glyph of explosive trap's knockback

Hunter
11/04/2014 12:57 PMPosted by Hardivh
It's not a straight line from the hunter, it's the direction the hunter is facing

Okay, now that is just plain silly...

11/04/2014 01:52 PMPosted by Erugan
Fell lash is a point, and is superior in that it has no travel time (and only a 25 sec CD)

Isn't Fellash's point of origin the pet? Same principle as the others then, the point of origin is not an instantly created point within a ~10 yard circle (40 yards made no sense...however, even considering just the area that would trigger the trap on landing, there is a plethora of directions it could cause instantly)

I will admit that if what Hardivh says is true, there is something quirky. I need to go and pay close attention to what it is doing. I was certain it was based on my relative position, and not my direction.

Regardless, I have no issue with it going back to Point of Origin (for Knockback direction) being the trap, rather than the hunter. I just see a logical reason for why it isn't that, simply because of the loss of the arming time on the trap.
11/04/2014 01:17 PMPosted by Adroi
Again, more misinformation. the purpose of a knock back isn't only for gap closing. I used explosive trap to interrupts casts like fist of fury, chaos bolt, resurrection, etc.

All of those still work.

I used it also defensively if a rogue bombed on my healer and I needed to help peel them.
Pretty sure that, as a knockback, the rogue would still be moved from the trap, just in the direction of Hunter -> Victim, rather than Trap -> Victim.

I used it to force healer LOS of their team mate while their sitting in a trap.

Now this is a feature that is no longer as viable, as you have to be in a position where the new desired location is in a line from you to victim, rather than aiming to the side with the trap. The healer still gets moved though.

Or vice-versa we might knock a target off the landing in sewers to force them LOS of their healer.

Similar to the above, however, as pointed out, you don't have to worry about lag or a slight mis-aiming causing them to go in the wrong direction. They (should) always go in a straight line from You -> Them, even if that isn't the most ideal direction.

again, it's function isn't as simple as knocking things back.

So neither is Typhoon or T-Storm then? Because, those seem to still be useful even though both are quasi melee range knockbacks on ranged DPS.

At least we don't have to be within 15 yards to use our knockback.
Do me a favor, name one knockback, delivered instantly at range, that knocks back based on a relative position of point of origin vs victim.

11/04/2014 01:52 PMPosted by Erugan
Unless it was different in Vanila or BC, typhoon has always been a cone in front of druid, still doing a knocback in a line between affected targets and druid.

?

the boomkin is the point of origin.

if he wants to define it as a non-player then go ahead, but that isn't what was said/asked. the question was a ranged knock back. if you want to get stuck on ranged versus AT ranged... that wasn't specific enough. boomkin knock back and trap respond in a very similar fashion now. well, except that the boomkin knock back is actually more logical and functional.

the explosion and knock back should be only relative to the position of the trap and have no regard for the hunter.
11/04/2014 02:04 PMPosted by Adroi
?

the boomkin is the point of origin.

if he wants to define it as a non-player then go ahead, but that isn't what was said/asked.

11/04/2014 12:48 PMPosted by Verdash
Do me a favor, name one knockback, delivered instantly at range, that knocks back based on a relative position of point of origin vs victim.

To clarify, name one that the point of origin is instantly created at the time the ability is used, rather than fixated on a player (or their pet).

That flexibility in directing the knockback, without having to move your own position, is a significant factor, especially on a knockback with the range ExpT has.

the explosion and knock back should be only relative to the position of the trap and have no regard for the hunter.

I gave you a reason why this may be considered "too much". ExpT already has several factors going for it compared to others.

40 yard range rather than 15 (slightly more on Succy Pet)
Short Cooldown (even shorter for SV)
Doesn't require a specific Pet (for Fellash)

Adding in a instantly created point of origin that is not the player may just be too much on top of that.

well, except that the boomkin knock back is actually more logical and functional.

Both push the victim away from the player. It is just as functional as Typhoon. (More so in fact, as it has better range, and a shorter CD for SV at least)

"Logical" is a stretch (yes it does make sense for the Trap to be the point of origin), but Balance > Logic.
11/04/2014 01:57 PMPosted by Verdash
Isn't Fellash's point of origin the pet? Same principle as the others then, the point of origin is not an instantly created point within a ~10 yard circle (40 yards made no sense...however, even considering just the area that would trigger the trap on landing, there is a plethora of directions it could cause instantly)

Fell lash's PoO is the center of the whiplash radius area, not the pet. at least, thats what wow head said, if it got changed with 6.0, I'm not seeing anything about that, but I haven't dived into the warlock forums yet.

I mis-understood the question possibly, I thought he asked to name a knock back that was based on a PoO that wasn't the player other than ET.
11/04/2014 02:10 PMPosted by Erugan
I mis-understood the question possibly, I thought he asked to name a knock back that was based on a PoO that wasn't the player other than ET.

That was what I was after, and Fellash maybe the oddity it sounds like.
I didn't word it well apparently.
Yea, according to wow head (the comment section), fell lash, and whiplash (demon and grimoir of sacrifice edition) are all based on the center of the targeted radius area.
11/04/2014 02:03 PMPosted by Verdash
All of those still work.

clearly. but you were defining the purpose of the trap as ONLY as a gap opener, which it is not.

Pretty sure that, as a knockback, the rogue would still be moved from the trap, just in the direction of Hunter -> Victim, rather than Trap -> Victim.

and that's why it fails now. it might only knock the rogue a couple inches versus off an edge potentially. especially on sewers if hes hugging the boxes when he opens on your team. if it means I have to move from wherever I am, just to get him to knocked off properly, thats broken.

you say it made the trap more functional by making it more reliable at that one task, but the fact is it's not more difficult todo tasks that were relatively simple before. why add another layer to something that was already simple? knocking someone back was already simple.

Now this is a feature that is no longer as viable, as you have to be in a position where the new desired location is in a line from you to victim, rather than aiming to the side with the trap. The healer still gets moved though.

and again removing functionality. hunter's already lost a lot of functionality and utility in cc. no blanket silence, no scatter, no hunter'r mark, no dot that uses focus, etc. taking even more away with trap is a poor direction.

Similar to the above, however, as pointed out, you don't have to worry about lag or a slight mis-aiming causing them to go in the wrong direction. They (should) always go in a straight line from You -> Them, even if that isn't the most ideal direction.

?

instead of aiming, you're trying to position yourself relative to a moving target. how is that easier? it's the same. if someone see me moving in a certain direction, they can easily counter it. it's no different then positioning yourself properly versus an ele sham. if someone knows a hunter can knock off in only ONE direction, then it's easy to counter.

At least we don't have to be within 15 yards to use our knockback.

travel time says otherwise.

anyways.

i'm not sure why you're so adamantly defending this? why is it bad for me to want what we already had? it doesn't logically function how it should. the trap should be the point of origin for the explosion. it adds a ridiculous layer of complexity by making the hunter the point of reference. you say it's simpler.. I say it's not by a long shot compared to how it has functioned for years.

it's broken as it stand now. it should be fixed. everything blizzard does isn't beautiful. they do a lot of awesome things. this isn't one of them.
11/04/2014 02:19 PMPosted by Adroi
clearly. but you were defining the purpose of the trap as ONLY as a gap opener, which it is not.

No, just that aspect of the ability is now "more functional". Many of the other uses are minimally impacted, and only specific uses where prevented by this change. Arguably, those uses where intended to be curbed. Its your fault for having your back to a cliff vs a Boom or S Shaman. You can't really react fast enough to avoid a short term TL flight, even though the hunter was the one against a cliff.

and that's why it fails now. it might only knock the rogue a couple inches versus off an edge potentially. especially on sewers if hes hugging the boxes when he opens on your team. if it means I have to move from wherever I am, just to get him to knocked off properly, thats broken.

You mean like a Boom or Elem Shaman would have to do?

you say it made the trap more functional by making it more reliable at that one task, but the fact is it's not more difficult todo tasks that were relatively simple before. why add another layer to something that was already simple? knocking someone back was already simple.

Because before, the opponent had 2 seconds to react to the placement. If he didn't move, it was his fault. Now, it happens before the trap animates on the ground.

and again removing functionality. hunter's already lost a lot of functionality and utility in cc. no blanket silence, no scatter, no hunter'r mark, no dot that uses focus, etc. taking even more away with trap is a poor direction.

And I think intentionally, for all the reasons I have mentioned on this thread. Even with the loss of utility, having a knockback direction that the opponent cannot reasonably react to, is (arguably) too much.

?

instead of aiming, you're trying to position yourself relative to a moving target. how is that easier? it's the same. if someone see me moving in a certain direction, they can easily counter it. it's no different then positioning yourself properly versus an ele sham. if someone knows a hunter can knock off in only ONE direction, then it's easy to counter.

Which is probably the intent behind the change, are you getting it yet? Before you reacted to the trap spawning, now you have to react to where the caster is, just like Booms and E Shams. Unlike those though, our range is 40 yards, theirs is only 15 (but they don't have a flight time, so it isn't too one sided).

i'm not sure why you're so adamantly defending this? why is it bad for me to want what we already had?

You want the 2 second arming time back? Because I sure don't. I am glad that POS mechanic is dead and buried.

it doesn't logically function how it should. the trap should be the point of origin for the explosion. it adds a ridiculous layer of complexity by making the hunter the point of reference.

Not really, it qorks more similar to other ranged knockbacks. Balance > Logic.

it's broken as it stand now. it should be fixed. everything blizzard does isn't beautiful. they do a lot of awesome things. this isn't one of them.

I disagree. This feature of a glyph being altered is not as bad as having to deal with arming time and a second CD to support the arming time. I know Blizz isn't perfect (I have my own complaints as well). This one though, we disagree, the change is worth it due to the loss of arming time, and the increased triggered radius (pretty sure there was one).
dont know if you guys have tried this...but if you want your trap to push someone in a certain way all you have to do is change the direction your facing then shoot the trap

it is based of the direction you are facing the moment you shoot it i have just been spinning my character to the direction i want the trap to blow right b4 launching and it ALWAYS goes that way makes it alot easier too because it blows EVERYONE in the SAME DIRECTION unlike before.

so example for lm if you face to look off the cliff then throw trap it will blow every single person hit off the cliff unlike before where it would get 1-2 and scatter the rest.

this is def not as intended and a bug and should be fixed as it is easily to abused in regular bgs and probably rbgs im pushing off entire teams in eots atm.
11/04/2014 02:28 PMPosted by Verdash
Because before, the opponent had 2 seconds to react to the placement. If he didn't move, it was his fault. Now, it happens before the trap animates on the ground.

no they didn't.

it hasn't been 2 seconds as far back as wrath or longer.

You mean like a Boom or Elem Shaman would have to do?

what does that have todo with anything? that game shouldn't be homogenous. should we get a daze effect as well? then maybe it would be like ele or boomi.

explosive trap isn't typhoon and isn't thunderstorm. it doesn't need to function like either.

Many of the other uses are minimally impacted,

you don't have the experience to make that judgement. saying the other functions I described as being minimally impacted is flat out wrong.

You want the 2 second arming time back? Because I sure don't. I am glad that POS mechanic is dead and buried.

quit saying it's 2 seconds.

Not really, it qorks more similar to other ranged knockbacks. Balance > Logic.

so balance it and give it daze and don't allow it to be affected by trap launcher and let us use it while we are stunned.

/logic

This one though, we disagree, the change is worth it due to the loss of arming time, and the increased triggered radius (pretty sure there was one).

the loss of an arming time was matched against increased travel time making it far less effective at a distance. whether you had a 1 or 2 second load time or w/e... now you have a 1-2s travel time.
11/04/2014 02:30 PMPosted by Ingredients
it is based of the direction you are facing the moment you shoot it i have just been spinning my character to the direction i want the trap to blow right b4 launching and it ALWAYS goes that way makes it alot easier too because it blows EVERYONE in the SAME DIRECTION unlike before.

as someone who never takes this glyph, this is good to know (cause obviously I wouldn't be able to test it myself)
11/04/2014 03:02 PMPosted by Adroi
no they didn't.

it hasn't been 2 seconds as far back as wrath or longer.

I don't think we even had TL in WotLK, we had Freezing Arrow, but that was replaced by TL (complete with arming time)

what does that have todo with anything? that game shouldn't be homogenous. should we get a daze effect as well? then maybe it would be like ele or boomi.

No, we get a significantly higher range, why does there need to be more of a difference?

you don't have the experience to make that judgement. saying the other functions I described as being minimally impacted is flat out wrong.

I didn't say all others were minimally, I said many. Again, not all, many. And seriously, resorting to armory bashing? Can't you just pay attention to what I am saying?

quit saying it's 2 seconds.

Show me evidence it is less. I dug up my "collaborating" evidence, and it was from 10/2013.

so balance it and give it daze and don't allow it to be affected by trap launcher and let us use it while we are stunned.

/logic

Why make it a Typhoon clone? It being similar is not the same thing as identical. I showed you why having the trap being the PoO has actual balance issues, arguing against that.

the loss of an arming time was matched against increased travel time making it far less effective at a distance. whether you had a 1 or 2 second load time or w/e... now you have a 1-2s travel time.

Even at max distant, the trap lands just before the GCD clears, so please continue exaggerating. Seriously, the slower flight is still significantly better than an arming time, especially considering that Scatter was removed.

11/04/2014 03:13 PMPosted by Leorina
11/04/2014 02:30 PMPosted by Ingredients

as someone who never takes this glyph, this is good to know (cause obviously I wouldn't be able to test it myself)

That's quirky...personally I was thinking it directed based on your relative position (Hunter to Victim), that made more sense to me honestly...
11/04/2014 03:48 PMPosted by Verdash
That's quirky...personally I was thinking it directed based on your relative position (Hunter to Victim), that made more sense to me honestly...

I'm going to throw this at a bunch of mobs then face in the same direction as the druids and get them in trouble.
I stopped using the glyph because of this. It just isn't as fun as it was before. I have more fun/success with my ele shaman knocking players where I want them than my hunters now clunky knock back.

I must say, I find the down votes on an arena master,2400 rated player hilarious. There is no way someone with that experience and level of play could possibly know what they are talking about right?

The current state of the glyph is garbage period. You can try and explain and justify it til you turn blue and pass out, it's still garbage.
i don't think we even had TL in WotLK, we had Freezing Arrow, but that was replaced by TL (complete with arming time)

what does this have todo with trap loader?

didn't say all others were minimally, I said many. Again, not all, many. And seriously, resorting to armory bashing? Can't you just pay attention to what I am saying?

armory bashing?

how am I bashing? I said you don't have the experience. you don't. I'm not bashing you. how in any way am I bashing? you mean I can't even look to see what your experience is? I can't click on your armory to see who i'm talking to?

what a ridiculous notion. I'm not even bashing your comments. I don't agree with them, and we are both trying to argue our points as best we can... but i'm not going to ignore the fact when you are constantly minimizing the points I'm making. Saying the changes of any type are minimal is only from your limited view of the ability. it's not wrong, but it's certainly not right either.

Show me evidence it is less. I dug up my "collaborating" evidence, and it was from 10/2013.

http://www.twitch.tv/dillypoo69/c/4055817

I don't get why you're asking for evidence as if this is some far fetched thing. either you have been playing the game or you haven't been. if you had played the game at all over the past few years you would know that explosive trap doesn't take 2 seconds to arm.

honestly this just throws the rest of your argument out because you don't even get how the trap functions... or you don't use it enough to realize this is how it had worked for ages. then it starts to make complete sense why you would call the changes minimal on any level... because you're not actually using it.

Even at max distant, the trap lands just before the GCD clears, so please continue exaggerating. Seriously, the slower flight is still significantly better than an arming time, especially considering that Scatter was removed.

are you serious?

put the trap at max distance and launch it. you can get 2 GCDs in before the trap lands. are you trolling me now? i can put ice trap in the air before explosive trap even lands.
11/04/2014 04:36 PMPosted by Adroi
armory bashing?

how am I bashing? I said you don't have the experience. you don't. I'm not bashing you. how in any way am I bashing? you mean I can't even look to see what your experience is? I can't click on your armory to see who i'm talking to?

What makes you think I don't have experience?
My armory. So, address my points, not my achievement points.

but i'm not going to ignore the fact when you are constantly minimizing the points I'm making. Saying the changes of any type are minimal is only from your limited view of the ability.

You can still knockback a melee on your healer, you just don't pick the direction the same. That is minimal.

You can still knock something away from you, you just don;t pick the direction the same. That is minimal.

You can't knock people off a cliff without having them between you and the cliff, that is not minimal, nor did I intend to claim in was. In fact, my claim is they specifically eliminated this possibility because of its range, and how quickly the PoO can be relocated compared to other ranged knockbacks (i.e. flight time, rather than walking time)

I don't get why you're asking for evidence as if this is some far fetched thing. either you have been playing the game or you haven't been. if you had played the game at all over the past few years you would know that explosive trap doesn't take 2 seconds to arm.

Since WoD, it doesn't take any time to arm. In MoP, it took 2 seconds (supposedly), which I verified by digging up some posts from that time frame.

It maybe that I am incorrect, but that detail (it used to being 1 sec vs 2 secs) is not as important as the fact that instant trigger on landing leaves no room for the opponent to adjust to the PoO of the knockback, unlike every other knockback in the game (Fellash may be an exception, but its details elude me on any reasonable degree of accuracy).

are you serious?

put the trap at max distance and launch it. you can get 2 GCDs in before the trap lands. are you trolling me now? i can put ice trap in the air before explosive trap even lands.

I tried it several days ago, but I tried it just now. I think 2 GCDs is a bit excessive, but it is a bit slower than I recall. /shrug - I'll admit exaggerating this a bit...now I wonder what I was looking at...

As I said, doesn't change that it triggering immediately on landing doesn't allow for people to react to its exact position (you can guess, but that is nowhere near the same as literally seeing the PoO walking up to you, as the case is for Boom and Shamans).

I also tried facing a different direction when launching the trap. The mob knocked back away from me, not in the direction I was facing. I even had the trap placed on the other side of the mob from me. The mob still knocked back away from me, not the trap, not the direction I was facing.

So, PoO is from the Hunter, as far as I could tell. Doesn't matter facing or trap positioning.

Which brings back to my initial point, they want players to be able to react. No bouncing the opponent over your head off the cliff behind you anymore. Just picture as an extended typhoon (greatly extended, but no daze).

And there is a logical reason for it to work that way, which was my original point in the first place.

Edit: RE max range - I'll say the same thing I say to the Freezing Trap complaints. Traps were never accurate at max range without a support CC, that didn't change. What did change, is short range Traps don't need a support CC.
11/04/2014 05:06 PMPosted by Verdash
What makes you think I don't have experience?
My armory. So, address my points, not my achievement points.

since most of my points are specifically addressing PVP scenerios, and that's what you're commenting on, i'm going to look at your experience. I did not, and have no need to call you bad or anything of the sort. even good players can disagree... but you aren't even making those types of points. you're simply wrong. not even from a style stand point.

I am addressing your points and you're making in correct ones.

You can still knockback a melee on your healer, you just don't pick the direction the same. That is minimal.

it's not minimal.

quit saying it's minimal. if my healer is on the ramp against the wall, I would literally have to go stack on them in some cases just to get knock off the target... but even if I was that close, it would still be minimal because I can't use the trap by simply placing in between the enemy and the wall to knock them off the ramp, away from the wall and away from my healer.

there are plenty more examples. the functionality was significantly diminished.

Since WoD, it doesn't take any time to arm. In MoP, it took 2 seconds (supposedly), which I verified by digging up some posts from that time frame.

verified?

I don't get what you mean verified for... do you or do you now play a hunter? why does this need to be verified by any external example. either you play the class and know this or you don't.

you verified that it was 2 seconds, which is wrong.

I think 2 GCDs is a bit excessive, but it is a bit slower than I recall. /shrug - I'll admit exaggerating this a bit...now I wonder what I was looking at...

you think 2 gcds is excessive? it's not an opinion.

As I said, doesn't change that it triggering immediately on landing doesn't allow for people to react to its exact position (you can guess, but that is nowhere near the same as literally seeing the PoO walking up to you, as the case is for Boom and Shamans).

the massive difference is this.

as trap was previously, it was as effective at 30 yards as it was a 0 yards. how I wanted it to work... what I wanted it to accomplish, didn't take into regard where I was standing.. which it shouldn't. it's an explosion on the ground. the knock back should be relative to the point of the explosion.

because of this, the trap as it is now, continues to get less and less effective the further i move away from it's target. not only does it have a long travel time, but because the trap is effected by my angle to the trap, i have to move a far greater distance to accomplish the same thing.

so take that into consideration when you simply want to SET the trap down. beyond the travel time, you also have to position yourself properly... all of that negates the fact it's instant. you're taking more time to prep then you were before in some situations.

the trap being instant has its nice advantages, but those advantages are diminished if that trap can functional in a logical sense. also, quit saying it's logical because it functions like thunder storm or boomkin... that's not logical, it's similar, but not logical.
11/04/2014 05:38 PMPosted by Adroi
it's not minimal.

quit saying it's minimal. if my healer is on the ramp against the wall, I would literally have to go stack on them in some cases just to get knock off the target... but even if I was that close, it would still be minimal because I can't use the trap by simply placing in between the enemy and the wall to knock them off the ramp, away from the wall and away from my healer.

Explain to me why ExpT needs to have that functionality, when before you (well the opponent) had opportunity to adjust his position to the PoO, and now without arming time (keeping in mind they don't know where you aimed, just a decent estimation based on arc and elevation) they have no time to adjust to the PoO (if it worked the way you wanted).

The way it works now, they adjust to the PoO (the hunter) same as they would for a Boom or Shaman. Unlike a Boom or Shaman though, they can't rely on just being out of range as easily.

you think 2 gcds is excessive? it's not an opinion.

Meaning, yes I can see one. I only gave it a few tests, not sure if a full 2 can start up. Either way, 40 yard trapping was never that useful without external setup CC (Scatter was only short range, assuming you used it rather than some other CC).

as trap was previously, it was as effective at 30 yards as it was a 0 yards. how I wanted it to work... what I wanted it to accomplish, didn't take into regard where I was standing.. which it shouldn't. it's an explosion on the ground. the knock back should be relative to the point of the explosion.

Yes this is a logical assumption. However, it doesn't take into account the capability of the opponent adjusting to the PoO like they used to. They had 2 seconds after it landed to adjust. Now, they have to adjust while it is in flight.

Well actually, now they just got to make sure they are not between you and a dangerous cliff, similar to other knockback effects. Again, ExpT still has a massive range potential advantage over those knockbacks. Even just at 20-25 yards, where flight time is not too long, you are looking at a noticeable gain over Typhoon/T-Storm.

because of this, the trap as it is now, continues to get less and less effective the further i move away from it's target. not only does it have a long travel time, but because the trap is effected by my angle to the trap, i have to move a far greater distance to accomplish the same thing.

I think it may be angle to the Victim, but a minor difference.

Yes that is a good point, but again, you can knockback from 40 yards (potentially), rather than a mere 15.
At 15, it is just as effective as Typhoon, outside of Concussive effect (and that is Typhoons max range).

so take that into consideration when you simply want to SET the trap down. beyond the travel time, you also have to position yourself properly... all of that negates the fact it's instant. you're taking more time to prep then you were before in some situations.

Negate is a bit of a strong wording. A different way to look at it is the ranged is compensated by the knockback directional hurdles. Compensated by is something I would agree with, personally.

the trap being instant has its nice advantages, but those advantages are diminished if that trap can functional in a logical sense. also, quit saying it's logical because it functions like thunder storm or boomkin... that's not logical, it's similar, but not logical.

Logical as in, it makes sense from a balance perspective. Not "RL" logic.
11/04/2014 12:57 PMPosted by Hardivh
It's not a straight line from the hunter, it's the direction the hunter is facing

i went to go prove you wrong because i spent like an hour with a friend the other night to make sure i wasnt wrong

http://imgur.com/a/BNwAe

i think they fixed it

ty blizzard