Moonfang is lvl 103…Working as Intended?

General Discussion
1 2 3 6 Next
The Dreadfang mobs you need to kill for her to spawn are now lvl 101, and Moonfang is 103 (raid boss level), 10+ levels higher than current players.

No lower population realms will be able to kill her the entire DMF event (we killed her, but with 40 or more people).

Is a fix incoming for this?

UPDATE (11/3/2014)
Moonfang and other DMF mobs were hotfixed back down to pre-WoD levels, as per the latest patch notes.
11/02/2014 10:09 AMPosted by Isada

Not likely. Everything is ready for the WoD launch in a couple weeks.

It may not have been intended to push this particular mob up this soon, but they are not likely going to issue a fix, which would need a patch on Tuesday, just to change it back the next week.
Bump to this.

Please do some kind of fix? It's not cool to make us miss an entire month because we're too low level -- and incapable of getting to the level to fight her :(
11/02/2014 01:21 PMPosted by Dziewona
Bump to this.

Please do some kind of fix? It's not cool to make us miss an entire month because we're too low level -- and incapable of getting to the level to fight her :(

Nothing needs to be fixed, the xpack launches in a little over a week.
Nothing needs to be fixed, the xpack launches in a little over a week.

Er. And in a week, the Darkmoon Faire will be over.

So yes, it does need to be fixed. So long as the players can only achieve level 90, Moonfang needs to be scaled to level 90 players.
11/02/2014 01:55 PMPosted by Dziewona
So long as the players can only achieve level 90, Moonfang needs to be scaled to level 90 players.

Sorry, don't agree with this. Pre-patch stuff has always been like this, and it's not likely to change. It's not as if the Darkmoon Faire is disappearing forever, either. Level to 100 when WoD launches, and come back next Faire.
There seems to be a widespread misconception that in an MMO, players are always entitled to kill any mob, defeat any encounter, obtain any item no matter how rare, accomplish anything conceivable, at any time, no matter what. This is incorrect.
There seems to be a widespread misconception that in an MMO, players are always entitled to kill any mob, defeat any encounter, obtain any item no matter how rare, accomplish anything conceivable, at any time, no matter what. This is incorrect.

There is a difference between 'entitled' and 'capable of'. Having the mobs be literally unkillable, and the players unable to level up to compete, is a mistake. Moonfang should obviously have remained 90 for this Darkmoon Faire, as it is impossible for the players to be level 100 yet. This is a flaw. Whether it's been a flaw in the past or not is rather irrelevant. It's still a flaw.
In 6.0.2, level 100 is the max level. Therefore "boss" mobs (and target dummies) are level 103. This is by design. The fact that we can't reach max level until the expansion launches is irrelevant, because we are technically playing WOD now.
11/02/2014 03:22 PMPosted by Dziewona
This is a flaw. Whether it's been a flaw in the past or not is rather irrelevant. It's still a flaw.

A flaw implies something that needs to be fixed. I doubt this "needs" a fix since only one DMF week is going to be affected. Indeed such things have happened in the past, and no "fix" was done then. So I would not expect anything to be done this time around. And I suspect that this is just viewed as an unavoidable side effect of transitioning to a new expansion with a new level cap.

But, if you want to report it as a bug, you want the bug report forum. This forum is not reviewed by the QA team.
Having the mobs be literally unkillable, and the players unable to level up to compete, is a mistake.

They aren't "unkillable".

But you probably should have a geared raid group if you want to kill her this week.

Moonfang should obviously have remained 90 for this Darkmoon Faire, as it is impossible for the players to be level 100 yet. This is a flaw. Whether it's been a flaw in the past or not is rather irrelevant. It's still a flaw.

This may be true, but if you're only now learning that WoW isn't perfect and Life's not fair, there's not much more I can say.
There is a difference between 'entitled' and 'capable of'. Having the mobs be literally unkillable, and the players unable to level up to compete, is a mistake.

You're right. Having a mob be "literally unkillable" would be a mistake.

However, the mob is not unkillable. Read the OP:

(we killed her, but with 40 or more people).
Well, Moonfang is killable at boss level 100…but it requires 40-50 players and about 15-20 minutes with LOTS of deaths. That just won't happen on a low population realm. Luckily, I have an alt on a high pop realm, so I might be able to kill her a few times before the DMF ends.

But really, it seems like a silly design decision to make (at best), or a careless design mistake (at worst)…
11/02/2014 02:27 PMPosted by Tachya

I don't think these are comparable, necessarily. There are plenty of pets/mounts/achievements in game that I don't feel at all entitled to whatsoever. Nor, do I feel entitled to any drops from Moonfang. But, the design intent for the fight is currently out-of-whack, making it far more difficult than intended.

Moonfang was designed to be an at-level boss mob. Currently, she is not. She wasn't introduced to be 10+ levels higher than players. Thus, the intent of the fight is not being realized. It's not that people feel entitled (although some might, I suppose), it's that the fight is not tuned correctly whatsoever.

It's not broken.
11/02/2014 04:14 PMPosted by Isada
Moonfang was designed to be an at-level boss mob. Currently, she is not. She wasn't introduced to be 10+ levels higher than players. Thus, the intent of the fight is not being realized. It's not that people feel entitled (although some might, I suppose), it's that the fight is not tuned correctly whatsoever.

Given that since the patch, the max level is 100, she is tuned correctly.
11/02/2014 04:17 PMPosted by Haunter
darkmoon rabbit was 93 for the mop prelaunch iirc.

working as intended i'd say.

Hmmm, you might be right…I vaguely remember that.

Well, given that Blizzard hasn't said anything, and that everyone else in this thread seems to think it's not weird to make content temporarily obsolete, I guess I'll just pipe down about it and be glad I'm on a high pop realm. =)