Addons are not saving settings

Mac Technical Support
Every time I modify something in Need to Know, or Vuhdo, after doing a /reload, the settings are lost.

I already have disabled all addons, except Need to Know or Vuhdo, and the issue persists.

It appears to be a problem with the Mac Client, as this is not happening with the same version of Vuhdo in Windows.

- I have deleted the WTF, Cache and cleaned the Interface folder.
- I have done a Scan and Repair.
- I did fix the permissions for the Wow folder (recursively)

There are other similar reports: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/14881218494
Adding to the previous post....

Vuhdo is the add-on I noticed the issue, so I tried HealBot and it is having the same issue as Vuhdo. Every time I reload all settings reset.
I noticed this problem with both HealBot and NeedToKnow. I was fixated on HealBot, and thought it might be an issue with the addon. However, I'm no longer convinced of that. Strangely enough, add ons like XPerl seem to load and save their settings just fine. I'm not sure if it's how they're handling their .lua files or not, but it is what it is.

Things I've tried so far: (Note: HealBot works exactly as it should on my PC.)
1) I installed WoW on a Mac with a fresh wipe and install of OS 10.9. No other programs have been installed except for the battle.net launcher and WoW. I then installed HealBot 6.0.2. For some reason, the language defaults to Chinese (even though I downloaded the "English Only" release from their website). Changing the language from Chinese to English and then reloading the UI resets the language back to Chinese. Also, no changes to which spells are cast are saved after reloading the UI.

2) I tried running WoW as root thru the Terminal, which did not solve the problem.

3) I tried copying the .lua file from the SavedVariables folder (WTF/Account/[username]/[charactername]/SavedVariables) from my PC, but even then, when the game loads, it does not seem to read the "new" .lua file (everything is set back to defaults, language set back to Chinese, ect.) and upon game exit, it rewrites the .lua file back to the default.

4) I verified thru the Terminal that everyone has unrestricted read/write/execute file permission to the .lua file (-rwxrwxrwx in Unix).

5) I edited the SavedVariables/HealBot.lua file to remove all of the commands under "EnabledKeyCombo", but as in #3, HB loads a default state and then writes a new .lua file upon exit.

6) I though that, off chance, since my toon has alt characters in the name (é), that perhaps this was the limiting factor. I created a new toon without alt characters, and the problem persisted (although since lvl 1 characters don't have any spells, I could only verify this based on the fact that changing the language from Chinese to English defaults back to Chinese upon reloading the UI).

7) As others pointed out, I also verified and fixed any disk permission issues.

So, it seems as though on the Mac, the addon is not properly loading the saved .lua file, and thus starting in some default state, but it is properly saving the .lua file (verified by making drastic changes to the .lua file and then noting that after exiting the game, the .lua file is rewritten with default settings). Any changes made in-game stick until the UI is reloaded (/reload ui, logging out, or quitting the game).

Bugger.
I'm one of the current maintainers of VuhDo. We have more than a few Mac OS X users complaining about this same issue over on CurseForge.

The issue appears localized to Mac OS X clients. It only affects some users and only some of their characters. Further this issue is impacting multiple addons including but not limited to VuhDo, HealBot, and NeedToKnow.

Hoping that a blue can acknowledge if this is an issue with our addon code or a bug/incompatability with the new Mac OS X client release.
I'm having exactly the same issue and I'm also using Mac OSX.
I've spent about 10 hours today trying to figure out why LUI is randomly losing parts of it's configuration so if this is a bug on Blizzards side I'm going to be pretty grumpy ..

In fact, at work we charge our time out at $139/hr, so I figure Blizzard now owes me $1,390 in wasted time.
10/17/2014 04:31 AMPosted by Zeldå
It appears to be a problem with the Mac Client, as this is not happening with the same version of Vuhdo in Windows.

While Macs seem to be most affected I have come across 1 person with this issue that uses a PC.

So predominantly Macs, but not exclusively - and even then it's only happening on completely random characters with not much common. I was looking at character names with special/foreign/accentuated characters, but it's not that as some people on Macs with none of those letters are affected, and the PC person has none of those characters.
I'm on Mac OSX and I'm having the same problem with Vuhdo resetting to default profile on only some of my characters.

I went through every character on one of my accounts and what I noticed is that all of the characters for which the profiles were resetting have ascii code in their names. All the ones without ascii code are loading their profiles normally. I have no idea if this is related to the problem.
Same issue. Noticed most with Vuhdo as it will revert settings and move panes back to default. Seems a few other addons I use are affected also. TidyPlates, nUI possibly (the "upgraded to current version" dialog keeps appearing).

10/17/2014 10:44 PMPosted by Persephonæ
I went through every character on one of my accounts and what I noticed is that all of the characters for which the profiles were resetting have ascii code in their names. All the ones without ascii code are loading their profiles normally. I have no idea if this is related to the problem.

Whoa, nice catch there. Yeah, now that I think about it, it seems to only be with my healer and banker who both have special characters.
Same here, i'm a mac user. Vuhdu and tidy plates are the ones having issues on my account. Also it's annoying that everytime I open the launcher i have to wait like 3-5 minutes until the "initializing" red bar completes the install. -.- Don't know what to do. It's messed up since the patch.
I know this was said up above but I also tested this issue out. VuHdo is the one I have the trouble with resetting. The game macros also reset to pre patch macros. No matter how much I try to search this out it WILL ONLY HAPPEN on toons with ascii keys in the name. Just figured I'd verify as well.

I just upgraded to Yosemite as well. The issue was occurring prior to the upgrade.
Having this issue with quite a few of my addons, healbot, vuhdo, grid2, binder, etc. Incredibly annoying...

10/17/2014 10:44 PMPosted by Persephonæ

Thought I'd go through all my characters since seeing this and not all of them are having this issue. About 6 out of 10 have one of those codes in the name and the only character affected (even those without the code) is this one.
One additional thing some have found is that it seems to be effecting player names that have special characters in their names not sure if that is what is causing it or if just happens to be the ones reporting it blizz can you help?
10/18/2014 03:08 PMPosted by Sålenia
One additional thing some have found is that it seems to be effecting player names that have special characters in their names not sure if that is what is causing it or if just happens to be the ones reporting it blizz can you help?

It's not exclusively special characters, nor does it appear to be exclusively Macs .. it's definitely predominantly both of those though. I've come across 2 people using Macs with no special characters that are affected, and 1 person using a PC with no special characters.
great :(
Having the same problem on my one character with an umlaut in her name. This was apparently reported as a bug in September, but it looks like it fell through the cracks:

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/12206010700
Hey guys, Just throwing my share in here. I have the same problem with my Mac OS x and ONLY on my characters with ASCII letters. I sent a ticket in hoping someone from the team can see the bug.

Lets hope guys
Having the same problem,

OSX 10.9.5
None of my characters have ASCII letters so that isn't a factor here.
mysterons if you don't have special characters in name, it may be a permission error here that can be fixed by repairing permissions on your wtf folder. open your wow folder, click on your wtf folder then choose "get info" from finder. click the unlock button at bottom. then make sure all groups are set to read and write. After doing so, click on gear and choose "apply to enclosed items"

This should hopefully resolve any permission errors that may effect saving settings.
As I indicated in an earlier post, in regards to the add ons that people seem to be having the most trouble with (HealBot, NeedToKnow, etc) this is not a permissions issue. Even running the WoW client as root does not fix the problem. It is a problem with the actual WoW client not being able to read the .lua file of some addons. It is still unclear as to whether this is an addon coding issue, or a WoW client issue.
Thanks for the reports folks, we're looking into this.