Tweaks/Suggestions/Feedback on new models #4!

General Discussion
Prev 1 3 4 5 25 Next
So I think overall, the changes are nice, but there are some pretty glaring problems that have made me sort of avoid playing certain characters.

The female dwarves look like human Shrek. They have a huge jawline and chin, and let's not even go near the nose problem, which seems to have swollen to unusual proportions. I will say that I super appreciate that her jugs don't do a 3 foot bounce when she runs anymore.

The female undead have an issue. 1st, the butt-clapping as pointed out. Also, the neck jutting too far forward, as stated. It makes me feel like a turtle. I also had to change my face (ty for adding that to the barber shop!) because the face she had previously now has heavily exaggerated Cruella Sharpie brows. So now instead of having 3-4 faces on undead fems I like, now there's only one I can tolerate. I do love her new hairstyles now. They don't look super-grungy and brittle anymore, and I like that. Just mildly so, which is ok for being undead.

The humans are scarier than before. I think OP explained pretty much how I feel about them. Also, the female's yawn is over exaggerated and it is kind of frightening.

The nigh elf females look nice, but the apples of the cheeks are really big, plus the addition of a very square, jutting jawline is awkward. Also, the lacking eyelashes is odd. Kind of reminds me of Medusa from Rescuers when she takes her eyelashes off. D:

The gnomes, I am still not going to play that race. I think they look worse than before. I thought the original art craft was done really well. I know a lot of people complained about the buggy eyes and looking too happy, but I think that's just the way the race is. Now they are truly frightening, with Sharpie brows and perma-witch faces and huge bags under their eyes. Please let the gnome females get some sleep and grow their eyebrows back.

I love how the new trolls and tauren look, but the females are seriously lacking in face options. I know it might be a tall order to ask, especially with all the other work that needs to be done with the models, but could you maybe squeeze 1 or 2 new faces in there? >v<

Overall, I like the updated models. Some of them look fantastic, like the dwarf males. ( <3 ) But it would be super nice and I think thousands (or millions? however many play) players would be very appreciative and happy if you made a few changes.

I do want to throw in my 2 cents about the draenei fems though: I like the blue eyes, I don't have a problem with the eyes. It's just the weird duck face. I don't know how it happened.
10/17/2014 03:39 PMPosted by Makki
There you go Lilim, and thank you for the pictures, I'm now adding those as examples for various glitches, issues and strange changes, it will make our case better.

Thank you for posting them!
I really appreciate your dedication to updating and keeping these threads going. =D
Now I just hope that the artists responsible for these models are actually seeing all of this feedback and working to address our concerns.
10/17/2014 03:22 PMPosted by Tainarra
Of course for every change they would make here. Someone new will complain. You can't make everyone happy. The new models look fantastic. You will get used to them.

For me they do not look fantastic.

My female night elfs skin is poorly shaded and looks like wax.

Eye shape is wrong, the eye color is wrong as well.

Face structure is wrong.

Profile, the face is too elongated

My idle stance has been changed to the troll idle stance

I run like I am trying to catch the ice cream truck

Facial markings look like melted wax

Nose is bulbous

Lips are poorly shaded and just look odd as well

I lost my eyelashes

I lost the shading around my eyes

The underlying eyebrow is gone

Basically she looks nothing like the original. These are substandard quality and look very rushed.
10/17/2014 03:51 PMPosted by Rezyarouas

Again, love diversity and customization. But I think getting the glitches fixed is more important at this point-let's not go too overboard too quick.

Oh yes indeed, It is more important, I would just love for this to become an option at some time in the future.
Twitter stuff!

Okay, straight up. I'm a twitter newb, but it seems that neither @Warcraft nor @BlizzardCS is bothering to follow Tyson Murphy, who is the person we've been aiming our attention at up until now.

World of Warcraft (@Warcraft)
WoW's basic Twitter account.

Blizzard Customer Support, North America (@BlizzardCS)
From their bio "Let us know how we're doing!"

Chris G. Robinson (@artofcgrobinson)
Senior art director and, from what I gather from his tweet history, the guy really in charge of the new models.

Thanks for doing this, Makki! Also, can you come up with a short hashtag for Twitter so we can keep our tweets easy to find?
10/17/2014 04:24 PMPosted by Leith
Twitter stuff!

Okay, straight up. I'm a twitter newb, but it seems that neither @Warcraft nor @BlizzardCS is bothering to follow Tyson Murphy, who is the person we've been aiming our attention at up until now.

Senior art director and, from what I gather from his tweet history, the guy really in charge of the new models.

Thanks for doing this, Makki! Also, can you come up with a short hashtag for Twitter so we can keep our tweets easy to find?

I'll toss this information up in the other thread as well.

Thank you.
10/17/2014 04:24 PMPosted by Leith
Twitter stuff!

There we go, added up those twitter links, thank you Leith.

Now um.....hashtags? Um.....I'm more like that guy saying hashbrown on the e-surance commercials...Um....

Is anyone here better at twitter? I could use some ideas, really ^^;;
10/17/2014 03:05 PMPosted by Leith
I think we need a change of tactics here. We're beating our fists against a brick wall and they simply aren't listening. It's a waiting game now: seeing if we are really going to care in a month or two. By then, people are less likely to make a fuss and Blizz will be saved the effort of fixing the new models.

What I think needs to be done is this:

- A concentrated effort on a Twitter campaign, including a consistent hashtag to make tweets easier to find. Sending requests to Mr Murphy isn't enough. Because it's confined to -his- account, it makes it easy to ignore. These are tweets that need to be pulled up every time people search for WoW.

- A compiled list of screenshots that illustrate the problems. If people can't easily see why we're complaining, they are going to just discount it as frivolous. Mentioning how humans can't be black? Have a damn good image that shows just that.

- Be funny. The more amusing the posts/images are, the more impact they'll have. If you aren't funny (which, alas, I'm not the witty type >.>), then be firm, but polite. Messages that attack, are dramatic, and/or angry only alienate people.

The more time that goes by, the more people will stop caring. We do this right and Blizz will fix the models. This just needs to be a public push. While the old adage says that any publicity is good publicity, good publicity still knocks the socks off negative.

By taking it politely to Twitter, we can give them a forum to show how good of a company Blizzard is and that they are willing to listen to us -- their playerbase.

^That is all actually a really good idea.
Posted already in last thread but really wanted to comment on the only problem I have with dwarf female is what another poster said so succinctly.

ALL THE FEMALE DWARF FACES LOOK LIKE HUMAN SHREK. Please give me back at least one jolly pretty face that I used to have before these new models. You can have a full figure face and be pretty and not look like Shrek!
I noticed female gnomes appear better on their character sheet.

http://i.imgur.com/mtAOSjj.jpg

I would like that face instead. Just a mouth adjustment does wonders. Also the straight sloping downward line on the mouth looks a bit tack, it should be more rounded or smooth.
10/17/2014 12:30 PMPosted by Makki
Suddenly a lot of us seem to need anger management with casting/riding/ect. What is everyone so angry at?!
http://forumbear.tumblr.com/post/92013361154/she-doesnt-like-the-love-rocket
10/17/2014 02:18 PMPosted by Necrotìca
Reposting this here so people who don't read the first page see it:

Just finished watching the twitch interview on 6.0. The vod hasn't been posted to youtube yet, but one of the final questions was if the new models are done and what is the status on blood elves.

Their response was basically that they are watching for player feedback on the new models and will possibly be fixing concerns in the form of more customization options rather than directly changing what we have now since the face one person hates someone else loves.

I wish there had been more questions about the new models, but hey it's something! I'll post the vod when wowhead uploads it.

The only problem with adding more customization options (assuming this means "more faces") is that the proper new and old faces will no longer link up.

In other words, if they later down the road add a new "warpaint" face with a full nose pad and no cleft lip, I'll have to have a new "old" face too.

The inherent problem is these faces DO NOT MATCH THE OLD.

Make THESE faces the "new" faces you'll maybe add further down the road. Make the default faces, the ones we have NOW, match the OLD ones.

If someone likes goatface, they can have goatface as a NEW face. Not as one of the four OLD faces.
Hashtags... hmmm...

Something simple like #notmycharacter ... or something less subjective like #modelgate lol. I personally like #savethesnoots for tauren :P
My dwarf's face makes me want to cry. I've tried all the new faces, and they're all so angry, or depressed...or look drunk.

Her old face was pretty, slightly Asian-looking. I can't find a new face that looks anything like it.

And NONE of the female dwarf faces have any expression...unless they're angry. Otherwise, they just look...dimwitted.

I'd make a bad joke about female dwarven I.Q. squish, but I'm not in the mood.
Excellent list, as always.

Has it been mentioned that some of the textures on the models look a bit down on quality and even blurred? I don't expect harsh shading of any sort, but I know on male night elves, the overall quality of the skin texture seems a bit muddled and the troll feet are less defined.
Good job keeping this going, Makki.

I would add the changed emotes sounds. For example, human female's death emote is different now. Even though they are probably less important than skins and animations, sounds also make up our characters. There was also no reason to mess with them.
I found that I'm not noticing the run animation on my Female Night Elf anymore...initially, I HATED it, now I'm either used to it, or the tweaked it a bit.

Human females though...Please blizz, you gotta do something. This is the angry face, and she looks like a Facebook selfie...At least somehow I was able to preserve my dark skin.

Whenever I play a human female character, I go in and turn off new models. The face is terrible. And a helm would fix it, except my hair clips through the back of the helmet, and that drives me even more nuts than the same face syndrome.
@Snuzzle, yeah I'm really not sure what they meant by more customization options as that question\answer was at the very tail end of the interview mostly as an afterthought. My personal interpretation was that they would add more options in(primarily facial options I'm assuming) that more closely resembled the original faces.

Chris Robinson also mentioned previously that he would like do things like giving orcs the option to stand upright or hunched over so there's also the long shot possibility of getting completely different skeleton rigs to choose from sometime far off down the line.

Hopefully we can get some clarification on what exactly their plan for addressing the artistic criticism(and not the just blatantly bugged things like troll hair defying gravity and player draenei eyes not glowing when npc eyes do) soon.
10/17/2014 04:46 PMPosted by Snuzzle

The only problem with adding more customization options (assuming this means "more faces") is that the proper new and old faces will no longer link up.

In other words, if they later down the road add a new "warpaint" face with a full nose pad and no cleft lip, I'll have to have a new "old" face too.

The inherent problem is these faces DO NOT MATCH THE OLD.

Make THESE faces the "new" faces you'll maybe add further down the road. Make the default faces, the ones we have NOW, match the OLD ones.

If someone likes goatface, they can have goatface as a NEW face. Not as one of the four OLD faces.

*sigh* that's the main problem I think, at this point I'm trying to pick the battles as wisely as possible. At this rate, I'm afraid getting updated versions of our old faces is going to be near impossible, so at best we can bug the heck out of them until they give us options that LOOK like what our old face upgrades should have. Should they have delivered what they promised? Heck yeah. But at this point in the game, it's pretty clear that rushing is involved and we're gonna have to compromise if we want ANYTHING now.

Asking them to replace the 'new' defaults is going to be 'outrageous' in their minds and will 'upset the players who are already adjusted!'....so instead best we can hope for is the addition of faces that appear like old ones, that have the suggestions and tweaks we offered, that we can then change our face to appear like.

Least that's as best I can see at the moment. If we can get that we're atleast making much better strides than absolutely nothing.

10/17/2014 05:00 PMPosted by August
Good job keeping this going, Makki.

I would add the changed emotes sounds. For example, human female's death emote is different now. Even though they are probably less important than skins and animations, sounds also make up our characters. There was also no reason to mess with them.

I try.

As for sounds, I'm still hearing a good bit about it, but I'm still edgy on putting it up at the moment, though sound is just as important, as I've said, I don't know if I should really add it in since it's a totally different department we'd be also dragging in....

OH!

And on another note, I was thinking while listening to "centuries" by fallout boy (one of the few songs I like of theirs), and we shouldn't just restrict to Twitter, there's multiple boards out there, MMO-champ, Petopia, ect. Maybe we should also post links to my thread or even have someone post the list on these others boards. There's people who don't check the Blizz board, but definitely checks MMO-champ and Petopia!
10/17/2014 05:18 PMPosted by Sereena
I found that I'm not noticing the run animation on my Female Night Elf anymore...initially, I HATED it, now I'm either used to it, or the tweaked it a bit.

Human females though...Please blizz, you gotta do something. This is the angry face, and she looks like a Facebook selfie...At least somehow I was able to preserve my dark skin.

Whenever I play a human female character, I go in and turn off new models. The face is terrible. And a helm would fix it, except my hair clips through the back of the helmet, and that drives me even more nuts than the same face syndrome.

Really if they just toned down the bounce of the run, most people wouldn't be overly bothered by it, but if you look at tauren girls, we're walking on the moon O_O;;

XD #modelgate huh, that's an interesting one. XD

I thought up #WoWRevolution but it sounds like we're attempting to do a WoW version of DanceDance Revolution.