So what is the point of professions now?

General Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 9 Next
I only did them to have something to do when I was bored. Never made them a priority at all.
I have 2 toons that have maxed fishing though, because I wanted at lease one and the other was by accident to get the strider from the anglers. My other worthy prof is tailoring, just so I could make my own bags. :) Other than that they really don't matter to me.
Professions didn't always have a combat boost. Getting rid of that seems minor to me.

I think the gear improvement mechanism has become bloated. You get a drop but then have to enchant, gem, socket, get spell thread, get shoulder enchant, find meta gem, sort through a bazillion cuts, oh vey. It also was not always this way so saying they are getting rid if the "old way" doesn't seem accurate.

There will always be players who do not produce their own profession related items and who instead rely on buying the materials/consumables/gear off other players. So I think players who do lvl profs and work on their garrisons will still have income streams. Maybe the income will be reduced but then presumably the need for gold will also be reduced.

I like my professions and plan to continue to use and enjoy them. I did, admittedly, feel a bit let down when I initially read about many if the upcoming changes. But, the more I read into them, the better they sound. Garrisons, for example, I was worried they would be too similar to the farm model but so far they sound quite dynamic.

I am curios how tradition gold sink items will be handled.
10/14/2014 09:39 AMPosted by Urszula
10/14/2014 09:32 AMPosted by Catbuyer

Yupe, level them if they catch your fancy. Otherwise don't. No pressure.

And if you have already levelled 'em because you like them, it's like they're saying screw you, screw you very much

Why is that? If you leveled it because you liked it, you should still like it even if the combat bonus was removed.

Unless you leveled it just for the combat bonus ... in that case, you didn't really like it in the first place.
As far as I can tell....nothing.

no perks, so just selling, which is...

tailoring - bags (not a huge seller and gated for sure with cooldowns like the royal satchel)

LW/BS - no leg or belt addons anymore, armor isnt really a big seller.

JC - gems are gated/on CD. And less slots now. DOnt see this being the goldmine it was, plus no more shuffle since no green items.

Inscription - Trinkets? I know these sell well in the beginning but take a long time and will eventually be worthless.

Enchanting - Still seems good, except mats will be harder to come by since no shufflers anymore.

Alchemy - only reasonable profession left - sell pots and flasks.
10/14/2014 09:46 AMPosted by Draenybrit

Which crafted gear is BoP?

There are 3 rare craftable items (Head, Chest, and Legs) for Tailoring/LW/BS at least, like http://wod.wowhead.com/item=116427
Unless you have a huge stockpile, gold is going to be an important asset in Warlords. But, beyond that, professions are still poised as they always have been, as a way to create high end items and special rewards for you and your friends, as well as to sell or trade your masterful experience as goods and services. Beyond items that will help fill itemization gaps as you'll get into raiding, there's the standard cadre of bonus items, toys, mounts, etc. that specific professions can create. There's also a lot of interplay between which professions you have/don't have, and how your building selections in the Garrison will benefit or offset your skills.
10/14/2014 09:59 AMPosted by Mordecaí
10/14/2014 09:57 AMPosted by Bashiok
Unless you have a huge stockpile, gold is going to be an important asset in Warlords. But, beyond that, professions are still poised as they always have been, as a way to create high end items and special rewards for you and your friends, as well as to sell or trade your masterful experience as goods and services. Beyond items that will help fill itemization gaps as you'll get into raiding, there's the standard cadre of bonus items, toys, mounts, etc. that specific professions can create. There's also a lot of interplay between which professions you have/don't have, and how your building selections in the Garrison will benefit or offset your skills.

Please... Please add a Hot Air Balloon to Leatherworking!!!!

They hate flying, they won't add more flying mounts to the game, plus hard to imagine that going at 310% speed.
To answer the OP's question in a simpiler way, Garrison buildings AID a profession they don't replace it, they sell recipes and can help make mats.

No they are not "poised" as they have always been. They were, and they certainly added more options. But essentially bonuses have been removed and nothing has been added because " Beyond items that will help fill itemization gaps as you'll get into raiding, there's the standard cadre of bonus items, toys, mounts, etc. that specific professions can create" were always there in the first place.
10/14/2014 10:02 AMPosted by Draenybrit

For gods sake, add some craftable stuff directly from the bare mats, not on a daily CD. Green stuff for levels 91 and 92. Why on earth did you remove this? Professions have been useful for this for EVERY expansion up to now.

Because simplification is Blizzard's new favorite motto.

For gods sake, add some craftable stuff directly from the bare mats, not on a daily CD. Green stuff for levels 91 and 92. Why on earth did you remove this? Professions have been useful for this for EVERY expansion up to now.

+1,000 to this.
Crafting also used to be about crafting entry level greens to help with new expansions (like Jasper Rings or Arctic Chestpieces) but those have been largely eliminated (and, based on Bashiok's post, not a concern). And they used to provide max level PvP gear (the Malevolent Gladiator et al.) that I would use to help upgrade max level characters so they could more easily do dailies or TI or BGs. Not sure I'd agree with professions being "as they always have been."

As for the people who say "now we don't have to min/max with WoD professions," won't there always be an optimal setup? Won't the theorycrafters on MMO champion conclude that the best professions are X and Y with A, B and C profession buildings in your garrison?
10/14/2014 09:59 AMPosted by Mordecaí

Please... Please add a Hot Air Balloon to Leatherworking!!!!

Leatherworking's getting a saddle for a wolf. Can't fly in Draenor, so a flying mount wouldn't happen (the new Tailoring carpet is ground-only as well).
10/14/2014 10:04 AMPosted by Mcturtle

Because simplification is Blizzard's new favorite motto.

Simplification ......yes i've heard that. And remember this is not a "dumbing down"
As far as I can tell, all the professions are designed to have some form of AH moneymaker, and crafting professions having cooldowns / BoP mats that some of their moneymakers are made out of.

Min/maxing your profession choice isn't something to think about anymore, but all the professions will have benefit to your gold and to your realm's AH economy.

Nope. You shufflers shuffled too much shuffle.
As far as I can tell....nothing.

no perks, so just selling, which is...

Inscription - Trinkets? I know these sell well in the beginning but take a long time and will eventually be worthless.

Alchemy - only reasonable profession left - sell pots and flasks.

Just going after these two, for inscription, you can actually make the basic DMF card with just a Scribe's Quarters in your garrison, but it takes the profession to upgrade the DMF cards (two upgrades taking it to 665 ilvl). With a single scribe a guildie calculated it'd take 48 days to max out a single DMF card's upgrades.

With alchemy, I haven't tested it myself, but I heard you can only make a certain number of flasks per day, - you can make a few with just the alchemist building in garrison, more if you are an alchemist yourself.

From my experience on beta it's like everyone potentially has limited access to every profession via their garrison (albeit they have to choose a limited number of them due to a limited number of plots), but having the actual profession alongside the garrison building allows for some synergy, allowing you to create more or better stuff.

Ultimately, it's a huge change and a perhaps needlessly complex system. As much as the devs try to downplay it, Garrisons are a huge portion of effective gameplay, at least for people who intend to play competitively.
My characters have every profession leveled to 600. It would be redundant for me to level another production profession in order to max my fighting ability.

What a beautifully written reply. Were you an English major?