Ret: Exo's low priority

Paladin
Would some enlightened soul please kindly explain the mechanics behind Exo's low priority for Ret?

This is something I've wondered about for years. I get that it doesn't benefit from mastery and haste, but it seems to me like every time I track it, it hits quite a lot harder than CS. Last night for example, while I was doing the patch quests on my old Pally alt, Exo was consistently hitting 3 to 4 times (!!!) harder than CS. This is around 520 ilvl. Now these were mostly short fights so it's possible that some trinket proc was skewing stats in Exo's favor, but it was the far heavier hitter every single time I looked, not just on a couple pulls.

Is that just because of low mastery values or something? How much do you need for CS to pull ahead if it's so far behind at 520? And is the damage per hit the determining factor? I can't find the thread links I'm specifically thinking of at the moment, but on the Beta forums there were a number of posts that were even more caustic about Exo priority than usual, and it's usually pretty bad. So when I logged on and saw it hitting so hard, I was surprised, and I feel like I really don't understand why it is on the low rung yet again.

Thanks for any insight (nyuk).
doesn't hit that hard, doesn't trigger mastery procs or seal procs. it's pretty boss at low levels, and for generally tagging things at range, but it's not very hard-hitting compared to the rest of ret's attacks.
The total damage from CS and Judgement are higher.
From my last log average across 7 boss fights:
Exo: 6.69k
CS: 4.94k
Judgement: 6.34k

Actual Damage:
CS: 4.94k + 64% buffed mastery (will log as hand of light) = 8.10k
Judgement: 6.34k + 12% seal bonus (will log as seal of truth/righteous/etc.) = 7.10k

For my current gear, CS overtakes Exo at 35.4% mastery. That may scale a bit differently for you, but that's a fairly low mastery level.
10/23/2014 09:54 AMPosted by Zentropa
Actual Damage:
CS: 4.94k + 64% buffed mastery (will log as hand of light) = 8.10k
Judgement: 6.34k + 12% seal bonus (will log as seal of truth/righteous/etc.) = 7.10k
You forgot to include the seal proc for CS as well.
I feel like something with such a high cooldown AND something that gives you reset cooldowns for it should be higher up on the want to press list, so what if they lowered the damage a tiny bit but let it at least work off mastery?
People have been asking for it for a while, and they decided to "solve" it by putting a really good tier bonus in for exo, but what happens the tier after?
10/23/2014 02:21 PMPosted by Cayse
People have been asking for it for a while, and they decided to "solve" it by putting a really good tier bonus in for exo, but what happens the tier after?

It becomes baseline like all Ret set pieces! Yay!
Crusader Strike: 4s~ cooldown
Judgment: 5s~ cooldown
Exo: 13s~ cooldown

The thing is, Templar's Verdict is your #1 damage generator and the lower cooldown abilities help get your holy power up faster. Exo can reset on a proc, but it doesn't always reset. By using crusader and judgment first, if you verdict (or somet other global) they will still always be up to use again, which nets you more holy power. I never looked at it as a damage thing between the HP generators, it's just a matter of getting more HP for Verdict
10/23/2014 03:22 PMPosted by Mitsy
it's just a matter of getting more HP for Verdict

Exactly the others have way less cooldown so they generate more holy power over time AND they get the benefit of doing more damage so Exo needs help one way or the other.
Thank you, everyone, for your answers, they are all appreciated.

Mitsy, yeah that what it seemed like the issue would have to be, that the damage done is really not the point and it is instead about average HP accrual. I was just surprised to see the damage swing as far as it did out questing and was curious if there was something else going on.

Thanks again.