Just starting, Game isnt what i expected.

General Discussion
Prev 1 6 7 8 9 Next
10/22/2014 05:08 PMPosted by Bashiok
Yo! Well I'm glad you're giving WoW a try and, I have to say, you seem to have made quite a bit of progress in a short amount of time.

while its commendable that a new player has accomplished a decent amount why is it some of us that have been long time fans rarely or dont even get any Blue responses to some of our threads? ive raised a few topics id enjoy seeing Blues address only to never see anything come from it not to try and put myself above some new player concerns but it would be nice to get a blue reply stating that we will look into your issue and pass along your suggestions to those that have the power and could try to make the changes youve mentioned
This is a perfect example to why new players shouldn't be able to boost.
Boosting shouldn't even be an option for new players because of situations like this. Boosts were intended for players who either didn't mind spending $60 to skip out on leveling a whole new character or for returning players who may have stopped playing in vanilla, BC, etc. to jump right back in. This is why boosting a character that's at least level 60 gets you maxed professions and First Aid (note: you still have to learn recipes). When someone sees you're at level 90, they automatically expect you have a certain understanding of the game overall and your class/spec. Boosting your first character robs you of that experience.

Like others have said OP, starting at level 1 is the way to go. You have a chance to learn the lore and the game from the ground up. Stick with questing unless you have a thick skin, though. Dungeons and battlegrounds aren't normally very friendly places and can drive many new players away. Play with your buddy who convinced you to play or find a guild that says they're willing to help new players.

If you really want to like World of Warcraft, give it a shot from the perspective of a new player -- at level 1. You'll get to experience the grind and the lore for yourself without being so frustrated.
10/23/2014 05:04 AMPosted by Shortdeath
Yo! Well I'm glad you're giving WoW a try and, I have to say, you seem to have made quite a bit of progress in a short amount of time.

while its commendable that a new player has accomplished a decent amount why is it some of us that have been long time fans rarely or dont even get any Blue responses to some of our threads? ive raised a few topics id enjoy seeing Blues address only to never see anything come from it not to try and put myself above some new player concerns but it would be nice to get a blue reply stating that we will look into your issue and pass along your suggestions to those that have the power and could try to make the changes youve mentioned

No offense but just because you raised a few topics that you would like to see a Blue address does not mean they were important or even good enough for them to address. I would like them to address why I can no long make dark humans but I don't need them to make a post on my thread about it.

Boosted characters should have to start off in some type of type of starter zone, something like the monk temple would work. Just something with a few quest, profession npcs, and a scenario or two to help them learn a few basics. By offering the boost and not putting in a way for characters to become connected to their characters or game play they have upped the odds that new players will leave the game very quickly. Not only will they leave the game quickly but give a negative review anyone asking about their time playing WoW.

In order for WoW to stay a float they need new players to come in and enjoy the game. The boost while, nice for old or returning players, is not something that is good for new players because it lacks a decent tutorial. The Proving Grounds is not a tutorial, it is nothing more than a skill check.
IMO Blizzard really needs to make 90 boosts only available to people who have at least one level 90 already, kinda like how we can't create death knights unless we've reached level 60 first (not sure if this is still the case).
10/22/2014 06:06 PMPosted by Adwarfshaman

Looking at your profile it does show that you did actually complete the Jade Forest achievement. You can see it here: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/blackhand/Thphlstr/achievement#96:15110:a6534 I'm not sure why you may not be seeing it as complete in-game.

As far as your experience with the Blazing Chests on the Timeless Isle, I haven't personally heard of them disappearing like that before, or being opened and not having loot inside. I'm also not seeing any open bugs on the issue, but that doesn't mean it couldn't be a current problem, or just an a one time error on our end. However, we do have a system in-place where items you don't pick up will be mailed to you. Sometimes it can take a bit so I'd recommend waiting a day, but you may very well have those items mailed to you.

this patch when i touch the crane statue on timeless isle and get shot up into the air when opening the chests 3/4ths of the time they will not have anything inside of them, i dont know if this is related but its bothersome

This same thing happened to me yesterday. One chest had contents, the rest were empty.
10/23/2014 05:28 AMPosted by Tiresias
Boosted characters should have to start off in some type of type of starter zone, something like the monk temple would work. Just something with a few quest, profession npcs, and a scenario or two to help them learn a few basics. By offering the boost and not putting in a way for characters to become connected to their characters or game play they have upped the odds that new players will leave the game very quickly. Not only will they leave the game quickly but give a negative review anyone asking about their time playing WoW.

They do. Newly boosted 90s start in the Blasted Lands at the Iron Horde event. They have to finish the event to have access to all their spells. Once Draenor launches, they'll have a proper starting experience.
10/22/2014 04:42 PMPosted by Warthane
10/22/2014 04:34 PMPosted by Kzi
Don't buy a car before you test drive it

Last time I checked, you needed to go through a lot more systems to purchase a car. They even have to find out if you have the ability to pay off the car. WoW is 15 dollars a month, and that price is rather monotonous considering how little we get in return for the content they spill out.

Don't get loan, pay cash?
I loved reading your perspective on the game as new player. I remember when everything was new and shiny, the game was awesome. Like others have stated boosting was a terrible idea.
It looks like you purchased a 90 and want to jump right in. That is fine and well, but there are lots of little things you may never learn about the game starting at max level.

IMO, roll a level 1 toon and go adventure a little.
10/22/2014 04:16 PMPosted by Thphlstr
I want to like this game, I really do. But my experience in the few days i played have all just been awful.

Don't WORRY about the game. Sounds like you have some awesome friends, worry about not losing them. Hold onto those friends with all of your might. Don't ever lose those friends.

Here is what happened to you in the game. They took for granted about your auto loot thing. Honest mistake. The fact that they felt bad for you and tried to help you speaks volumes for them. Like I said, don't care about the game. Just hold fast to those friends because, believe me, if you find people like them from just roaming around the game then you won the lottery indeed.

Rock on!
Try and get your boost refunded. Start at level 1 and go through the motions. At level 60 (if you desire) you can boost and have both of your current professions maxed out along with first aid so you will be ready for WoD.
10/22/2014 04:48 PMPosted by Apathyx
You might want to try and see if you like the actual end-game Like ignore timeless isle, it's boring.

EX:

Raiding (PvE) or Battlegrounds/arena (PvP).

Because in my opinion.. The absolute boring aspects of the game for me are things like timeless isle, levelling professions, questing.

If they removed the higher-level content like Mythic Raids, challenge modes, proving grounds, grouping with friends for BGs, etc.. I'd probably quit.

To each their own... the things you dislike are the things that drew me to the game. On the flip side I wouldn't care (or even notice) if they removed Raids and Battlegrounds altogether.
I have been playing WoW for a very long time. In all that time one thing that I learned (the hard way) is, when getting friends started, follow them on a like leveled toon starting from level 1 and just answer questions. It took me a long time to realize that, having played for so long, experienced players forget the feeling they had in discovering new places and things is a big part of the enjoyment of the start of the game. If you tell new players 'next we are going to go to xxxx and when we find xxxx we do xxxx and then xxxx will happen so then we can xxxx'. It really takes a lot of the wonder out of the new experience.

Let them do the exploring and discovering while you help them understand what they're doing by letting them try things and giving them information when they ask for it or when they have messed up. If you take them at top level and walk them through holding their hands it becomes a lot less exciting and new for them.

The best advice I give new players is if you are not having fun and screwing up you're doing it wrong. The veterans' job in leading new players should be to follow them and help when they need it. Not do it for them and explain why it worked.

Give it a try from the beginning. Try different class/race/spec combinations. There are so many to choose from you should find something that you will like.
I don't understand why you would boost if you wanted a grind. O_o maybe I'm missing something here.
10/22/2014 04:16 PMPosted by Thphlstr
i just want to feel this "fun" that my friends have, but i just cant find it.

LMAO

"There should be a science of discontent. People need hard times and oppression to develop psychic muscles."
— Frank Herbert, Dune

That is what WoW truly offers imo.
One of the dangers of giving out max level characters....bad first impressions.

This is not a good time to start WoW at max level. It's pretty much the dead time between the good stuff for max level characters.

Also, those things sound like user error to me. :( Double check to make sure you didn't actually the get items/achievement and just didn't realize it.

Also, you can have professions of every type. You just have to earn them(or now buy them) by having alts.
10/23/2014 05:31 AMPosted by Feisung
IMO Blizzard really needs to make 90 boosts only available to people who have at least one level 90 already, kinda like how we can't create death knights unless we've reached level 60 first (not sure if this is still the case).
Had to have at least one charcter at level 55 before you could create a dk I thought back at wrath release. From what I remember anyhow, because dk's started at 55 you had to have at least one other charcter at 55?
If what you like watching bars fill up then WoW is definitely your game. You see there are these things called reputations, at max level the bar shows by default (I believe). Increase your standing with the multitude of factions within the game!

There are achievements and titles associated with them as well, as fill up one then work on another, enjoy that grind, you'll be at it for awhile.
10/23/2014 05:04 AMPosted by Shortdeath

Blues only answer me on Twitter when i'm on "trolly/whiny" mode and not when i'm nice or fun (except for Nethaera once, she's that nice) ...go figure.