Governing the Community Democratically.

General Discussion
Anyone ever wonder if the community could improve if the players governed there party the way that League of Legends players do? For those of you that don't know, League of legends is a MOBA style game with a very large player base. I first started playing it about a year ago and the community was incredibly toxic. If you didn't do well you were fiercely called out and verbally abused. It just kept getting worse and worse until Riot decided to take decisive action. They created a system where players can report or upvote players for there behavior at the end of each match with clearly defined parameters (such as AFKed or Intentional Feeding).

Because of the toxic community, I had quit for a long time. Recently, a real life friend got me back into it and the difference in the community is astonishing. No longer are people lashing out or swearing at eachother in game. In fact, most players are pretty nice and I've been upvoted serveral times even by the opposing team. I've never seen such a dramatic change in attitudes.

So what if WoW had this kind of system? At the end of each random pve or pvp event, you could vote on how well your teamates behaved or how well they worked together to complete the content. You could also report the player for toxic behavior with a much more clear impact. Perhaps once that player has recieved to many reports for toxic behavior, he could get a time out from public chat (such as Trade or General) and if he continues to offend, he could get a suspension from group finder for a short time. Perhaps those with many upvotes could get neat titles or little pets based on what they've been upvoted for such as "Dreaddloxx the Helpful" or "Dreaddloxx the Kind".

I can see how this could negatively affect queue times, but honestly, waiting in queue for 40 mins just to get a toxic group that swears and disregards teamwork is no better than having to wait an extra 10 for a great group. At least, I wouldn't mind.
It's been debated off and on here from time to time.

I'm not personally for it. I don't see it being a positive influence. I'd also rather not get into morality judgments as far as gameplay goes. There's rules and guidelines in how we treat each other and a paid workforce we can appeal to who don't have a vested interest in the decisions beyond keeping their jobs.

I'd rather see people all take a personal step in just treating people better. The whole "it's the Internet" thing is a really poor excuse for treating other human beings badly. There's no excuse for that. Hiding behind a keyboard and not taking responsibility for your actions is pretty cowardly. People should recognize that and be the better person.

Being nice to others is rewarding. Try it out, folks.
10/21/2014 04:49 PMPosted by Crepe

I'm not personally for it. I don't see it being a positive influence. I'd also rather not get into morality judgments as far as gameplay goes. There's rules and guidelines in how we treat each other and a paid workforce we can appeal to who don't have a vested interest in the decisions beyond keeping their jobs.

I'd rather see people all take a personal step in just treating people better. The whole "it's the Internet" thing is a really poor excuse for treating other human beings badly. There's no excuse for that. Hiding behind a keyboard and not taking responsibility for your actions is pretty cowardly. People should recognize that and be the better person.

Well sure if that worked. But it hasn't Players are just getting worse every year. Something has to be done if the community is going to get any better. I'm guessing a large portion of the sub loss is because of how we treat eachother.
10/21/2014 04:52 PMPosted by Hookha
Real ID on the forums was their solution... the fact that you only see my avatar tells you how that worked out.

I was impressed with the number of women who filled out the form letter stating that they were women and did not want people to know that they were women....and then listed the reasons....it was mind boggling at best.

I agree with everything you said here. But we both know that this will never happen. People will still be jerks because there are no consequences.

Remember back in original WoW... if people acted like jerks, they didnt get groups anymore. People would remember the names of folks who didnt play well with others. And that is a perfect example of the community holding players accountable for their behavior.

I'm all for a upvote/downvote system. Sure, there would be people who abuse it. But I think its safe to say the vast majority of players would use it responsibly.

I mean look at the vote kick system. For every nerd rager who wants to kick low dps, there are 5 more people who say "Nah, he's fine, leave him alone."
I'm actually all for this. I know how to do my stuff... and I'm generally nice to people; people who'd grade me negatively, or block me are probably the exact same people I'm grading negatively and blocking anyways.

Bottom line; if you're afraid of a system like this, you should be checking your behaviour in game.
I see only how that would be abused. I can barely trust myself to not try to tear everyone a new *bleep*, how should I trust the rest of the unwashed masses?
10/21/2014 04:43 PMPosted by Dreaddloxx
You could also report the player for toxic behavior

and, i stopped reading right there.

first off, I wish everyone who used the overused, trite phrase "toxic behaivor" would stop.

Second, and to my real point - no. You do not get to vote on me, and have any impact in my ability to play the game. I pay a subscription for access to the servers, and any action taken against my account is between me and blizzard. not between me and some angry nerd who is pissed off because I killed his leveling toon.
No longer are people lashing out or swearing at eachother in game. In fact, most players are pretty nice

LOOOL, are we playing the same game?

Besides, tribunal has been disabled for awhile now
Account ignore, and list all player characters in profiles for the forums. No more hiding.
In fact, most players are pretty nice and I've been upvoted serveral times even by the opposing team

I call b.s. I haven't played lol yet for some reason I can't download it but I seriously doubt that the community has improved any.
Letting the players of WoW have some sort of self-governance is like letting the inmates run the asylum.

WoW is so full of horribly toxic players that there are not enough good ones left to do anything about the bad ones. Worse, most offensive things are not banned by Blizzard, nor even against the ToS.

Besides, as long as Blizzard doesn't think the community is a problem, the community is not a problem. You can't have a democracy to impose morality and rules on players when there is no Blizzard "law" to back it up -- in other words, that guy who's over there dropping f-bombs, since he's not breaking Blizzard's ToS, there'd be no reason to have some way to punish him.

Think about it, though. Most people have two personalities: a polite, happy, friendly everyday sort, and a raging, fuming lunatic lurking inside who we suppress because society.

The Internet does a great job of giving people a chance to express their suppressed anger and bile without having to worry about that whole society thing.

The only way to fix that is to bring society to the Internet; but Blizzard tried that with forum realid and was shouted down by a few million raging Internet users.

Once upon a time, MMOs tried to fix this with "play nice" rules. This worked for awhile, until corporations realized that it's better to let a player ignore someone they don't like and collect $30 a month than to ban a player who's being a jerk and only collect $15 a month.
So much of this problem could be alleviated if blizz would make ignore account wide. Give players the power to say "I don't want to interact with this person on any of their characters ever again"
this would probly end up an abused system ran by a bunch of kaceytron trolls that mboa system that was put in place was and probly still is overly abused it has no place in wow keep that garbage in the free to play bracket of games

Completely agree, true both on- and off-line. But expected no less from a forum MVP either, of course.
10/21/2014 05:24 PMPosted by Kemanorel
Completely agree, true both on- and off-line. But expected no less from a forum MVP either, of course.

I don't buy that 100% -- I think we're only nice in real life because we have to be, not because we want to be.

On the internet, there is no "have to be", so wants overpower self-control.
Not as long as my business relationship is with Blizzard. I pay my $15 a month for them to make the decisions, including as to whether I'm in compliance with the ToS.

Not a bunch of people I neither know nor care if I ever know.
10/21/2014 05:02 PMPosted by Annastasi
You could also report the player for toxic behavior

and, i stopped reading right there.

first off, I wish everyone who used the overused, trite phrase "toxic behaivor" would stop.

Second, and to my real point - no. You do not get to vote on me, and have any impact in my ability to play the game. I pay a subscription for access to the servers, and any action taken against my account is between me and blizzard. not between me and some angry nerd who is pissed off because I killed his leveling toon.

Your monthly sub gives you the PRIVILAGE to enjoy the servers not the RIGHT. By your logic, botting in Battlegrounds is okay as long as you are paying.