so Lone Wolf...

Hunter
What happens to Masters Call?

do we lose stampede, blink strikes, spirit bond, etc etc.. are they just blank talents if we pick Lone Wolf?
10/15/2014 12:16 AMPosted by Rekuja
What happens to Masters Call?

do we lose stampede, blink strikes, spirit bond, etc etc.. are they just blank talents if we pick Lone Wolf?

iirc you don't benefit from spirit bond/ masters call, or roar of sac if you choose lone wolf. The talent itself gimps you completely.
They just don't work, and the devs are okay with that. (Stampede is fine and will summon 5 pets if you're wondering)
wow.... way to make an awesome talent absolutely useless.

Masters Call could have at least summoned a random pet from your stables to remove your snare but i guess that thought never crossed blizz?
Dude, you and a bunch of other hunter players wanted extra damage and no pet, so you get extra damage and no pet.

Blizzard basically gave you what you wanted, ala "AD&D Second Edition GM interpreting the player's Wish spell into exactly what was said" style.
10/15/2014 12:21 AMPosted by Rekuja
wow.... way to make an awesome talent absolutely useless.

Masters Call could have at least summoned a random pet from your stables to remove your snare but i guess that thought never crossed blizz?

Oh it did, people suggested all of this stuff multiple times during the beta. Apparently Blizzard are just fine with things being broken.
Lone Wolf was suppose to be a talent that gives everyone that "Ranger" feel that they have been wanting for years. If you want a independent hunter then you shouldn't get benefits of if you had a pet out when you don't.
10/15/2014 12:30 AMPosted by Kaming
Lone Wolf was suppose to be a talent that gives everyone that "Ranger" feel that they have been wanting for years. If you want a independent hunter then you shouldn't get benefits of if you had a pet out when you don't.

I completely agree, atm though it makes talents you may have already chosen, simply not work. It's mechanically broken. Personally I think the best way to fix it is to simply bake it into the MM spec and completly re-do the affected talents for MM.
Obviously nothing like that's going to happen at this stage but it's one of many options that Blizzard could have gone with had they not been so lazy.
Answer is simple. Pick different talents. Murder of crows is better than stampede now anyways for MM/SV by a longshot . Aspect of the Iron Hawk is far from useless, as well as Exhilaration.

Point being, you have options if you want to go lone wolf. That's the sacrifice you make for wanting no pet.
10/15/2014 12:44 AMPosted by Sabrescene
I completely agree, atm though it makes talents you may have already chosen, simply not work. It's mechanically broken. Personally I think the best way to fix it is to simply bake it into the MM spec and completly re-do the affected talents for MM.
Obviously nothing like that's going to happen at this stage but it's one of many options that Blizzard could have gone with had they not been so lazy.

Er, why wouldn't you just pick different talents, then? I don't see anything mechanically broken about this at all.
10/15/2014 12:26 AMPosted by Kabbie
Dude, you and a bunch of other hunter players wanted extra damage and no pet, so you get extra damage and no pet.

Blizzard basically gave you what you wanted, ala "AD&D Second Edition GM interpreting the player's Wish spell into exactly what was said" style.

Wait a second who the !@#$ wanted this? Please show me threads. I've never met any hunter nor have I ever wanted some trash talent like "Lone Wolf." Seems like Blizzard just got lazy and said hey let's give hunters this talent bait so other classes will quit complaining about their pets being "OP".
10/15/2014 04:10 AMPosted by Gìmli
10/15/2014 12:26 AMPosted by Kabbie

Wait a second who the !@#$ wanted this? Please show me threads. I've never met any hunter nor have I ever wanted some trash talent like "Lone Wolf." Seems like Blizzard just got lazy and said hey let's give hunters this talent bait so other classes will quit complaining about their pets being "OP".

No, actually, it has been requested a lot as far back as vanilla. It might not have been one of the topmost requested features but it definitely has been oft requested. I know I used to participate in threads about it a lot in BC and Wrath. But it's just one of those things we never actually expected to happen since pets are like a total component to the class.

Frankly I'm super happy we got it as an option.
10/15/2014 04:18 AMPosted by Flimingo
10/15/2014 04:10 AMPosted by Gìmli

No, actually, it has been requested a lot as far back as vanilla. It might not have been one of the topmost requested features but it definitely has been oft requested. I know I used to participate in threads about it a lot in BC and Wrath. But it's just one of those things we never actually expected to happen since pets are like a total component to the class.

Frankly I'm super happy we got it as an option.

News to me. Oh well, as I said I feel like it's just a talent that baits newer people into picking something that looks fun but is actually liek the worse choice you could go with. Exotic Munations looks way too good.
It's a situational talent that lacks utility. Some want it, others don't.

Whim

Well, not getting Roar is justified in this manner, but Master's Call is a bit more Hunter related. Having it work under Lone Wolf would have helped out the utility, without impacting PVE as much. And it would be just the hunter's target, not Pet+1.

But yeah, other than Master's Call, I don't see an issue with Lone Wolf, it does exactly what I would expect from a "Petless Hunter" talent/glyph.

Now that we decided to break that long term tradition, how about we break a tradition that isn't as long standing?

Glyph of the Beserker (Beastmaster) - Your Shot abilities are converted to Strikes, and their range is based on your melee attack range. Dual Wielding and Two Handed weapons have specific damage adjustments to your abilities.

Note: We can cast on the move, so "casting" Cobra Strike, or Barrage (Cleave spam?) wouldn't be "too" horrible. Powershot would be a tad awkward...
10/15/2014 05:38 AMPosted by Verdash

Well, not getting Roar is justified in this manner, but Master's Call is a bit more Hunter related. Having it work under Lone Wolf would have helped out the utility, without impacting PVE as much. And it would be just the hunter's target, not Pet+1.

But yeah, other than Master's Call, I don't see an issue with Lone Wolf, it does exactly what I would expect from a "Petless Hunter" talent/glyph.

Now that we decided to break that long term tradition, how about we break a tradition that isn't as long standing?

Glyph of the Beserker (Beastmaster) - Your Shot abilities are converted to Strikes, and their range is based on your melee attack range. Dual Wielding and Two Handed weapons have specific damage adjustments to your abilities.

Note: We can cast on the move, so "casting" Cobra Strike, or Barrage (Cleave spam?) wouldn't be "too" horrible. Powershot would be a tad awkward...

Please don't bring up that stupid melee bull!@#$.
10/15/2014 10:02 AMPosted by Kaming

I'd had the same opinion (well, certainly less volatile, but in general, I did agree petless was silly) about petless hunters, and there is more justification for melee hunter than there ever was for petless hunter.

And the idea as presented wouldn't take anything away from hunters who like ranged combat, unlike Lone Wolf which takes away a talent choice from those who like there pets.
10/15/2014 10:11 AMPosted by Verdash

I'd had the same opinion (well, certainly less volatile, but in general, I did agree petless was silly) about petless hunters, and there is more justification for melee hunter than there ever was for petless hunter.

And the idea as presented wouldn't take anything away from hunters who like ranged combat, unlike Lone Wolf which takes away a talent choice from those who like there pets.

But the thing is we have melee combat and most high end hunters i talked to !@#$in hated it. Plus we always were the first to get kicked cause "All loot is Hunter Loot". Trust me it just wouldn't work in today's game.

i feel like "those who like there pets" play bm which completely changes the talent. if you are not playing beast mastery i do not feel like you truly like your pets because bm can talk to animals in wod and if you dont even speak to your pets how can you will never be able to tell them how you feel.(joke if you didnt get it, bm has a special bm only questline for spirit beast where you talk to animals its fun)
10/15/2014 10:17 AMPosted by Ingredients

i feel like "those who like there pets" play bm which completely changes the talent. if you are not playing beast mastery i do not feel like you truly like your pets because bm can talk to animals in wod and if you dont even speak to your pets how can you will never be able to tell them how you feel.(joke if you didnt get it, bm has a special bm only questline for spirit beast where you talk to animals its fun)

I played MM and Survival for years just because I couldn't get myself to like BM until recently and I have always loved having a pet.