Blizzard, what did you do to my toon??

General Discussion
Prev 1 3 4 5 26 Next
Fixing something that wasnt broke lol. I hope there is a option to turn these changes off. But since wod is about removing player control from the game prolly not
10/14/2014 12:34 PMPosted by Bashiok
With the old models looking as... old, as they did, there's always been some amount of interpretation that's going to happen from person to person as they fill in the quality-gaps, and add their own story and character to any of the looks. Where a squiggly blurry line might look like a scar to you, it might look like freckles to someone else. A furled brow is grease smudge, a wince is a grimace, or a smile is a pout. We went into the archives, back to the source material and textures, and spent a lot of time trying to ensure we were interpreting all those squiggles and smudges in a way that is as true to the originals as possible, while also updating them to much higher resolutions and levels of fidelity. No easy task, I assure you. We expect that some will have had different interpretations of those old blurry textures than the ones we arrived at, and that's why we brought some of the recustomization features in-game for "free" (small gold cost like other barbershop features), and with that you can hopefully find new combinations and options that do appeal to you.

I'm sure the answer is "Because we thought we could do better", but why didn't they just improve the base models based off of the original art assets. People have been doing exactly that for years, mostly in an attempt to convince Blizzard that updating the models isn't hard or time consuming, so it was certainly an option that would have delivered on both "higher fidelity" and "keeping character feel".

Fixing something that wasnt broke lol. I hope there is a option to turn these changes off. But since mop is about removing player control from the game prolly not

There's an option for it in the interface. I'm using it because whoever they had in charge of Draenei decided that space goats should be part duck.
10/14/2014 12:38 PMPosted by Agalladorn
So my beard is supposed to look like spiky clay then?

You so fashion forward.
Sorry to hear you're not enjoying your updated character! :( As others have mentioned, we've added facial customization options to the in-game barbershop, which will allow you to change additional appearance options for an in-game gold cost.

With the old models looking as... old, as they did, there's always been some amount of interpretation that's going to happen from person to person as they fill in the quality-gaps, and add their own story and character to any of the looks. Where a squiggly blurry line might look like a scar to you, it might look like freckles to someone else. A furled brow is grease smudge, a wince is a grimace, or a smile is a pout. We went into the archives, back to the source material and textures, and spent a lot of time trying to ensure we were interpreting all those squiggles and smudges in a way that is as true to the originals as possible, while also updating them to much higher resolutions and levels of fidelity. No easy task, I assure you. We expect that some will have had different interpretations of those old blurry textures than the ones we arrived at, and that's why we brought some of the recustomization features in-game for "free" (small gold cost like other barbershop features), and with that you can hopefully find new combinations and options that do appeal to you.

Please for the love of the Titans just fix Draenei eyes. In no world were they ever that blue or that shape / size.
10/14/2014 12:36 PMPosted by Sarufix
How does this
http://imageshack.com/a/img540/8131/jOf6fw.jpg

look anything like
http://wow.zamimg.com/uploads/screenshots/normal/389649.jpg

Who knew you could bullshot a game 10years after release. Well played, Blizz.

Well, it shouldn't, because those are completely different facial options.

Try this one: http://imgur.com/Hocr2Hj
Still doesn't explain why my run and stand animations are so much different now.

Not to mention how completely out of proportion they are, compared to before.
Sorry to hear you're not enjoying your updated character! :( As others have mentioned, we've added facial customization options to the in-game barbershop, which will allow you to change additional appearance options for an in-game gold cost.

Hogwash.
Why is my nose so freaking huge!?

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/a/img673/9689/7NKwKf.jpg

again referencing the artcraft

What!?
I must say I was very disappointed when I turned off my helm graphic today to look at the new model. It is atrocious and my helm graphic came back on immediately. I might toy with the barbershop but I get the feeling I'll be transmogging to keep a full helm cover over this noggin'.

I can dig that Blizz artists put in a lot of work on the new models. Unfortunately, for me and my Evilmuffin here, they did not hit the mark. At all. Not even close.

It is upsetting when you have a toon you play on for hours/days/weeks/years, to all of a sudden come up looking like it has been through a thirty year aging process. Why would her eyes suddenly go all beady and deep set? Why is her face dragged down? Where are her lovely bright blue eyes that are so noticeable? This is what I thought when I logged on today. It was not my muffin girl I was looking at, but some stranger standing in her place. D:

I suppose I will just have to keep the new model checkbox unclicked. Which, frankly, is disappointing. I was expecting a new, improved, brighter, even happier muffin. Instead, it was someone different.
I absolutely hate all of the night elf female faces and would rather not have one at all anymore. Same with Draenei although i find them less horrible, i'm at the point where I have to either pay 50 dollars to change my two favorite toons or start leveling again.. one month before the new expansion.. that i haven't yet bought. at this point i'm wondering if I should. :(
I hope they continue to tweak the models over time and not just leave them as is.
There's going to be people who love them, and people who hate them. I personally love the new UD model but I know there's a lot who don't. Can't make everyone happy.

MSAA x16

CMAA

I kid, I kid.
Stills look heavily touched up, ingame face has a... broken creepy tiny mouth smile and staircase ridges on the outline of her face.

10/14/2014 12:42 PMPosted by Bashiok
How does this

look anything like

Who knew you could bullshot a game 10years after release. Well played, Blizz.

Well, it shouldn't, because those are completely different facial options.

Try this one: http://imgur.com/Hocr2Hj

Fair enough, point to you Bash.
My point, Bash, is that the model and textures are completely devoid of any of the feel that the artcraft seemed to offer......
Undead faces 6 and 10 are a travesty. Just, wow. Teeth painted on the lips like the old dwarf male model? You can see the real teeth behind them! There shouldn't really be lips there, anyway. Nor should they have intact noses.
When does the new models apply to the armory if a blue or anyone with the knowledge can reply please?
With the old models looking as... old, as they did, there's always been some amount of interpretation that's going to happen from person to person as they fill in the quality-gaps, and add their own story and character to any of the looks. Where a squiggly blurry line might look like a scar to you, it might look like freckles to someone else.

So are you saying that the art team didn't copy the originals just looked at it and made their own interpretation? So we have models that the people who worked on them think looks right? Animations too?

That's it then, we have to play with models that is someone elses interpretation, not the old representations. And what about all the time inbetween, were no models ever going to get tweaked or made even better? There were a lot of common concerns with some models meaning a few people (and now even more since its live) will notice these same issues. "My run is completely different now, my eyes are bigger and a different colour, my eyebrows got pushed up, my nose went from a cow to something else, my idle animation is different" all these little things that I thought, especially with animations, would be the same. Once again something we comment on for months, beta testers and non beta testers alike, gets implemented as is. So again, you're saying the artists, while amazing at what they do, actively took the models for themselves and made it however they interpreted... because a scar can look like freckles?

Some edits by players were better...T_T