also be the highest dps spec in a Challenge Mode environment as well. I have been searching on the internet but could find no mention of pet spec's for challenge mode guides.

The following is from Warcraft Hunter's Union:

12 Stable Slots to Bring All Raid Buffs
Every raiding hunter should be capable of bringing every necessary raid buff. Here then are the minimum number of pets that you’ll have to have in your stable to bring these buffs, while giving you the maximum amount of spec options — these pets will take up 12 slots in your stable:

Shale Spider (exotic)
Water Strider (exotic)
Silithid (exotic)
Core Hound (exotic)
Quilen (exotic)
Cat
Wolf or Hydra
Tallstrider or Raptor
Serpent or Hyena
Boar or Ravager
Dragonhawk or Wind Serpent
Sporebat
Wait, you have to be Beast Master for exotic pets? That's pretty lame, because I am Survival for CMs and MM for PvP..
10/02/2014 01:56 PMPosted by Konquest
Wait, you have to be Beast Master for exotic pets? That's pretty lame, because I am Survival for CMs and MM for PvP..

Yep. Exotic pets are BM only. You learn the ability Exotic Beasts at level 69 as a BM hunter that enables you to tame and use exoitic pets like Devilsaurs and Spirit Beasts.
That's good to know, does it stack with Aspect of the Pack? I hate to admit, but this Hunter was my free level 90 for purchasing WoD. I have only been doing LFR on it the past two weeks, so while I'm not extremely familiar with the class, I think I have the gist of the rotations.

For large groups of multiple mobs, is it best to Multi-Shot constantly and weave in an Explosive Trap and Glaive Toss when possible? Or only Multi-Shot and Cobra Shot? And I will be doing CMs as Survival.

Edit: Also, should my pet be Ferocity or Cunning? And is there a certain pet I should be bringing? I only have a boar and that white lion. I wasn't sure how many I could tame. I don't really know much about Stables...

Not sure if this is optimal but when I did my CMs, for mobs of more than 3 (most of the time due to huge multi pulls) I just kept multi shot and glaive toss off CD.

As for tricks and tips, off the top of my head, you can FD and despawn the three sha spawns after defeating the third boss of ToTJS, saves a few seconds. Hunters are great for the sappers in Siege. Provides a range taunt for Scholo. If you're an engineer you can try the suicide technique in SPM. Binding shot is great in almost all CMs as well
I'm aware of FD to despawn the three sha adds in Temple, but I'm not sure what you mean by the Sappers in Siege of Niuzao. They are the ones that drop the bombs on the third boss, right? You mean it's just easy for us to kill them or pick up the bombs or what? And I'm guessing the range taunt in Scholomance you are referring to is the room after the second boss before Rattlegore spawns. I just learned about the suicide run yesterday on my disc priest, holy crap that saves a ton of time if you have a Soulstone. Binding Shot is the only practical choice, since the other stun is just one target and just a second longer, and you could use Freezing Trap instead of Wyvern Sting if something needed to be CC'd for awhile.

Question: if I were to run in a group with another hunter and we had all the buffs possible, would the Goat (and fox?) 50% casting speed aoe debuff be any good?
10/04/2014 08:47 AMPosted by Konquest
Question: if I were to run in a group with another hunter and we had all the buffs possible, would the Goat (and fox?) 50% casting speed aoe debuff be any good?

I would recommend against. Most bosses are immune to reduced casting abilities, as well as stuns, slows, etc. It's better to bring a pet the provides a missing buff like crit or provides a damage increasing debuf like the Talstrider's weakened armor or the Dragonhawk's increase to magical damage.

It's physically impossible to have all the buffs and debuffs provided in a 5 man challenge mode dungeon, so both of you should be filling in the missing buffs. Our BM hunter brings 5 Qulin for their battle rezs. Another good idea would be a corehound for heroism (assuming someone else isn't bringing it).

Edit: I assumed you were talking about Challenge Modes. While I'm 95% certain the bosses in dungeons are immune to abilities like slows and reduced casting speed, I know for a fact raid bosses are immune to slows and the like. The only instance where a cc type pet could be useful in a PvE raid/dungeon situation would be in kiting adds or something of the like. Even then it would be a one off type thing. It's better to bring a pet that provides a needed buff or debuff for PvE and reserve the use of cc pets for PvP.
Engineering boots also work before invis pots, and they stack with AotC. However beware the leaking rocket fuel that will pull you out of invis and make you cry.