Proving Grounds Silver Tank

Dungeons, Raids and Scenarios
Just to chime in I'm currently ilvl 615 and the 7th wave is still pretty brutal. Gonna give it a few more tries then try and get a bit more gear I suppose.
I beat it after the 7th attempt. You have to immediately Faerie Fire the Mage upon spawn. In the last spawn you have to watch out because he comes after the initial group. Also helps to blow your cool downs as soon as the Mage appears in the last trial.

The key is to keep interrupt the mage. Faerie Fire and Skull Crush as much as possible. I didn't even think about using Cyclone but that would be viable too I suppose.
Just 1 shotted this on my DK
It seems to be primarily a problem with Druids. It was obnoxiously hard for me to tank it. I have no trouble tanking any of the heroics either. I've gotten much better gear since last night so I'm not sure how it scales with gear. With ilvl 615 stuff it was a nightmare requiring perfectly planning and a bit of luck.
I guess druid tanks have their mitigation tools centered on RNG dodges and self heals, and this can be a problem on one-shot mechanics.
It took me a few tries. I think it was my third attempt where I got it. I don't remember if I increased the DPS on the mobs or just focused heal bombing the complaining NPC they gave us to tank it.

I've only done it on a priest though. Can't speak for druids.
dunno i 1 shot both golds for my class if you arent getting healed for some reason use all your cds and kite
Wait, there were one-shoting guys in this? I managed to do silver after a first failed attempt (didn't know the mechanics and all), but I don't remember being one-shoted or receiving massive damage from a single ennemy.

Even during Endless, I never, ever was one-shoted.

If you're talking about the mages, I found that letting them hit the healer once or twice did help, especially if my CD were one or two seconds away. I mean, she can withstand that kind of damage for a couple seconds and then, you can rush the mage, interrupt him and he'll die pretty quickly.

But yeah, the only thing that these tanking proving grounds really do is testing your ability to keep your CD and use them at the right moment and your "ability" to be lucky with your dodge. As druids probably are the squishier tanks (less passive mitigation) and that our active mitigation relies on RNG, it might be harder. But here again, I didn't have these issues...
12/13/2014 01:56 PMPosted by Squeezy
12/10/2014 07:54 AMPosted by Farnzworth
i beat silver doing it as resto shaman, your doing something wrong.

The topic of discussion was whether or not it was bugged for guardian druids. Saying that you beat your trial with your resto shaman has nothing to do with tanking on a druid.

Also, the strategy for doing it as a healer is completely different than what a tank needs to do. For us, it's basically just a tank healing test.
Get geared to 630, make sure to use the consumables provided from the vendor, and do a little research beforehand (make sure you have enough stuns/interrupts glyphed). Most of the pulls should be LOS'd behind the barriers -- they're there for a reason. There are plenty of Bears steamrolling through PG's with no issues.
11/21/2014 10:41 PMPosted by Koshiba
While I didn't see any one-shotting all the way through to gold I do think the proving grounds are a good test. Active mitigation, positioning, cool down usage, and some kiting are all tested during it. It's now scaled to gear level versus the gear level scaling.

I suspect those having issues with it aren't looking at all the tools in their toolbox because I bet there's a game changer hidden in there. It could be a cool down or a crowd control ability, but I bet it's rather dusty and needs a little polish.

so much this. I 2-shot my gold run, but I had also done gold before in MoP so already knew what mobs were coming and their abilities. the first thing about tank proving grounds is..

learn that you're the tank. you're not there to dps the mobs down. the panda does that for you.

that being said, so long as you've got aggro on everything you are free to do whatever you want in there. as tank, there is no timer like there is in dps proving grounds. (or at least, no timer to beat or you "fail" the attempt)
be generous with your cd usage and kiting abilities. if you need breathing room to let the panda's heal roll for few seconds, knockbacks (yay typhoon!) and stuns (mighty bash) are a big help. ursol's vortex can also be useful in here but I didn't use it this time around. think outside the box to abilities you normally think you'd never use in pve content. =)

other than that you can sort of game which target the panda blows up first. she'll always choose the lowest health mob, knowing this is half the battle in getting past the most dangerous waves.
12/15/2014 08:35 AMPosted by Trolltollz
It seems to be primarily a problem with Druids. It was obnoxiously hard for me to tank it. I have no trouble tanking any of the heroics either. I've gotten much better gear since last night so I'm not sure how it scales with gear. With ilvl 615 stuff it was a nightmare requiring perfectly planning and a bit of luck.

I had no issues with tank proving grounds. however I didn't do mine until I had mastery gear in nearly all slots. and bonus armor everywhere I could get it (except cloak cause for some reason getting a ba cloak just isn't in my rng yet lol). so the way I was geared going in probably did help to some degree.

12/15/2014 08:53 AMPosted by Sengis
I guess druid tanks have their mitigation tools centered on RNG dodges and self heals, and this can be a problem on one-shot mechanics.

unsure if you mean from raid bosses or what.. but tank proving grounds has no one-shot mechanics. there are mechanics you have to move from or you will take significant damage but nothing that will flat out one-shot you unless you literally either do nothing to mitigate the damage or keep standing in fire.
Tanking proving grounds is indeed much more difficult than DPS or heals. It took me a few tries to get silver on my Pally (he had a ilvl of around 600-605 at the time) but my ilvl 608 bear gets wasted. There is indeed a damage spike toward the 3/4 mark in wave 7 and wave 8 makes you break out all your tools. A good challenge, but I think bears pulled the short straw this expansion when it comes to soaking up damage- at least for now.
I didn't have any problem with it, and went on and did endless 30 in one try as well. I don't even remember what happens on wave 7. Is that the one with two conquerors (enrage)? That's what I've seen most tanks having issues with. You can stun one as they're casting the enrage to stagger the enrages.

FWIW I was around ilvl 620 when I did endless 30. I don't know if there have been any changes to the proving grounds since I did it (11/23), though.

Oh, looks like it was the mages! As long as you keep all the agro off the healer and she's at full HP you can just let her get hit. You can do that in endless for a while, before the damage buff gets to be too much. Force of Nature is fantastic for those guys too, and wave X6 of the endless challenge to help tank the knockback guys.

I can't remember ever getting to a point where I'd be even close to a 1 shot though. Be sure to keep pulverize up or get it as fast as possible if it falls off between spawns, and don't forget to use stuns and interrupts. Running aways with stampeding roar is great too.
lolz, did it as 598
Good job, Apop. Have a cookie.
12/15/2014 09:00 PMPosted by Apoptosis
lolz, did it as 598
as of the maintenance 5 days ago its working as intended so no need to laugh at everybody that was catching the "glitch." i was having the "one-shot on wave 7" problem even with cd's popped, but after maintenance, i did it first try, no problems whatsoever. not sure if all druids were having this problem but most were
I did it as soon as I hit 100 in mostly lvl 90 gear, and failed the first time. After I selected my lvl100 talent and switched up my other talents I got through it without any trouble. So, doesn't seem bugged to me, unless it isn't scaling right as you gear up.
12/15/2014 05:17 PMPosted by Moggsy
make sure to use the consumables provided from the vendor,

It's a little hard to use their consumables when the healthstone vanishes from your inventory the moment you start the fight. Because apparently implementing Twitter integration from within the game is more important than fixing the hundreds of bugs that have been reported multiple times since beta and were completely ignored.

I finally did the silver PG on 5th or 6th attempt, with ilvl 614 gear. The NPC is completely worthless as a healer because she stops healing while she does DPS, and in the beginning of wave 7, there's too much fire damage that I cannot mitigate. I finally got through it by popping rejuvenation on myself 1 second before the wave started (and then just let the caster beat on the NPC while I kited the rest of the mobs around the fire puddles).