Why didn't you listen about the models?

General Discussion
1 2 3 26 Next
Hi Blizzard, just one of your many beta-testers here.

For those of you who don't know, or weren't in the beta and didn't bother with the threads, here's a recap:

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/14609530839

I made a huge list of all the threads talking about the models and what things could be fixed, suggestions, criticisms, and the like.

Now, I'm all for artistic interpretation, I have an art degree, so I do understand that you can't please everyone, and you want to give your own feel to the models. And for the models' bodies, you did very well on them, great in fact on some, but lets talk about the many GLARING issues you left that we on the Beta board continued to tell you about and yet you ignored us.

Our faces suddenly had changed colors and expressions, we suddenly had facepaint instead of markings, lipstick where there hadn't been before, receding hairlines, patchy hair, wrinkles of untold magnitude!

Here's a list of the major points brought out in many of the threads:

Tauren Females:
    Weird open mouths during idle
    Our spotted skins ripped off from male skin
    Noses these weird half cut llama noses instead of full pads like old models
    Hair and eye colors randomly changed
    ONLY 4 faces!!

Tauren Males:
    Nose is NOT in any form that of a cow, they at least have their mouths closed
    Ony 5 faces!!

Gnome Females:
    Suddenly all of them are angry or look psychotic, especially during casting animations
    Odd widows peak appearing in at least 6 hairstyles, which do not fit together!

Gnome Males:
    Patchy, loose, almost glued on hair
    Suddenly all look like angry psychopaths like their female counterparts
    Weird kind of prancy...duck waddle...motion when running. (anyone ever see a duck skip?)

Troll Females:
    Only 6 faces, and only 1 that doesn't look constipated/angry!
    Weird waddling running animation
    Feet flopping even worse than before!

Toll Males:
    Loosing their hair in random patches!
    Weird floppy feet while running
    Feet are also breaking out of skirt/robes/dresses during running
    Flex emote causes face to collapse into itself
    Emotions range from stoned - angry - no flucks to give
    Along with weird feet issues, running looks odd and ungainly

Night Elf Females:
    Strange facepaint-looking markings
    Random lipsticks and cosmetics
    Total facial reconstruction (refer to below*)
    Runs like she's skipping or a linebacker!
    Flat hair color
    *Chipmunk cheeks, when did the N/e girls gain so much weight?
    *Unwarrented Rhinoplasty surgery.

Night Elf Males:
    Runs like his legs are wet noodles (WET NOODLES)
    Flat hair color
    They still have a color seam on the back of their neck.
    Head still too far forward.
    Heads/faces too fat. Looks like something was dropped on them, and squished their head down some, and mucked up their neck.

Human Females:
    Everyone of them has too high of eyebrows making them appear surprised!
    Random emotion changes (original face was happy, new one is angry)
    More random color changes from originals
    Why can't we be Black anymore?

Human Males:
    All of them look depressed!!
    Plastic, stuck on pineapple beards and facial hair.
    Seriously though, WHY CAN'T WE BE BLACK!? (this goes for worgens too)

Draenei Females:
    Highbeam lights for eyeballs
    Weird prancing running animation
    Eyes changed from white to blue
    Odd reshaping of the skull and flattening of hair-dos.
    Duck face. (all I gotta say.)
    One of said hairstyles is broken
    Large anime eyes with a kind of....dead dullness despite the highbeams.

Draenei Males:
    They've lost their neck
    Their shoulders have been oddly pinched in, making a kind of constant shrugged motion.

Undead Males:
    Head forced too forward
    Unable to access empty eye-sockets option anymore
    Suddenly turned into spring-heels Jack for running animation
    Polygon deformation when you look at where the leg and hip join up when running

Undead Females:
    Head forced too forward
    Unable to access empty eye-sockets option anymore
    Faces oddly wrinkled, giving a look of old lady-ness.
    Strange 'evil' worked eyebrows.
    Weird recoloring of hair and skin.
    Suddenly turned into spring-heels Jack for running animation
    Polygon deformation when you look at where the leg and hip join up as they run

Orc Males:
    Seem to be having a bad case of male pattern baldness and receding hairlines
    Odd walking motion in the feet causing strange foot turning

Orc Females:
    Have a weird motion to their hips, making them look as if they're trying not to poop themselves.

Dwarf Females:
    Looked so great in artcraft, now suddenly have odd wrinkles.
    Why do you keep changing the eye colors?!
    Loss of freckles on some faces

((If anyone else can point out some things I missed in any of these race points, tell me, I'm only one person remembering all this.))

This was all that I can remember pointed out in most of the threads. Orcs were very well inspired with only a few people bringing up issues, same with their females. Draenei males had many issues in Beta such as disappearing legs and hips, but generally were well accepted. And the Worgen males are still trying to figure out why all of a sudden they're all white men.

I asked before in my first thread that if you were willing to compromise with us, the player base was probably willing to compromise back. I had many people agree that they would wait for more and more updates on the models as the x-pac progressed, just so long as the issues are addressed and we could see improvement in the places that were critiqued or suggested about the models. Most of us love the bodies, there's only a few points on them, it's mostly all facial, where the 'SOUL' of the character comes from.

Please Blizz, we know you can do better, please keep working on the models, for the sake of my belief in you. For the sake of the belief many players have in you.
You missed a couple things with the female NE's. You did say Total facial reconstruction, but most of the problem is the nose and the acorn stuffed cheeks look. All the noses besides maybe 1 which is nose 8 I believe, all the rest appear to be masculine men's nose structure. Why Blizzard would want the females that actually play this game to look like men, I haven't the faintest. Also, the cheeks, exactly what I said, appear to be overstuffed with acorns, making my beloved NE look like a chipmunk rather than a sexy elf..... then last but most certainly NOT least, the hair color.... All the hair colors except the white one, appear as though they've had a solid pail of paint dumped over their heads..... and just left like that. There's no beautiful highlights, or sparkling shimmers throughout the hair color like the old models have... it's just plain straight up solid !@#$ stain colors. Wow.... how impressive -_-
I can't be black anymore on my worgen's human form.

http://i.imgur.com/juo1TI0.png
10/14/2014 02:13 PMPosted by Makki
Night Elf Females:
Strange facepaint-looking markings
Random lipsticks and cosmetics
Total facial reconstruction
Runs like she's skipping or a linebacker!

I knew I wasn't alone in this... thank you.
I get the feeling they just don't plan to allocate any more time to these new models, or maybe not until MUCH later. Trying to rush them all out for launch isn't working in their favor. I know a mixture of old and new models would be weird in WoD...but in hindsight if it meant better quality I'd wait any number of months...

You. Can't. Rush. Art.

Tauren Females:

Sounds like a cow to me
Undead Females:
Head shrunked in in-game portraits, also tipped at a weird angle.
Hair colors wrong (pink black is lighter, and missing black part. Whaaaaat.)
Eyebrows unnecessarily tipped and arch, giving a weird painted on look, like they are trying to hard to make them look 'evil.'
Run animations look like they have springs on their heels. Totally different then original.
Faces oddly wrinkled, giving a look of old lady-ness.

There is more, I just haven't had the energy to re-log in and look at that horribleness again.
I don't understand how they could have screwed up so much, when it was put on such a pedestal. HAVE YOU EVER HEARD OF A FOCUS GROUP BLIZZARD? I mean get some outside opinions, these issues would have come to light far ahead of live launch. Terrible I mean just terrible content that falls way short of the hype built up by the advertisement team, which is typical in the scheme of corporate shortcomings.
It is what it is now that patch is live....wrogen chiwawa female face for us all from now on.
10/14/2014 02:46 PMPosted by Trangz
I don't understand how they could have screwed up so much, when it was put on such a pedestal. HAVE YOU EVER HEARD OF A FOCUS GROUP BLIZZARD? I mean get some outside opinions, these issues would have come to light far ahead of live launch. Terrible I mean just terrible content that falls way short of the hype built up by the advertisement team, which is typical in the scheme of corporate shortcomings.

I can't like this more than once. Otherwise I would. +1 +1 +1
Ok 2 major "glitches/bugs" for male troll

1) flex animation face
2) I can see into my trolls feet when he runs with a robe =/ its weird and white, looks awful. I do 3D graphics for a living, this second problem is basically unacceptable I have no idea how it made it to live.

hire me =P ill fix it for you
It seems like they really didn't listen to feedback at all.

People have been saying since day 1 of draenei females being put in the beta that the eyes were too big and too dull.

What do we get on live? Giant dull eyes.
Mostly just painted texture preferences. but, you know what? It's not my artwork- As a game artist, there's always something I'd personally do different, but I respect their craft enough to look at these as new entity's rather then replacements.

I think, a far better thing to compare these new models to, rather then the old ones, is the concept art. Because, that essentially is what drives the aesthetic of the game.
I hate to say it, but my wizard beard looks like a rat that just got out of the tumble dryer..
Zeales lights his torch.

"Let's get 'em."
I think they have been too focused on Garrisons and have seem to ignored the models and classes designs this BETA, time will tell. I don't like some of the models they look bugged and not finished like I am on BETA but this is live? really bad
10/14/2014 02:43 PMPosted by Zeirdo

Tauren Females:

Sounds like a cow to me

You've never worked with cows I'm guessing. I was raise on a ranch around cattle my whole life, I know cows...and for one, unlike some animals, to keep the mouth open at a constant rate without any saliva or whatnot to occasionally replenish the moisture, the teeth will begin to degrade and rot. There's only so many animals which avoid this, (camelids/crocodilids/ect.) but cows are NOT one of them.

Truthfully, cows only typically open their mouths to grab with their tongue, to chew, or to vocalize, otherwise they keep their mouths closed. To keep it open would cause the upper palate, which has no teeth, to dry out and rot, kinda like if we had gum disease.

AND cows don't have cleft lips, they're flat, which makes the constant smile even weirder.
I should mention Undead also have a nasty animation glitch due to an intern rigging their legs/hip bone connection too low. Their upper leg 'pops' when your running, and you cna claerly see some really nasty polygon deformation when you look at where the leg and hip join up as they run. That can easily be fixed by adding another 10 polys to their leg/hip connections or making it so their hips move naturally like the other races instead of being a brick, even if it does mean getting rid of the exposed pelvis bones.