Warcraft and Hannibal Barca

Story Forum
Recently I watched the Extra credits videos on Hannibal Barca and was incredibly satisfied with learning the history of Carthage's great weapon and Rome most feared enemy. I was amazed by how easily he put the Native Romans to shame in Italy time and time again. He used Roman politics, terrain, and even over confidence on the battlefield to defeat his foe time and time again.

It got me thinking would a villain in the vain work in Warcraft. Putting superior forces to shame not with powerful magic or weapons beyond our comprehension, but instead with clever tactics and strategy that put the Alliance and Horde to shame.
Wait, really trying to not be snarky here... but you want Blizzard to write this?
Hannibal was actually a complete failure when it comes to strategy. Not a single elephant survived on his march across the alps, he lost thousands of men, and despite his victories on the field he did not capture a single roman city in his years in Italy. His adventure gave the Romans an opportunity to attack Carthage, and eventually led to the collapse of his civilization. I guess we already have such a character, Garrosh. He had a few impressive victories, but eventually his stupidity led to his total and utter defeat.
I don't know if it's feasable to have such a story in a MMO environement.
We as players will NEVER feel as though we have been outsmarted because... Well, we're railroaded in the story. We can't really feel as though we've been genuinly tricked when there's no way to make us make such a decision.
Hannibal Barca was a great tactician, but a poor strategist.

"Hannibal could conquer a city, he just couldn't use it."

He could make stuff up on the fly, but long term strategy, he blundered.
10/16/2014 05:59 PMPosted by Vyerra
utting superior forces to shame not with powerful magic or weapons beyond our comprehension, but instead with clever tactics and strategy that put the Alliance and Horde to shame.

technically garrosh did that :V