6.0.2 Anti-Aliasing Feedback

General Discussion
1 2 3 8 Next
In short, I loathe it. It's a colossal step backward in terms of visual appeal.

In order to force a reasonable alternative from my graphics card, I need to disable shadows and accept a considerable performance hit.

I've read the engineer's workshop post detailing this change and I'm still left asking myself how this made it past the PTR.

How does the community feel about anti-aliasing in the new patch?
10/15/2014 07:04 PMPosted by Lamb

In order to force a reasonable alternative from my graphics card, I need to disable shadows and accept a considerable performance hit.

I've read the engineer's workshop post detailing this change and I'm still left asking myself how this made it past the PTR.

Yeah, the blurriness of the update ruined the new content for me. I can't appreciate the models because I can't see them from more than 10 feet away.
I'd happily trade the new character models, great as they are, for semi-passable anti-aliasing again.
These type of forums make me cringe.
Complaining about graphics... yuck.
I'm reduced to playing without Anti-Aliasing.

I run the game in windowed 1600x900 mode, but when I start up the game, the client window is actually smaller than my screen's resolution. Not a big deal, I just maximize the window and I'm done.

However, if I have FXAA or CMAA enabled, when the window was maximized that way, it will just blur the entire GUI instead of making it scale properly like it used to before 6.0.2 with MSAA.

The only way I can avoid that is by diabling any type of AA, maximize the window, and then, once the window has been maximized with AA turned off, I can enable either FXAA or CMAA without it blurring the interface for no reason.
And even then, I still get a metric fudge ton of aliasing with either FXAA High or CMAA, so I don't even bother.

I wouldn't go as far as saying I loathe it, though. Sure, it sucks, but it's just a minor issue for me.
It's terrible. Back in the Beta some people found a way to force AA in the game through nvidia inspector, but it no longer works.
If you have an nvidia card, use inspector to force better. I did! SSAA 4x looks great.

10/16/2014 05:02 AMPosted by Aleena
It's terrible. Back in the Beta some people found a way to force AA in the game through nvidia inspector, but it no longer works.

Actually, yes it does.
10/16/2014 05:05 AMPosted by Dagnaros
If you have an nvidia card, use inspector to force better. I did! SSAA 4x looks great.

10/16/2014 05:02 AMPosted by Aleena

Actually, yes it does.

Can you elaborate on this? How'd you do it?

I was able to as well but your method may have mine beat, given that my frames-per-second has a tendency to plummet.
Yes, elaborate. This game now looks like complete !@#$ on my 27" 2560X1440 monitor

Will that fix these trees?

http://i.imgur.com/Ajljldm.png
I´m the only one that can't see a difference from before to now?
Using CMAA
10/15/2014 07:18 PMPosted by Yancham
I'm reduced to playing without Anti-Aliasing.

I run the game in windowed 1600x900 mode, but when I start up the game, the client window is actually smaller than my screen's resolution. Not a big deal, I just maximize the window and I'm done.

However, if I have FXAA or CMAA enabled, when the window was maximized that way, it will just blur the entire GUI instead of making it scale properly like it used to before 6.0.2 with MSAA.

The only way I can avoid that is by diabling any type of AA, maximize the window, and then, once the window has been maximized with AA turned off, I can enable either FXAA or CMAA without it blurring the interface for no reason.
And even then, I still get a metric fudge ton of aliasing with either FXAA High or CMAA, so I don't even bother.

I wouldn't go as far as saying I loathe it, though. Sure, it sucks, but it's just a minor issue for me.

You should report this as a bug.

There isn't much anyone can do about it though.

MSAA just doesn't play nice with deferred rendering. There are ways to hack around it ... but it's a huge PITA which is why most companies don't do it.

CMAA is OK. You will get use to it.

With luck they will add temporal supersampling to CMAA or implement SMAA T2x (i.e. SMAA /w temporal supersampling + reprojection + velocity weighting).
10/16/2014 06:38 AMPosted by Khamone
I´m the only one that can't see a difference from before to now?
Using CMAA

Nah you're not the only one.

I logged in after the patch, went to graphics settings and enabled one or the other, I honestly don't remember which, slid the slider all the way up to ultra and went to playing. Didn't notice any blurryness or anything, Game looked fine to me.

Maybe we just don't look as closely as some people IDK.

FWIW, I play on a 40" monitor @ 1080p. Maybe it looks worse at higher resolutions or something.
10/15/2014 07:14 PMPosted by Felryx
These type of forums make me cringe.

These type of posts make me cringe.

Why enter the thread then?
I believe this change will improve the visuals for people playing on toasters and microwave ovens than for those riding the cutting edge of graphic technology.

Personally, I can't notice the difference, so I guess I'm one of those playing on a 5 years old toaster.
10/16/2014 06:25 AMPosted by Lamb
10/16/2014 05:05 AMPosted by Dagnaros

Actually, yes it does.

Can you elaborate on this? How'd you do it?

I was able to as well but your method may have mine beat, given that my frames-per-second has a tendency to plummet.

I'll just post this again from another thread. Someone couldn't get it to work using it, but try it I guess. Make sure you have an nvidia card and are in directx 9 mode. Turn off the AA option in game to none also and exit client.

[QUOTE]I just redownloaded inspector and got the missing options back, and with your help I got it working! I can only do SSAA 4x, and still lost some fps, but it looks beautiful now, not a jaggy in sight. Probably won't be able to raid in this mode, lol. But questing will look great. :) My video card isn't that great, so if I can pull this off, someone might have better time with it. I get about 20-22fps with it. Lowest 19 when in a dense zone forest area.

Try this out in inspector, need an nvidia card obviously and be in directx 9 mode.

[IMG]http://s27.postimg.org/6rh0pplxv/settings.png[/IMG][/QUOTE]
I don't understand the technical jargon, but here what I do understand:

I played a game that looked outdated because of texture resolution and low poly models. Now I play a game that looks outdated because of low-poly models that are fuzzy/soft and characters that move as blurs.

What I see this as is a marked decrease in the quality of the product (all other patch QQs aside).
Agreed, the new anti-alias settings are awful.

They need to add SSAA asap, because this is just bad.